MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: hello from Australia  (Read 6037 times)

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« on: January 22, 2012, 00:30 »
Hi I'm Gillian, I'm new to the site and quite new to microstock. I've dabbled a little this past year and have a very modest portfolio, but looking at really concentrating on it this year. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase where a single sale gives me a buzz, and a rejection breaks my heart.

Living in Brisbane, Australia, one husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 12 chooks. I freelance for the media, trying to write this year in addition to photography. My flavours: Nikon, BMW, Apple, coffee over tea, chardonnay over sav blanc, shiraz over merlot, beef over chicken, beach over country and autumn. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:22 by gillian vann »

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 00:54 »
Welcome Gillian. I'm a kiwi so an 'across the ditch' neighbour  ;D

Reef

• website ready 2026 :)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:22 »
2 Ex, 4 kids but not always living here, 1 dog, 2 chooks and I freelance! :o   Live just across the bay from Brisbane.

Welcome Gillian

Steve

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:21 »
I like audis.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:30 »
I like audis.

lol, not adverse to Audi, my mum and brother drive them.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:06 »
Hi I'm Gillian, I'm new to the site and quite new to microstock. I've dabbled a little this past year and have a very modest portfolio, but looking at really concentrating on it this year. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase where a single sale gives me a buzz, and a rejection breaks my heart.

Living in Brisbane, Australia, one husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 12 chooks. I freelance for the media, trying to write this year in addition to photography. My flavours: Nikon, BMW, Apple, coffee over tea, chardonnay over sav blanc, shiraz over merlot, beef over chicken, beach over country and autumn. :)

Hello, I'm Phil, and I've been a member of this site for a few years, and I've been into microstock for around five years.  My portfolio is relatively small compared to many....around 2000 images, and I now only add around 200 images each year.  Currently, I upload to  19 microstock sites.  I'm no longer in the honeymoon phase, and I'm not happy unless I earn at least $100.00 each week! :)  Rejection?  I guess I suffer from that every day, otherwise I'd be earning $200.00 each day!   :(

I live on the beautiful Southern Highlands of New South Wales....about 90 minutes south of Sydney.  I live with four females.... one wife, two daughters (in their late teens), and a female dog (does anyone feel a tad sorry for me?  :( ).  I operate a busy tour company from a home office.  My flavours: Nikon, BMW (I'd have one if I didn't keep spending 1000s of dollars on driving around Europe each year), coffee over tea, red over white wine, any meat I can sink my teeth into, snow over the beach, cold over hot (the reason we head to Europe in Winter each year), classical music over rock music, a traditional roast dinner over a BBQ, driving over being driven, conservative over radical, and success over failure!

All in all, I'm a little bit unusual but quite normal. :)

rubyroo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:13 »
G'day from this whinging pom.  ;D

Welcome. 

Never lose the buzz of a single sale.  It's always a privilege to have someone appreciate your work enough to buy it, especially as they have so many images to choose from.  Don't stress about rejections.  Just learn what you can from them and move on to the next creation.

Enjoy the journey!  :)

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57 »
hi, I am from sydney. ENjoy the buzz.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:47 »
Hi to all of you from a frozen mountainmonkey from Norway! New to micro and filled with questions. A great site by the way ::)

rubyroo

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20 »
Welcome to you to wirry.  Do try to keep warm  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 17:18 »
I had to google chook! New word for today :)

Welcome.

As you'll see from reading here, you've started at a most "interesting" time for microstock.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 21:30 »
I had to google chook! New word for today :)

Welcome.

As you'll see from reading here, you've started at a most "interesting" time for microstock.

ah yes, it has been interested reading all the goings on.

glad to add another word to your vocab - it is acceptable in Scrabble!

THP Creative

• THP Creative

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 23:27 »
Hey vannphoto,

Welcome! I'm also a fellow convict - currently in NSW, but a VIC guy originally.

All the best in microstock, it's a wild ride but very enjoyable.

I did some shots of a storm on Stradbroke Island near end of last year, first time up there.  Beautiful spot!

All the best

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 03:34 »
Hi welcome to this forum!I am alyssaly ,new to this forum!Nice to meet you! ;D

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35 »
nice to "meet" you all too.

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 19:39 »
NZder here, and the word chook - whenever I upload my chook photos and put chook,some sites I deal with try and spell check it, some of the suggestions are amusing to say the least

WarrenPrice

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 20:14 »
Welcome -- I think Google is experiencing a run on Chook.   :o

velocicarpo

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 21:17 »
Welcome Gillian! Nice to have a new member form downunder here :-)

Living in Brisbane, Australia, one husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 12 chooks

Sounds like lots of free-to-shoot models!

My flavours: Nikon, BMW, Apple, coffee over tea, chardonnay over sav blanc, shiraz over merlot, beef over chicken, beach over country and autumn. :)
We share seven of nine favorite interests (CANON  :-* )

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 04:57 »
Welcome Gillian! Nice to have a new member form downunder here :-)

Living in Brisbane, Australia, one husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 12 chooks

Sounds like lots of free-to-shoot models!

My flavours: Nikon, BMW, Apple, coffee over tea, chardonnay over sav blanc, shiraz over merlot, beef over chicken, beach over country and autumn. :)
We share seven of nine favorite interests (CANON  :-* )

yes lots of free models, although only one is keen and has personality. no agency wants pets, although mine are ageing so perhaps i'll hit a new market: "ageing pets".
i won't hold the Canon thing against you, plenty of my good friends shoot Canon :P Just wish I could make more Nikon friends so I can borrow stuff!

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 05:02 »
Welcome -- I think Google is experiencing a run on Chook.   :o

how funny, hasn't that word migrated over there yet? not much call in the agencies for image signs declaring "hot chooks $9.95" mores the pity, delightfully grungy shop near me has such a sign.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 16:01 »
I use Nikon - but you will have to jump the ditch to borrow my gear lol

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 22:05 »
I use Nikon - but you will have to jump the ditch to borrow my gear lol
thanks for the offer. Actually I'm all good for gear (lol, something only a female would say I suspect! sorry boys); I'm setting up a studio this year so that's my next expense.
And of course, still searching for the ultimate camera bag that is made for women and looks pretty.... (something only a female would say?:)

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08 »
Gear bags are a pain, I have 2 I use most one set up for weddings with extra stuff, safety pins, celebrity tape, mini hairspray and I jam my circle reflector in it when I take camera out - its a Crumpler, but it is black and sometimes if bag gets left in sun it gets so hot my celebrity tape melts....... wish they did big ones in a pale colour , anyway I have attached jewellery to it as my statement for being feminie.  my stock bag is a sling over lowepro - which is smaller and everday it comes with me also as my hand bag - but I still haven't balanced everything in it and it occasionaly slips sort of, again that has a scarf often attached to it.   Maybe we should design camera bags for women - theres a thought.  oh and a bboring box shape cheapy for my back up camera for weddings which resides in boot of car.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58 »
Gear bags are a pain, I have 2 I use most one set up for weddings with extra stuff, safety pins, celebrity tape, mini hairspray and I jam my circle reflector in it when I take camera out - its a Crumpler, but it is black and sometimes if bag gets left in sun it gets so hot my celebrity tape melts....... wish they did big ones in a pale colour , anyway I have attached jewellery to it as my statement for being feminie.  my stock bag is a sling over lowepro - which is smaller and everday it comes with me also as my hand bag - but I still haven't balanced everything in it and it occasionaly slips sort of, again that has a scarf often attached to it.   Maybe we should design camera bags for women - theres a thought.  oh and a bboring box shape cheapy for my back up camera for weddings which resides in boot of car.

there are about 4 good designers who do make women's camera bags. I too have a couple of crumpler bags and although they are much groovier than Lowepro they still scream "camera/electronic" gear.  I'm thinking of getting myself a bag by Kelly Moore, just trying to choose a colour!