MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Photoshop alters upgrade policy  (Read 7577 times)

« on: January 13, 2012, 06:45 »
When Adobe announced the upcoming Photoshop CS6, they also made the change to the upgrade policy that only CS5 owners got the upgrade pricing.  CS4 and earlier had to pay the full amount.  Recently Adobe changed their policy and will allow CS3 and CS4 users to get an upgrade price.  Long live the power of the customer (what little we have)

http://www.togtech.com/adobe-re-thinks-changes-to-their-upgrade-policy/

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:29 »
I hate having to upgrade when I get a new camera just to use a new ACR version.  Hate it.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31 »
I hate having to upgrade when I get a new camera just to use a new ACR version.  Hate it.
Yup, they got me that way twice. Smart selling: what good to them is someone who doesn't upgrade?

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:48 »

In most cases that's one of the only reasons to upgrade and they know that. How many more features can they possibly add that justifies the cost?

I just downloaded the Lightroom 4 beta, and without reading the marketing fluff, I can't tell the difference from v3 other than the Map stuff.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:43 »

In most cases that's one of the only reasons to upgrade and they know that. How many more features can they possibly add that justifies the cost?

I just downloaded the Lightroom 4 beta, and without reading the marketing fluff, I can't tell the difference from v3 other than the Map stuff.

oooh maps??? finally!  I hope maps come to Bridge as well.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:13 »
So I've had CS5 for 2 months and already there is an upgrade???

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:31 »
It's OK news. It still sounds like they are trying to force us to buy upgrades more often.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:34 »

Agreed

I think if they were being fair to their customers, there's no technical reason they couldn't offer a lower price ACR only upgrade for people who don't want to upgrade Photoshop. I realize they're just trying to soak the maximum money out of their users, but the last few upgrades have not had that much I found useful. Given the upgrade price (even with a NAPP discount) they're really pushing it, IMO.

This change is not to revert to their old upgrade policy and they haven't yet said what the "special introductory upgrade pricing" will be - i.e. I expect it will be a bit higher than the price for CS5 users. I have CS5, so in a sense it doesn't make any difference, but I dislike Adobe's licensing practices more and more as time goes by. They don't fix bugs at the rate I think they should so you don't get much value for upgrading in that regard.

They don't permit upgrade pricing on platform switches - Corel Painter treats a license as a license so you can use it for Mac or PC without a problem.

If you ever upgrade to the suite but decide it isn't really worth it after that, you can't upgrade just Photoshop (or any other one app) afterwards, only the whole suite.

ShadySue

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 13:54 »

Agreed

I think if they were being fair to their customers, there's no technical reason they couldn't offer a lower price ACR only upgrade for people who don't want to upgrade Photoshop. I realize they're just trying to soak the maximum money out of their users, but the last few upgrades have not had that much I found useful. Given the upgrade price (even with a NAPP discount) they're really pushing it, IMO.

This change is not to revert to their old upgrade policy and they haven't yet said what the "special introductory upgrade pricing" will be - i.e. I expect it will be a bit higher than the price for CS5 users. I have CS5, so in a sense it doesn't make any difference, but I dislike Adobe's licensing practices more and more as time goes by. They don't fix bugs at the rate I think they should so you don't get much value for upgrading in that regard.

They don't permit upgrade pricing on platform switches - Corel Painter treats a license as a license so you can use it for Mac or PC without a problem.

If you ever upgrade to the suite but decide it isn't really worth it after that, you can't upgrade just Photoshop (or any other one app) afterwards, only the whole suite.

Yeah, they should must charge for the RAW for new cameras, and a reasonable price. Photoshop costs quite a bit more in rip-off Britain than it does in America, and you're not allowed to buy it online from e.g. amazon.com. And for some reason, NAPP members outwith the US don't get any discount. I'd forgotten that about Photoshop if yu got the suite. I got the suite, but only use PS and DW. I'm about to start teaching a total beginners Elements course, so I'll have to buy that. I guess if I need to upgrade to accommodate any future camera I'll just have to upgrade Elements and make intermediate tiffs.

Sometimes greedy companies shoot themselves in the foot.

ShadySue

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 17:23 »
I'm still using CS2.  It does everything I need it to.  My actions are set and in place, noise reduction software, all that fun stuff.  I think it would be a giant pain in the tail to upgrade and I can't think of any tools I need.  I suppose that makes me an old dog doesn't it?

Still using Lightroom 1.1 too.  That I probably should upgrade at some point in time.  I'm just too much of a tightwad.

Nope, you probably don't need anything in the more recent versions.
I guess they know that, so that's why they're catching serious 'togs by requiring upgrades to support RAW files for new cameras (a certain time after their new version comes out). I've read here that some people prefer their camera's proprietary software to ACR, though I don't.

lisafx

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 17:54 »
I have found that by upgrading lightroom when I get a new camera, I can get the raw functionality, and then just transfer the resulting TIFs into any photoshop version.  Unfortunately, Photoshop will only allow you to install on two computers.  If you get a new one, or have to do a destructive recovery, it's a real hassle to reinstall. 

If you do have to pay for the full version, it's a lot cheaper to get the educational version.  If you have kids in school you qualify.  With my husband a teacher and my daughter in college it makes sense for me. 

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 18:33 »
I have found that by upgrading lightroom when I get a new camera, I can get the raw functionality, and then just transfer the resulting TIFs into any photoshop version.  Unfortunately, Photoshop will only allow you to install on two computers.  If you get a new one, or have to do a destructive recovery, it's a real hassle to reinstall. 

If you do have to pay for the full version, it's a lot cheaper to get the educational version.  If you have kids in school you qualify.  With my husband a teacher and my daughter in college it makes sense for me. 
I was looking at those options earlier this week because i'm starting an education soon... Apparently only people in the US are allowed the use the educational version for commercial works, for peeps outside the US its not allowed.  >:( Grrrrrrr....

lisafx

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 18:57 »
Apparently only people in the US are allowed the use the educational version for commercial works, for peeps outside the US its not allowed.  >:( Grrrrrrr....

Bummer.  I didn't know that.  Seems kind of stupid...

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 19:15 »
I was a bit wrong, its only allowed in North America, not just the US. There seems to be a lot of confusion about it (mostly just because its only allowed in certain regions) and some sources contradict themselves. But it was confirmed in the Adobe forums, commercial works only allowed in North America.
Being in Europe I fully agree its stupid :(

ShadySue

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 19:26 »
I was a bit wrong, its only allowed in North America, not just the US. There seems to be a lot of confusion about it (mostly just because its only allowed in certain regions) and some sources contradict themselves. But it was confirmed in the Adobe forums, commercial works only allowed in North America.
Being in Europe I fully agree its stupid :(

Seems we have a lot of disadvantages with Adobe software compared to Americans, who have access to cheaper copies and discounts via NAPP. It may be that there are discounts here, but other than occasional 'special offers' on adobe.uk's website (often still dearer than amazon), I never see them.

I've wondered out loud here before whether a legal copy of Photoshop, bought over the counter in the US, would even work on my computer, or would they refuse to recognise the serial number?

Though in reality, as well as paying Sales Tax and the other tax (State?) they usually hit you with at the counter in the US, I'd have to pay Import Tax, so would probably end up even worse off than buying it here.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 19:43 by ShadySue »

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:08 »
Though in reality, as well as paying Sales Tax and the other tax (State?) they usually hit you with at the counter in the US, I'd have to pay Import Tax, so would probably end up even worse off than buying it here.

I think you'd have to pay VAT on imported software but, if you didn't do so, you wouldn't be able to claim the cost back as an expense on your tax return.

ShadySue

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 06:39 »

I think you'd have to pay VAT on imported software but, if you didn't do so, you wouldn't be able to claim the cost back as an expense on your tax return.
I'n sure you're right.