MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is DT alive ?  (Read 53164 times)

THP Creative

• THP Creative

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2012, 01:03 »
Pretty poor month on DT, but then last January was the same, so hoping Feb will pick up.  However, I can confirm they are still alive as I just got a 15 Credit TIFF sale - wish there were more of those!

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2012, 01:35 »
probably in this case inspector just selected the wrong reason from the list :)

I would bet against that they just selected the wrong reason. This is an example that is repeated time and time again.
They must have automatic software that flags images in your portfolio with the same or similar keywords.

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2012, 02:22 »
Unusual month for me on DT as there was significant growth (with no Els). I made almost as much in January as I made in the entire last quarter of 2011. I think it's a lucky blip though rather than an upward trend.

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34 »
I had a BME at Dreamstime.

wut

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41 »
DT and FT are just the kind of agencies that show no promise whatsoever to me. I uploaded more content in January than ever before and it doesn't show at all. New files get buried and the month ended in average numbers on both sites. That being said, quadrupling UL at SS doesn't boost sales nearly as much as it used to, but still it shows, looking at new content graph, you can see a big (not huge like I used to) bump and a BME in one of the worst months.

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2012, 08:27 »
@Karimala and @Lagereek and @FD - thank you guys.  But that's exactly the thing I am frustrated about - shouldn't reviewers be able to tell the difference between someone who submits 20 images of a pizza slice on white shot from different angles and someone who submits a series of images that actually tell a story? My expectations were that a reviewer should. I actually had very reasonable reviews when Ellen Boughn was DTs creative director, was sad to see her leave.
I wonder how much of these ridiculous reviews we are seeing is Achilles' original idea and how much of it is just reviewers not understanding what he wants them to do. A guy who founded such successful agency should be able to see that they are shooting themselves in the foot here.
Well Achilles is pretty stubborn about it. It's a person I personally admire the most over all other agencies but I think he is wrong on this one. I feel (but not sure of course) it has to do with the unbiased search engine, as far as everybody is rotated on front in due time. Over 10M is just not feasible with a linear search engine based on 1, 2 words. It's pure math. With this kind of unbiased search engine only relying on keywords you will find similars in rows on the first pages of the search engine. There are solutions for that but to apply those to a database of 11M+ images is a daunting task. Probably the agencies don't think it's worth the time and the resources since they make their money anyhow, whether it's a fantastic shot or a good enough shot.

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15 »
DT and FT are just the kind of agencies that show no promise whatsoever to me.

I used to see DT and FT as "siblings" running neck and neck every month to see who would deliver more earnings.

Then I reached Emerald at FT and doubled my prices and nearly doubled my earnings overnight.  Then DT cracked down on "similars" and started rejecting almost everything I submit.  Now FT challenges SS for #1 agency each month, while DT is joining IS in the "remember the good old days?" camp. 

So, is DT alive?  Yes, it's hanging in there, delivering good sales every month... but it's almost impossible now to grow there.

wut

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21 »
DT and FT are just the kind of agencies that show no promise whatsoever to me.

I used to see DT and FT as "siblings" running neck and neck every month to see who would deliver more earnings.

Then I reached Emerald at FT and doubled my prices and nearly doubled my earnings overnight.  Then DT cracked down on "similars" and started rejecting almost everything I submit.  Now FT challenges SS for #1 agency each month, while DT is joining IS in the "remember the good old days?" camp. 

So, is DT alive?  Yes, it's hanging in there, delivering good sales every month... but it's almost impossible now to grow there.

Indeed. I had identical monthly earnings up to a few months ago. Not that there's much difference now, but I don't get to a payout at the same time at both sites anymore. It seemed as they were somehow connected :s . And yes, it's impossible to make it there if your port isn't already established for years.

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2012, 20:47 »
Well Achilles is pretty stubborn about it. It's a person I personally admire the most over all other agencies but I think he is wrong on this one. I feel (but not sure of course) it has to do with the unbiased search engine, as far as everybody is rotated on front in due time. Over 10M is just not feasible with a linear search engine based on 1, 2 words. It's pure math. With this kind of unbiased search engine only relying on keywords you will find similars in rows on the first pages of the search engine. There are solutions for that but to apply those to a database of 11M+ images is a daunting task.
Yeah could be the search engine, it is a probable cause. That would also explain the choice of files they deleted from my portfolio when they were doing a library "cleanup" - didn't make much sense to me, but if they did searches and those files showed up in a row to their dislike, that would be their reason for expelling them... It does seem silly though to define the content of your library by the way your search engine works.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23 »
I have had hardly any downloads with over 200 files.

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2012, 08:39 »

200 files and wanting big sales, they need to be over the roof...

wut

« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2012, 10:05 »

No offense, but 200 or even 300+ and no or virtually no sales at all sites, you must be doing everything really wrong. Instead of bitching about it here every 5 minutes, do something about your photography skills. Or just forget about it altogether it's really not worth wasting yours, nor out time. It's absolutely futile to continue uploading such content, you wouldn't make 500$/month with over 5k photos (while you should be making over 5k every month if your photos were any good)

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25 »

No offense, but 200 or even 300+ and no or virtually no sales at all sites, you must be doing everything really wrong. Instead of bitching about it here every 5 minutes, do something about your photography skills. Or just forget about it altogether it's really not worth wasting yours, nor out time. It's absolutely futile to continue uploading such content, you wouldn't make 500$/month with over 5k photos (while you should be making over 5k every month if your photos were any good)

Woow, you really had to leave the first two words out of this. More wars were started this way.

wut

« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20 »

Woow, you really had to leave the first two words out of this. More wars were started this way.

I guess so. But I also guess no one else annoys so many ppl around here. I said what needed to be said, I hate beating around the bush and someone needs to straighten this guy out, it's for the greater good ;)

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2012, 15:12 »
I like DT so far they have been fairly consistent for me, $1 a day on average, however SS is all of a sudden doing better for me, since Decemeber, so I shall see.     

wut

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2012, 13:23 »
It's not possible to get 2 even remotely similar photos online, they've gone totally mental with this too many similar images rejections, so no wonder they're barely alive. I'd support it if their reviewers were up to the job, since high volume/low quality contributors are good for no one, but this is pure insanity.

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2012, 16:55 »
It's not possible to get 2 even remotely similar photos online, they've gone totally mental with this too many similar images rejections, so no wonder they're barely alive. I'd support it if their reviewers were up to the job, since high volume/low quality contributors are good for no one, but this is pure insanity.
It's site policy and everyone knows it's site policy so no point in submitting similars - just send them where they'll be accepted.

wut

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2012, 17:25 »
It's site policy and everyone knows it's site policy so no point in submitting similars - just send them where they'll be accepted.

Indeed, I care less and less every day about any agency besides SS. After all they all represent just crumbs falling off the table compared to SS. My worrying should equal the size of the earnings from an agency (or piece of the pie), I'm getting there ;)

WarrenPrice

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2012, 15:05 »
Probably alive but certainly ailing.  Image reviews are taking an eternity.  Even when "under review" it may take several days.  Pending since the 5th.  Wondering if it has anything to do with the rollout of New Language capabilities?
And, I don't believe the excuse that istock ex-exclusives have overloaded the site ... that would be evident at more than one site.

I know this should probably be posted in the DT forum but speaking so boldly got me banned from the forum long ago.   ::)

PS:  I know that the important characteristic is sales but they are also ailing.   :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 15:12 by WarrenPrice »

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2012, 20:26 »
did DT just fire half of their review team? 200 hours eta for a review?!?! it was less than half this amount of time before the new year.... unless there have just been a huge increase in number of submission which I doubt... liking IS more and more by the day

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06 »
Probably alive but certainly ailing.  Image reviews are taking an eternity.  Even when "under review" it may take several days.  Pending since the 5th.  Wondering if it has anything to do with the rollout of New Language capabilities?
And, I don't believe the excuse that istock ex-exclusives have overloaded the site ... that would be evident at more than one site.

I know this should probably be posted in the DT forum but speaking so boldly got me banned from the forum long ago.   ::)

PS:  I know that the important characteristic is sales but they are also ailing.   :P

I've noticed SS & FT slower also but you will notice this less where reviews are normally quick - i.e. normal review going from 1 to 2 days is not as noticable as from 1 to 2 weeks even though both have doubled.

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2012, 21:40 »
Whoa, pretty amazing how DT performance varies for people! I have recently been again revisiting the idea of going exclusive with DT. I already gave it some serious thought last year and decided to wait... One thing I noticed is that exclusive images rank a lot higher in search results than non-exclusive (I compared some of my baby images with comparable keywords and exclusives were always on page one of relevance search whereas non-exclusives did not do as well). Also, DT may be slow in the beginning for "new" joiners, but after images "mature" and sell more, they gain more visibility and momentum.

On the other hand, I am giving up on SS as it just does not find in searches and does not sell any of the new images I submit... very upsetting because I used to be the biggest fan of SS and now here I am again, wondering about DT exclusivity...

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2012, 07:44 »
Whoa, pretty amazing how DT performance varies for people! I have recently been again revisiting the idea of going exclusive with DT. I already gave it some serious thought last year and decided to wait... One thing I noticed is that exclusive images rank a lot higher in search results than non-exclusive (I compared some of my baby images with comparable keywords and exclusives were always on page one of relevance search whereas non-exclusives did not do as well). Also, DT may be slow in the beginning for "new" joiners, but after images "mature" and sell more, they gain more visibility and momentum.

On the other hand, I am giving up on SS as it just does not find in searches and does not sell any of the new images I submit... very upsetting because I used to be the biggest fan of SS and now here I am again, wondering about DT exclusivity...

Why not just put everything on IS and FT also?

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2012, 07:59 »

IS have the habit to refuse what microstock buyers really wants.

in my personal case pictures that are selling 30-40 times /day.... every day on SS are just not good enough for IS. so... I do not bother them any more. FT is a good agency... in fact my no. 2 earner, above DT
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:03 by nicku »

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2012, 16:30 »

After last year's (or has it been two years?) changes on IS I pulled my port from IS and only left about 60-70 best sellers, they sell consistently and still bring in as much $ as my port used to. I am on FT, but FT doesn't do as well for me as DT (with almost identical portfolios); on FT only my older images do well, not newer ones. I am on a couple other sites too but nearly not as much income from them. Going exclusive with DT makes sense as my images would bring in more  $ per sale and they'd probably appear better ranked in searches (and there's a small upload bonus per upload for exclusives)