pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is DT alive ?  (Read 53163 times)

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2012, 05:20 »
Whoa, pretty amazing how DT performance varies for people! I have recently been again revisiting the idea of going exclusive with DT. I already gave it some serious thought last year and decided to wait... One thing I noticed is that exclusive images rank a lot higher in search results than non-exclusive (I compared some of my baby images with comparable keywords and exclusives were always on page one of relevance search whereas non-exclusives did not do as well). Also, DT may be slow in the beginning for "new" joiners, but after images "mature" and sell more, they gain more visibility and momentum.

On the other hand, I am giving up on SS as it just does not find in searches and does not sell any of the new images I submit... very upsetting because I used to be the biggest fan of SS and now here I am again, wondering about DT exclusivity...

Why not just put everything on IS and FT also?

After last year's (or has it been two years?) changes on IS I pulled my port from IS and only left about 60-70 best sellers, they sell consistently and still bring in as much $ as my port used to. I am on FT, but FT doesn't do as well for me as DT (with almost identical portfolios); on FT only my older images do well, not newer ones. I am on a couple other sites too but nearly not as much income from them. Going exclusive with DT makes sense as my images would bring in more  $ per sale and they'd probably appear better ranked in searches (and there's a small upload bonus per upload for exclusives)

how are your sales on SS compared with DT?

wut

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2012, 05:25 »
DT was always on par with FT, this month it's not even 50% of FT (FT went up a bit as well). Looks like this site is loosing ground, a shame, I kind of liked them for their level system

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29 »
DT was always on par with FT, this month it's not even 50% of FT (FT went up a bit as well). Looks like this site is loosing ground, a shame, I kind of liked them for their level system

The lvl system is  the reason.... from lvl 3 up the images are just too expensive for the buyers (using credits) and lvl 5 using subs.

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02 »

The lvl system is  the reason.... from lvl 3 up the images are just too expensive for the buyers (using credits) and lvl 5 using subs.

Yes, the level system could be keeping the volume of sales down, but I still do a fair number of high level sales per day, in the $5 or $6 dollar range.

What I still can't figure out is why they run in waves... I'll get a ratio of 80% OD to 20% subs on a good day, then the next day get 95% subs to 5% OD.  My volume is too high to chalk this up to one or two sub buyers downloading a bunch of my stuff.  I wonder if it's something in the reporting system at DT.  Maybe the system gets "backed up" and they end up reporting one type or another in waves, like a faucet being turned on or off?

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2012, 15:00 »

Maybe the system gets "backed up" and they end up reporting one type or another in waves, like a faucet being turned on or off?
[/quote]

I been suspecting something similar at DT for some time now. It's either feast or famine.

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2012, 17:43 »
Worst site, out of the big four, sales wise. Not even half of FT this month. My acceptance rate last months is 99-100% because I took care of their "no similars" brain disease, but it doesn't seem to help sales at all. For me this site has faded slowly in the last 2 years and it doesn't look like it will ever get back on track.

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2012, 18:59 »
Whoa, pretty amazing how DT performance varies for people! I have recently been again revisiting the idea of going exclusive with DT. I already gave it some serious thought last year and decided to wait... One thing I noticed is that exclusive images rank a lot higher in search results than non-exclusive (I compared some of my baby images with comparable keywords and exclusives were always on page one of relevance search whereas non-exclusives did not do as well). Also, DT may be slow in the beginning for "new" joiners, but after images "mature" and sell more, they gain more visibility and momentum.

On the other hand, I am giving up on SS as it just does not find in searches and does not sell any of the new images I submit... very upsetting because I used to be the biggest fan of SS and now here I am again, wondering about DT exclusivity...

Why not just put everything on IS and FT also?

After last year's (or has it been two years?) changes on IS I pulled my port from IS and only left about 60-70 best sellers, they sell consistently and still bring in as much $ as my port used to. I am on FT, but FT doesn't do as well for me as DT (with almost identical portfolios); on FT only my older images do well, not newer ones. I am on a couple other sites too but nearly not as much income from them. Going exclusive with DT makes sense as my images would bring in more  $ per sale and they'd probably appear better ranked in searches (and there's a small upload bonus per upload for exclusives)

Both make very similar monthly $$ for me, but whereas I am confident that DT will stay at the same level, I am not sure about SS as I feel my income from it slowly decreasing (only ELs and ODs save the day, not subscription downloads... which sort of takes me to a totally different question - about the role of non-subscription downloads for SS and in the industry... Photogs certainly love them!

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2012, 02:13 »

Both make very similar monthly $$ for me, but whereas I am confident that DT will stay at the same level, I am not sure about SS as I feel my income from it slowly decreasing (only ELs and ODs save the day, not subscription downloads... which sort of takes me to a totally different question - about the role of non-subscription downloads for SS and in the industry... Photogs certainly love them!

For me ss continually grows where as dt continually stagnates. ss new images seldom take off anymore, but my old pics do very well. Agencies always change things around and we never know where are images will be placed from one year to the next.

"only ELs and ODs save the day, not subscription downloads"

The other agencies adopted sub packages and ss adopted ODs and SODs, so they all have similar things now and are eating in to each others original markets. Have a look at this post and you can get an indication of just how much subs have dropped from significance on ss Just how much of a subscription site is Shutterstock?. There is also a poll in the post which is still open.

On another point, something interesting that Serban has said, which will probably mean something bad for us.  ;)

"At this time we give more royalties than competitors and we charge customers more based on the level-based system. Both these are putting very significant pressure on the agency's growth. As per one of my previous posts, sooner or later we will have to address this."

http://www.dreamstime.com/thread_30555

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2012, 09:16 »

For me ss continually grows where as dt continually stagnates. ss new images seldom take off anymore, but my old pics do very well. Agencies always change things around and we never know where are images will be placed from one year to the next.

"only ELs and ODs save the day, not subscription downloads"

The other agencies adopted sub packages and ss adopted ODs and SODs, so they all have similar things now and are eating in to each others original markets. Have a look at this post and you can get an indication of just how much subs have dropped from significance on ss Just how much of a subscription site is Shutterstock?. There is also a poll in the post which is still open.

On another point, something interesting that Serban has said, which will probably mean something bad for us.  ;)

"At this time we give more royalties than competitors and we charge customers more based on the level-based system. Both these are putting very significant pressure on the agency's growth. As per one of my previous posts, sooner or later we will have to address this."

http://www.dreamstime.com/thread_30555
[/quote

All interesting points, thanks for posting. I am quite fond of DT and would like it to do well in the long term... I understand their concern with the level-based system (it seems to be hurting both customers & sellers - higher prices drive customers to get subs or cheaper images)... It makes sense for exclusive images that you canm't get anywhere else, but not for ALL images, imho.

I have not been uploading much recently, but whatever I do upload does not sell on SS, period. May be with the current algorithm images take time on SS to mature until they appear in better positions in search results, my old images sell well on SS. I am not sure I like this algorithm (if that's what it is) because many older images are of sub-par quality... both mine and other photogs'...

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2012, 05:29 »
It's strange because I was starting to get regular sales, better than SS but in the last week it has dropped right off AND I now have double the amount of images up with them.

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28 »
It's strange because I was starting to get regular sales, better than SS but in the last week it has dropped right off AND I now have double the amount of images up with them.

Imagine DT as a Mexican wave. Your arms are down now but someone else is raising their arms, it will be ur turn for sales again soon.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2012, 09:17 »
I beg to differ. It still doesn't make any sense to have regular downloads on a daily basis to absolutely nothing for over a week and counting with TWICE as many files up.

« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2012, 09:37 »
I beg to differ. It still doesn't make any sense to have regular downloads on a daily basis to absolutely nothing for over a week and counting with TWICE as many files up.

It's been discussed/theorised many times both here and on their forum over the past few years. FD explained it once very well in a thread not so long back on msg (I think it was msg), but I've no idea in what thread.

« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57 »

It's been discussed/theorised many times both here and on their forum over the past few years. FD explained it once very well in a thread not so long back on msg (I think it was msg), but I've no idea in what thread.

This one maybe? http://www.microstockgroup.com/dreamstime-com/subs-taking-control-of-dt/75/
And, yes, that is just how DT works for me -bursts of sales (subs or credit sales) then nothing for days and then another burst of sales. Luckily I am on my credit sales part of the Mexican Wave this week! Regards, David.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2012, 13:31 »
Very strange. Oh well, let's see what happens :-)

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2012, 13:37 »

This one maybe? http://www.microstockgroup.com/dreamstime-com/subs-taking-control-of-dt/75/
And, yes, that is just how DT works for me -bursts of sales (subs or credit sales) then nothing for days and then another burst of sales. Luckily I am on my credit sales part of the Mexican Wave this week! Regards, David.

I'll bet being featured on the front page didn't hurt   ;D

« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2012, 14:07 »

I'll bet being featured on the front page didn't hurt   ;D

Lol! In actual fact Mike I didn't see a mass of downloads from that at the time. I'm sure anyone doing "stocky" commercial images probaly does but my port is mainly editorial and I guess you either need that type of image or you don't at  any given time. I am sure though that, going forward,  it will help. Probaly the interview thing they did on their blog will help more as it's permanent.
BTW just checking your DT port and I really liked your Troll Portrait (there are a few posters here that might care to buy that for their avatar ;D). Kind regards, David.

wut

« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2012, 14:34 »
We're almost at the end of the month and I'm barely at 2/3 of my monthly average...Something is wrong with this agency, it looks like it's going to be my #5 earner, perhaps even #6 this month. Taking time consuming UL process and similar images restriction into account it's not even worth my time at the moment. I'll hold off new uploads and just see what happens in the next few weeks/months

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2012, 15:32 »
We're almost at the end of the month and I'm barely at 2/3 of my monthly average...Something is wrong with this agency, it looks like it's going to be my #5 earner, perhaps even #6 this month. Taking time consuming UL process and similar images restriction into account it's not even worth my time at the moment. I'll hold off new uploads and just see what happens in the next few weeks/months

Big disappointment this month :(... under half compared with average.

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2012, 15:37 »
Uploud restrictions are getting harder at DT (and where allways the most stupid i experienced).
Earnings going down since a year or so.
Seems like all the changes and greed of any agency only helps SS to gain marketplace.

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2012, 22:58 »
I think like any site selling stock we have to remember 'Individual Results May Vary'...
For me, I'm back to exclusive at Dreamstime after a dip in the Shutterstock pool and I have to say, I make more being exclusive on DT. February would have been a BME if part of it hadn't been exclusive, and January was a BME before that... My portfolio is small, 250+ vector illustrations, but my approval is high, almost 90%, and this couple with exclusivity gets me very good page rankings, which in turn lead to good sales...
I remember a post a while back where people were questioning why someone would ever be exclusive at Fotolia.... someone piped in how it made sense for them and that they made great sales... it does make sense for some...
So, yes, DT is alive and for me very much kickin' it!

« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33 »
I though DT was poor this month but, in reality, it was average but has dropped to #3 as FT has exceeded previous best by > 50%.

« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58 »
DT is holding steady for me at a solid #4 after SS, iS and 123.  It's been basically that way for the past several months.  In lifetime earnings DT is my #3 but if current trends continue they will be overtaken by 123 by the end of the year due to increases at 123 and steady sales at DT.

« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57 »
Spoke too soon - a few late higher level sales move DT back to #2 (and only 25% behind SS on revenue overall)

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2012, 02:41 »
It's still dead as a door nail for me after a great run. I can't accept the "waves" of buyers theory. All other stock sites don't have "waves". There are always people buying. It's not logical that my sales were good with half the files to Zero with twice as many. The numbers don't add up. ???