pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Your plans, for 2012 ?  (Read 19760 times)

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 04:46 »
I'm switching from Stolichnaya to Jameson.  :P

A big step forward!

Already went from Highland Park to Ardbeg, (still both are perfection) and then later in the evening, Black Grouse.

In the photo world, just put the S90 up for sale and ordered a G12. Gave the S a year and it's very nice, convenient size and all, but options and features and the lens on the G series makes it I had a G6 and it was a little on the large side, and silver. Now the G12, black, is smaller and has what I wanted, remote trigger for time lapse, no mirror, and added benefit, 720p, can I make stock video now? Did you know B&H has them for $379, free overnight shipping? Until Dec. 31st.
You could use this to make time lapses with the S90 http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/S90, I use it with the S95 and it works well.  Having a spare camera is useful for time lapses, you might want to do two of the same scene from different viewpoints.  The video from the G12 shouldn't be used for stock, I asked on the Pond5 forum about video from the s95, that's almost identical.  They said it has too many compression problems.  I suppose it's the equivalent of using too low a jpeg setting for stills?  The video looks good to me but I trust the people that know much more about it than I do.  You can do a search by camera used on Pond5 and I can't find any accepted with the G12.  Pond5 are more lenient than the other video sites I use.  It's a shame because I would like to use a compact for video.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:52 by sharpshot »

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 08:22 »
Short term goal : get some drinking water. In our city the water system collapsed totally by sheer incompetence. Go to the funerals of one of my colleagues (professor Spanish) and of one of my dear models that drowned in their houses by the flash flood or were dismembered by the debris. In my city (Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao, Phils) 700+ people died last Sunday. We have Internet back but not water. I didn't shoot any Editorial at all since it would make me feel dirty. The beggar kids sleeping under the Carmen bridge where gone. I noticed some pillows in the trees nearby. The stench is unbearable in the quarters affected. In the city proper, the malls are full with happy people shopping for Xmas. I told you so.

Her little sisters were over at my door at 5am last Monday. "If she was with me?". (She used to sleep over sometimes). She wasn't. In loving memory. She was pregnant.

Long term goal : start my own stock agency for all the lonely people. Eleanor Rigby promised to send a CD.
(sorry for the off-topic and my stalkers can eat their heart out - back to my old nick)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:31 by AttilaTheNun »

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28 »
Attila, I'm so sorry for what you and your country are going through. Things like this have a way of putting many things into perspective. I wish you safety and healing.

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 08:42 »
Attila, I'm so sorry for what you and your country are going through. Things like this have a way of putting many things into perspective. I wish you safety and healing.
My dear blue, I have many lives. it's not even my country. I don't even believe in countries or races any more. In the end, we will get all united by bashing iStock.  :P But thanks for your concern. It feels nice.

helix7

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 10:27 »
In 2012 I want to spend less time in forums.

;)

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01 »
+1
Micro will always be there for me because I love doing seasonal image themes but 2012 will bring a pleasant change for me
in that I plan to concentrate on entering the RM markets like Getty, Archangel and Alamy.
It will be a pleasant change and I'm looking forward to shooting more artistic moody type images(Arcangel). I want to discover the dark side of myself and have a pleasant balance, LOL!
I was getting tired of just editing bright blue skies and happy scenes!
As an example: I want to shoot an image of a dead daisy or leaf than a fresh beautiful vibrant one, LOL!
That is my goal...don't laugh! :)

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 11:26 »
I am the smallest fish in this pond, but here's my 2012 plan:

I won't do microstock unless I see an an image I actually like - aesthetically -  that won't cost me anything to produce.   IS has essentially ended for independents.  New sites like GL, that like my stuff and pay fair commissions, aren't making any sales.  SS is increasing, and DT is still there, but it isn't enough to repay any significant time spent.  I'm not spending any more time chasing hot new sites, getting approved, having best sellers rejected and filing appeals, getting a few sales and then nothing.  

I have a small opportunity to start selling some cards and prints and I'm going to focus on that, instead of on microstock.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 13:12 by stockastic »

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 15:28 »
I'm continuing to concentrate on my RM and print-on-demand work, and developing new niche pseudonyms and storefronts. 

I'm also in the process of writing up a proposal/business plan that I'll pitch to my son and his wife with the hope that they realize joining the family business, even if only part-time, is in their best long-term interest.  One day my son will inherit my business and will be charged with overseeing earnings distribution between himself and his disabled sister, so it's kinda sorta important he knows a little something about my assets before I'm dead and gone.  Plus, my business is at a point where I desperately need to hire someone in order to continue growing.  Who better than my son and his wife?   ;D   

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 19:19 »
I am linking to Joe Konrath's resolutions.  He has them all in one post, going back to 2006.  Konrath is a writer, and his industry has seen so many changes that parallel those that photographers are going through.  Many of his reslolutions could apply specifically to us.  It's a long post, he goes from being surprised how much he makes e-publishing, to making 20 times more the next year and then he of course experiences downward trends (all at the same time we have experienced the same waves in photography).  http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/12/konraths-resolutions-for-writers-2012.html

LOL, maybe I should write a book in 2012 about a frustrated photographer?

Karin, I like the way you are thinking.  You go girl!

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 22:14 »
I will definitely  increased my port. Despite its limited size, 1300 images, and being a drop in the microstock ocean, I consider myself very lucky to still be able to pull some sales after 5 years. So many talented people out there and it is so exciting to be part of this.  For 2012, in addition to increasing my port, I will try  getting traffic going to my new site at denispepin.com
Denis
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 22:18 by cybernesco »

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 18:17 »
Edit my travel images, most of which are still untouched... Put them as RM of course.

Also trying to engage some friends who like photography in going out together to shoot. We are probably going on a guided night walking tour at downtown Rio, in which there are some good photo opportunities.

LSD72

• My Bologna has a first name...
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 20:03 »
Hopefully get my lower back fixed to some point to get back to work. Close to 2 years of chasing this down is more than enough for me. Since my daughter has been able to walk.. and now run around, I would love to be able to play with her properly come Spring.

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2011, 18:32 »
Pretty simple plan for me this year: travel the world, upload photos, do some more timelapse, and hope for the best!

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and lots of sales in the new year :)

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2011, 17:13 »
- raise my standards and overall quality of work
- upload more
- simplify life
- eat, sleep and exercise better
- be happy

OX

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2011, 11:23 »
As I said last year:

1. Keep breathing

2. Enjoy work and life
Smiling Jack

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2011, 08:46 »
My plan is for no more submissions to IS.  If I don't see anything positive for contributors during the next year, I plan on pulling my port from there.  Being forced into the partner program was the last straw, but I don't want to do anything rash.  I'll give them a year.  I do realize that pulling my small port will not affect IS in the least, but I'll feel better at the end of the day.  I'll concentrate my efforts on the sites that respect their contributors. 

wut

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2011, 09:34 »
^^I have a similar plan, I haven't uploaded since Nov anyway, so at least my new ULs didn't go totally to waste (I got at least a few DLs, I wouldn't get any if I uploaded in the last couple of weeks). As long as best match stays like that, I'm gonna withold my ULs.

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2011, 09:57 »
1. Spend more money on good food and wine.
2. Learn food photography so I can afford it.

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2011, 10:36 »
Thinking of going back to painting where I can live in blissful introversion and ignore other peoples opinions.

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43 »
Thinking of going back to painting where I can live in blissful introversion and ignore other peoples opinions.

very nice paitings, just looking at your website, leaves and twigs its beautiful :D

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2011, 11:10 »
Coming down to the wire here with a little over 12 hours to go if I'm going to have my list finalized by midnight...  Most of my goals are still general - increase portfolio, expand to other venues, etc.  I'm a big believer in having my goals be defined and measurable so that's the part I'm still fine-tuning.  I plan to map out more specific goals in how I plan to increase my portfolio - adding people images, numerical goal to achieve, etc.  Definately on the list is to upgrade from my 30D - looking forward to seeing the successor to the 5D MkII - that may be the one.

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2011, 11:20 »
I try to focus more on creating new content (both micro and RM) instead of trying to find something usable in my old image folders, hanging on forums bitching about things and looking at my stats.
I also try to focus on making my images as sellable as possible: I will not put my effort to submit images that are mediocre and over-supplied.

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17 »
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. :)

In stock photo my only firm plan is to re-start uploading after several months break; and to continue shooting. Other than that I have some ideas but not plans.

And I plan to escape from miserable Belgian winter on vacation in 6 weeks.

rubyroo

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19 »
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. :)

Haha... so very true.  Story of my life!  Yet I never learn...  ;)

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2012, 17:55 »
I will continue on as a tortoise  (tortoise and the hare fable), as I have since 2005.  Very small but growing port (>400), but a very good return. 

For 2012...

1) keep on learning and trying out new perspectives (pole aerial photography and underwater photography).

2) buy the Nikon D800, the first  'pro' level NIKON camera to offer 1080p 30fps  (the D5100 has it now, but is not pro level (weatherizing and such) and it would be too frustrating for me with it's deep level menu system, since I am familiar with Nikon's other pro bodies (D3x, D3, etc) so I can learn video.  I still haven't decided on an editor for a PC machine.

3) I've always treated microstock like a business from the getgo, using an accountant for earnings, depreciations, etc.  In 2011, I became 'more' business like by forming an LLC for my photography.  But the next big step up is doing a proper WILL (hey it's New Year's resolution time, right?) beyond the hastily scribbled napkin my kids have which really isn't legal or helpful to them.  It was very disturbing to my son, who was 'forced' to do a will as part of deployment in the military, that his parents didn't have a will.  And you know, he and his sister are right.  So tonight, my husband and I are going to do a rough draft tonight (using guidance from an excellent NOLO book0, have it looked over by a lawyer and finalize by the end of January 2012. It will include my photography LLC (and thus the microstock agencies I submit to as well).

4) Work on my 'new' website, my current one is very clunky... and I'd like to start blogging as well.  So far, I have the domain name and bought a WordPress theme.  I keep reading about how important it is for photographer's to get involved in Social Networking (FB, Twitter), and but I don't think it is as important for stock photographers... however, I might want to explore selling from my own website, so I may experiment with that... I have resisted joining FB so far...

5) I will eventually do photography full time after I 'retire' from medicine.... but that could be another 10 years, so I am learning, contributing, and growing along the way, enjoying it all...small tweaks are worth exploring also... For example, I just ordered a Kirk tripod collar for my old Nikkor 80-400mm VR (yes, slow, hunts, etc), and will see if I can extract more sharpness from it on my new backup Nikon D7000.  I read that Live View focusing may be superior to the regular AutoFocus, so maybe there will be new life for an old beloved lens...  little things like this are enjoyable to check out.  It would be a useful for travel, and who knows when if ever the AF-S version will happen.

Best of success to all in the coming year.