pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is DT alive ?  (Read 53399 times)

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 00:49 »
I'll keep my work for much much more serious agencies like IS and SS in terms of quality of inspection process.

IS ??? serious agency??  looool  :D :D

Sorry...  I could not resist.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 00:51 by nicku »

lagereek

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25 »
Alive and kicking!  great day yesterday. :)

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 08:06 »
On the forum at DT many are complaining about the lack of sales these last weeks. Guess what? Thread is CLOSED......
Please, don't spread around un-truth. That topic ("Sad") : This topic was locked by its author.
http://www.dreamstime.com/thread_30241
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:45 by FD »

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03 »
Sometimes after critique DT in forum, i receive from Achilles/Serban comment for one of my images:
Your posts on the forums are full of negative things about Dreamstime or the stock photo industry overall. Please stop doing that.
After such ''comments'' everybody will lock his/her topic...

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14 »
Sometimes after critique DT in forum, i receive from Achilles/Serban comment for one of my images:
Your posts on the forums are full of negative things about Dreamstime or the stock photo industry overall. Please stop doing that.

FD please continue :)

velocicarpo

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16 »
All these agencies are slowly admitting that their archives are full of repetitious junk and they need to start adddressing that problem.  At the same time they're all trying to reduce costs by outsourcing inspection to companies that are making low bids based on hiring inexperienced people who will be "trained" to the customer's standards.

Put these 2 trends together and you have a recipe for chaos.

True. They should adress this Problem through giving more incentive to create real creative content. E.g. an special collection at a different price tag. Exclusives at istock do really well with vetta and this is the way it should be. Yes, istock screwed up, but the good thing about them was that they really invented new concepts while I see no innovation from any of the other ones.

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2012, 10:25 »

I had a similar experience - he left a nasty comment on one of my photos.  I never used the DT forum again.  The guy's a bit high-strung I'd say.

lisafx

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2012, 11:31 »
Anyway, I'm sure my 14 years old daughter with her P&S will be more successful than me on DT.(no similars).
Sign her up then and make sure she uses my referral  ;)

LOL!  Great response!  Thanks for a good chuckle ;D

lisafx

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2012, 11:50 »

P.S. I just love the incredible richness and depth of your vocabulary. I learn a new word/expression in almost every post of yours. I'm thankful for that ;) . I notice Brits tend to use a lot more of the vocabulary (here or in real life), it's just the same with Baldrick's, gostwyck's or jsnover's posts. Not that other native speakers can't express themselves beyond talking like "naive" characters in H-wood teenage movies, but there is a pretty big difference. Well Lisafx is one that comes to mind, that is similar to the MSG bunch I mentioned.

Thanks Wut!  Happy to be included in such eloquent company :)

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38 »
I have to agree with some people here - limiting choice for customers doesn't help with the sales. After being in this business for 6 years and about 13,000 images in my portfolio I am still surprised sometimes at what becomes a best-selling image. But I am pretty sure I can predict what would be selling and how many "similars" a customer would need better than the average reviewer at DT. They pick a handful of files out of submission seemingly at random and the customers just go elsewhere where they have more choice. I bet one of the reasons SS is so successful is because they have large and diverse library.
Fighting your own contributors is just so stupid. The nature of this business is cooperation. We are as interested to sell as the agency - for a lot of us, it's our only income. And yet they treat us as some dimwits that go around taking random pictures and having no idea of what customers want. That's just insulting.

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 12:43 »
I have to agree with some people here - limiting choice for customers doesn't help with the sales. After being in this business for 6 years and about 13,000 images in my portfolio I am still surprised sometimes at what becomes a best-selling image. But I am pretty sure I can predict what would be selling and how many "similars" a customer would need better than the average reviewer at DT. They pick a handful of files out of submission seemingly at random and the customers just go elsewhere where they have more choice. I bet one of the reasons SS is so successful is because they have large and diverse library.
Fighting your own contributors is just so stupid. The nature of this business is cooperation. We are as interested to sell as the agency - for a lot of us, it's our only income. And yet they treat us as some dimwits that go around taking random pictures and having no idea of what customers want. That's just insulting.

Yep. One of the ironies of this business is that those who do the inspecting are mostly those who are not good enough to do the photography. If they were then they wouldn't waste their time inspecting.

wut

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 12:44 »

Yep. One of the ironies of this business is that those who do the inspecting are mostly those who are not good enough to do the photography. If they were then they wouldn't waste their time inspecting.

I'm not sure about that, at IS there are numerous diamond, even 100k+ inspectors...

WarrenPrice

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50 »

So... is this Rule #2?

:P

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54 »
I'm not sure about that, at IS there are numerous diamond, even 100k+ inspectors...

There are but I think for many of them becoming an inspector is simply the first step to gaining a coveted Admin badge and the money that comes with it. Istock is somewhat different to the others in that respect and I get the impression that they pay better too. I've seen quite a few Diamonds who became inspectors and then quickly dropped it soon afterwards, presumably because it was a poor use of their time and talent. I know Hidesy was one example and I'm not sure if I remember correctly our own SJL displaying an Inspector badge many years ago (?).

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 12:59 »

And IS is usually more consistent with inspecting than DT. Of course, there is still an issue of conflict of interest - rejecting files of competition, but I won't even go there... that's been discussed many times before and still most of micro agencies totally ignore the elephant in the room.

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2012, 05:28 »
Come on Viesturs, I'm sure you're a very nice guy in real but I have to admit that one of your latest posts on DT was a trifle grumpy, if I may say so  ;)
Achilles is very possessive and caring about his brainchild he started at a time and a place that wasn't that obvious. I smell ambition and total dedication, also to his photographers. Sometimes the porcupine put its spines up when it feels threatened, even if it's a very cuddly little animal. You have to know the people you are dealing with. Did you ever see somebody of XYZ stand up for his case? They let the dirty work do by retards like Lobo and despise you deep down counting their "revenue".
Specimens like Lobo will soon be gone, Achilles will stand on his ship till the last man (or woman).

Now cheer up and enjoy life  8)

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 08:11 »
Come on Viesturs, I'm sure you're a very nice guy in real but I have to admit that one of your latest posts on DT was a trifle grumpy, if I may say so  ;)
Achilles is very possessive and caring about his brainchild he started at a time and a place that wasn't that obvious. I smell ambition and total dedication, also to his photographers. Sometimes the porcupine put its spines up when it feels threatened, even if it's a very cuddly little animal. You have to know the people you are dealing with. Did you ever see somebody of XYZ stand up for his case? They let the dirty work do by retards like Lobo and despise you deep down counting their "revenue".
Specimens like Lobo will soon be gone, Achilles will stand on his ship till the last man (or woman).
Now cheer up and enjoy life  8)

Glad to meet you, Hugo! I read many of your posts and understand - you are smart and good man only angry to postsoviet peoples, especially russians, who i`m not...
  I begin with  DT on 2006 (it was too late...), became exclusive, sales were growing, but slow, very slow! I remowed my exclusivity on 2008, submit with the same portfolio on different sites and only on Shutterstock i get regular everyday sales. I regret the lost years, incomes on DT decrease month by month, especially after beginning subscription, very often errors, mistakes, long pending line. DT is  doing ''negative things'', but nobody may write about them! If you critique DT, your sales decrease or stop to some time ( manipulating with search engine). All it is, why i am angry to DT. It can be better site, earn more, but they are doing nothing...
P.S. for example, this months i have on SS - 85 sales/ $38 but on DT- 9 sales/ $5.80, with approximately the same small portfolio. Why must i love DT?!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:38 by Grandpa »

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2012, 13:04 »
Here's the thing about DT - on what other site will someone with a small port and less than several thousand lifetime DLs regularly get >2$ for an extra small and correspondingly more for bigger files?

wut

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 13:13 »
Here's the thing about DT - on what other site will someone with a small port and less than several thousand lifetime DLs regularly get >2$ for an extra small and correspondingly more for bigger files?

Those sales indeed are a beauty. 1.05$ subs too (you can't control the size, but compared to subs rates at other sites)

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2012, 18:54 »
Glad to meet you, Hugo! I read many of your posts and understand - you are smart and good man only angry to postsoviet peoples, especially russians, who i`m not...
Let me correct that. There are things I can't touch here because I'm also involved in politics albeit on the back-benchers number-crunching side for now. More than 2/3 of our criminality is imported from "there" but in this professional forum we should avoid politics and religion.

Let's just say that stereotyping is never good and I'm sorry I gave that impression. I have been working online with a group from St.Petersburg the 2nd half of last year and those people are darn good, very good. Before I worked with an Indian company and although they were very good technically, they totally missed any cultural empathy, and that reflected in their usability, design and content. Last but not least, the company we're talking about here and I'm defending (and why not, admiring) is from the other side of the ex-iron curtain fence while XYZ originated in France. There might be some truth in stereotypes (living in the Far East I'm confronted every minute with that) but gifted individuals (like everybody here on this forum is) can easily excel some tendencies in any society. If not, we would still be living in the threes with the other apes.  ;)
I begin with  DT on 2006 (it was too late...), became exclusive, sales were growing, but slow, very slow! I remowed my exclusivity on 2008, submit with the same portfolio on different sites and only on Shutterstock i get regular everyday sales. I regret the lost years, incomes on DT decrease month by month, especially after beginning subscription, very often errors, mistakes, long pending line. DT is  doing ''negative things'', but nobody may write about them! If you critique DT, your sales decrease or stop to some time ( manipulating with search engine). All it is, why i am angry to DT. It can be better site, earn more, but they are doing nothing...
Well your story is as valid as anyone else's. Point taken but it serves no purpose to vent that anger on their forum. It creates bad vibes. Maybe things will change one day (we witnessed quite some drastic changes in this industry) and it's useless to burn bridges. I know since I did it myself a few times to often.  :P
P.S. for example, this months i have on SS - 85 sales/ $38 but on DT- 9 sales/ $5.80, with approximately the same small portfolio. Why must i love DT?!
Aaah, love! That multi-splendorous thing! I feel we shouldn't mix it up with business. As Buddha says : emotions and longings are the source of unhappiness.

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2012, 23:41 »
Aaah, love! That multi-splendorous thing! I feel we shouldn't mix it up with business. As Buddha says : emotions and longings are the source of unhappiness.

true... when DT reviewer takes 6 files out of batch of 70 from one of the best-selling photographers she experiences whole range of emotions and longs for a reasonable review process that would - please! -  allow her to make money for that agency and just a little bit for herself. This is not really source of unhappiness for me, just great annoyance . But it is definitely not good business. I work on my own - I am not a production company that churns out thousands images per month, nor do I submit painfully similar images that pollute the library. And yet I am getting this kind of treatment from DT - how is that standing up for photographers?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 23:59 by Elenathewise »

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30 »
still not much sales for me at this day on DT
it has never happened this long before... hope it's just a "january" bug or something

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33 »
I've noticed that if you don't upload new images to DT you seem to drop off the radar.
No new files = less sales.

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2012, 12:44 »
I am exclusive with them and considering switch to non-exc..lately I have noticed less sales but higher revenue...

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2012, 14:15 »
Holy crap Elena, 6/70 that's not even 10%!  I would suspect these same files coming from you would be well over 90% or maybe close to 100% at the other agencies. 

Scratching my head....