pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is DT alive ?  (Read 53379 times)

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 14:41 »
On the forum at DT many are complaining about the lack of sales these last weeks. Guess what? Thread is CLOSED......

wut

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 14:56 »
^^Great, another agency following IS's example (firstly in falling sales, secondly in total censorship)

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 15:11 »
I can submit a single image to DT, and if there's something remotely like it... can be just a similarly shaped thing but completely different subject matter, concepts and keywords... and it will get rejected.
Another site off the 'possibly worthwhile list', then.
That sounds as arbitrary as the iStock editorial inspector who persists in wrongly rejecting for date, month, year.
Who's got the time/patience for that sort of hassle.  >:(
Sometimes, I think they do it just to annoy us, or just 'because they can'.

Up until this past week I was doing same as usual, so I will give them another week or so bounce back. But I am also uploading some new stuff this week, and when I set up a shot, I don't just make one shot. I most definitely do different angles, etc. and I will see how many get rejected for being similar. If they are going to play that game, I'll be crossing them off my list for new uploads, too.

As a side note, not about DT though, I have actually seen some small movement in my Stockfresh images. I think I only have a couple of hundred uploaded there so far, so any movement is a plus.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 16:44 »
December was strong, January isn't as good but it's not over yet.  I'm sure the prices are putting some buyers off.  I used to make more when they paid a flat 50% commission and had lower prices for the images that have sold a lot of times.
Sharpshot, me and you always have same pattern...  ;)

Yep! December was stronger than usual, for Decembers...
But, my prediction so far for January is -25% if we compare with December, usual was quite opposite...

KB

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 16:47 »
^^Great, another agency following IS's example (firstly in falling sales, secondly in total censorship)
Where you been, Wut? DT (& FT) lead the way in censorship; IS followed them.

wut

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 17:00 »

Wow, I didn't know that, I couldn't have known it first hand of course, since I've never even been in their forums, but I haven't come across such info in this forum as well. There are numerous threads regarding IS though

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 18:05 »
Still zero downloads. Not impressed  :-[

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 18:17 »

In fairness, that thread was locked by the author not the admins

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 18:25 »

Wow, I didn't know that, I couldn't have known it first hand of course, since I've never even been in their forums, but I haven't come across such info in this forum as well. There are numerous threads regarding IS though

A couple of years back, it was always said that DT and FT were far stricter in their censorship than IS. I couldn't possibly say whether the balance of power has changed.
Nobody seems all that interested in DT or FT nowadays; it's all iStock bad, SS good, and a few other posts here and there.  ;) (slight hyperbole)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 18:26 by ShadySue »

KB

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 18:27 »

You haven't missed anything.

Maybe most here no longer bother with DT's forums, that's why no one talks about it. The censorship there is very high. (Perhaps someone can say which board has the most censorship: DT or FT? As far as I can recall, they both tend to be very heavy-handed and quick to delete posts as well as entire threads.)

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 18:28 »
ShadySue, if you use DM to submit editorial images, it provides the correct form.

KB

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 18:31 »
ShadySue, if you use DM to submit editorial images, it provides the correct form.
I'm guessing this was posted to the wrong thread?

But, by the way, even DM gets it wrong: It still shows CITY, COUNTRY in caps, which is rejected by the good ol' editorial inspectors (unless you are Edstock, of course).

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 18:31 »
this is the only forum we can talk freely BUT watch out once they are looking into here too  ::)

ShadySue

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 18:36 »

No, it locks you into the US date form, which is only one possible correct form.
The sticky by Sirimo clearly says:
(Location data might be "City, County" or "City, State, Country" etc. Date data might be 'month date year" or "date month year" or in rare circumstances where the specific date isn't known just "month year".)
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=299102&page=1
I don't use DM for uploading, and that would be another mark against it. I know most people rave about it, but I'm not totally wild on it, and it just seems to be an unecesary extra step in the upload process. I know, it's not DM, it's me; but there you go. I do use it e.g. when I recently found I'd missed an important keywords on several files.

ShadySue

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 18:38 »
I'm guessing this was posted to the wrong thread?
I was totally confused, thinking he meant I could submit to DT, which I don't, via DM, which one can't, AFAIK. I think it was referring to a remark about random rejections I made above.
But, by the way, even DM gets it wrong: It still shows CITY, COUNTRY in caps, which is rejected by the good ol' editorial inspectors (unless you are Edstock, of course).
That too.

As you were DTers. Sorry, my original fault for waylaying the thread.

wut

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 18:46 »

A couple of years back, it was always said that DT and FT were far stricter in their censorship than IS. I couldn't possibly say whether the balance of power has changed.
Nobody seems all that interested in DT or FT nowadays; it's all iStock bad, SS good, and a few other posts here and there.  ;) (slight hyperbole)

Yeah I started back then, yo I guess I just missed it. Indeed, why should they be, they're much closer by earnings to mid tier agencies than to the top 2. So not something to get too excited about :D . It is a bit of a hyperbole, SS really ain't all that good and neither IS is as bad (in every way, not just earnings or censorship).

P.S. I just love the incredible richness and depth of your vocabulary. I learn a new word/expression in almost every post of yours. I'm thankful for that ;) . I notice Brits tend to use a lot more of the vocabulary (here or in real life), it's just the same with Baldrick's, gostwyck's or jsnover's posts. Not that other native speakers can't express themselves beyond talking like "naive" characters in H-wood teenage movies, but there is a pretty big difference. Well Lisafx is one that comes to mind, that is similar to the MSG bunch I mentioned.

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 18:58 »
DT forum rule #1
Don't criticize and don't ask questions about refusals!
Kim Jong-il is dead but his spirit is ............

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 19:15 »
Buuut, afaik DT never punished anyone for speaking their mind outside their forums, FT on the other hand.....

fritz

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 19:39 »
Buuut, afaik DT never punished anyone for speaking their mind outside their forums, FT on the other hand.....
Are you sure?

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 20:01 »
Not entirely, hence the afaik (as far as i know)...  ;)
Have to admit they're still my favourite agency, but thats also because im barely affected by their similars policy because i usually only pick one, max. two pictures from one shoot...i can definitely see how this policy gets on peeps nerves. They're the only agency where i often get $5-8 on a download though.

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 20:27 »
Maybe most here no longer bother with DT's forums, that's why no one talks about it.
"Happy people have no history". There is nothing wrong with the DT forum but of course it's a site forum read by some buyers too. Most of all, it's a company forum and it serves also as a front for them. There is one taboo on the DT : rejections and similars as a special case of it. No other taboos and I have seen some very straightforward discussions lately (if you sift through the noise of woohoo I got my first 100$). Achilles himself suggested on the forum that the MSG was the place to talk about rejections to get a second opinion.
The censorship there is very high.
I'm sorry but that's simply not true. What happens occasionally is that Achilles intervenes at the end with a roundup, then closes the thread pointing to other (non-closed) threads that dealt with the issue before. Often also the author locks the thread.
(Perhaps someone can say which board has the most censorship: DT or FT?
What sky object gives the most light? The sun or the moon? You must be kidding. On the FT forum you feel like walking on eggs and threads often vanish. iStock, well... you know.
A couple of years ago I had a clash with Achilles but I never felt anything sales-wise. On XYZ at the other hand, there have been cases reported here. Also read what happened to Baldrickstrousers on XYZ.
As far as I can recall, they both tend to be very heavy-handed and quick to delete posts as well as entire threads.)
You must be mixing up agencies or have false memories, at least concerning DT  ;)

Back on topic: after a splendid November, December was barely 1/2 of it and it doesn't recover in January. I had the same trend on 123RF and FT so it must be industry-wide. There are some nasty things going on in Europe, economy-wise, and it feels worse than in 2008.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 20:38 by FD »

fritz

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 20:32 »
Anyway, I'm sure my 14 years old daughter with her P&S will be more successful than me on DT.(no similars). I'll keep my work for much much more serious agencies like IS and SS in terms of quality of inspection process.

KB

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 20:38 »
As far as I can recall, they both tend to be very heavy-handed and quick to delete posts as well as entire threads.)
You must be mixing up agencies or have false memories, at least concerning DT  ;)
A third possibility: You don't know everything.  ;D

I guess I'm biased, but DT was the first place I ever had a forum post deleted. In fact, it was the entire thread, which had a few replies in it even though it was deleted in less than one hour. But then, if a thread is deleted, how would you know it, so it's no wonder that you might not know what really happens there sometimes.

I'm not going to go into exact details, but the thread was simply a question about the subscription plan. It had nothing to do with rejections. So there are at least two taboos, and I'd be surprised if it stopped there.

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 20:40 »
Anyway, I'm sure my 14 years old daughter with her P&S will be more successful than me on DT.(no similars).
Sign her up then and make sure she uses my referral  ;)

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 20:51 »
A third possibility: You don't know everything.  ;D
That's all too true. In fact, the longer I live, the less I know. I had all my forum posts deleted on iStock in 2006 and one in 2010 had the lifetime of a quark. That's why I stopped reading it but people report here that it's policed by somebody I would qualify as a low-life sociopath.
I take your word for the deletion of one (your) thread on DT but isn't it a generalization to state that "DT is the worst or as bad as XYZ"? Since you don't like to tell what's it about (canceling the 1 week subs plan? there was a very grumpy nickels & dimes "designer" that complained about it a few weeks ago), it's hard to comment. Peace  8)