pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: January 2012 earnings  (Read 29337 times)

wut

« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2012, 14:58 »
And we think us microstockers earns money?  get this then,  cant mention his name but this guy during january earned himself a cool, 28K and apparently he does that every month of the year. not bad hey?

Macro RM ?

Yep!

I'd say that's pocketchange compared to top 3 microstockers ;)

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2012, 15:21 »
^^^ You can say what you want but you are wrong.
Lagereek: On whom must I perform perverted sexual acts in order to get into this "cool people"s club ???

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2012, 15:39 »
Jan started a bit slow but ended up being pretty good for me. SS, DT, and Alamy did well, IS did well considering my port there now (thanks to one big EL), and 123RF was a BME.

When I checked my stats today I was surprised to see that I've already passed 100$ on SS for this month - thank you EL fairy.

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2012, 15:39 »
Lagereek: On whom must I perform perverted sexual acts in order to get into this "cool people"s club ???

real cool people don't do perverted sexual acts.   ;)

wut

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2012, 15:44 »

So you think you're actually earning more than 5% of what Yuri is? I'm laughing my ass off ;D

lagereek

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2012, 15:44 »
And we think us microstockers earns money?  get this then,  cant mention his name but this guy during january earned himself a cool, 28K and apparently he does that every month of the year. not bad hey?

Macro RM ?

Yep!

Nah!  this guy is also one of the highest paid dayrate photographers in the world, his got a total turnover of 3 million bucks per year,  top microstockers dont even come up to his knee-caps.

What it does show however is, the revenues are still around, no matter how much doom and gloom,  theres money to be made. So lets saddle up guys, we can topple that, hey. ;D

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2012, 15:47 »

So you think you're actually earning more than 5% of what Yuri is? I'm laughing my ass off ;D

It all depends if you're talking earnings or profit. For some, especially Yuri, there's a big difference.

lagereek

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2012, 15:48 »

real cool people don't do perverted sexual acts.   ;)

Real cool people drink milk!  with Lagavulin. :)

wut

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2012, 15:48 »

Macro RM ?

Yep!

Nah!  this guy is also one of the highest paid dayrate photographers in the world, his got a total turnover of 3 million bucks per year,  top microstockers dont even come up to his knee-caps.

What it does show however is, the revenues are still around, no matter how much doom and gloom,  theres money to be made. So lets saddle up guys, we can topple that, hey. ;D

That is impressive. But I guess Yuri is making about as much, but he also has a lot of expenses, so if we're talking about net earnings, then yes, he really doesn't even come up to his knee caps. But Lise and Sean who are earning less are netting more and I'm sure it's more than 28k/month

wut

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2012, 15:50 »

It all depends if you're talking earnings or profit. For some, especially Yuri, there's a big difference.

Indeed, I just mentioned that in my reply to lagereek. We were talking earnings, all lagereek mentioned was 28k. And you usually have a lot more expenses doing RM

lagereek

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2012, 15:59 »

Indeed, I just mentioned that in my reply to lagereek. We were talking earnings, all lagereek mentioned was 28k. And you usually have a lot more expenses doing RM

No, no, there isnt a microstocker that even come close, just look at the likes of Demachelier and Lindberg, working on dayrates of 30K,  work that out for a year and you get blind. Stock-photography has got some very big earners but its peanuts to some really famous dayrate shooters. Its a closed and hidden world.

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2012, 16:05 »
No, no, there isnt a microstocker that even come close, just look at the likes of Demachelier and Lindberg, working on dayrates of 30K,  work that out for a year and you get blind. Stock-photography has got some very big earners but its peanuts to some really famous dayrate shooters. Its a closed and hidden world.

You're telling me these guys work every day, with no overhead or expenses at 30k a day?  Hmmmm....

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2012, 16:11 »

Macro RM ?

Yep!

Nah!  this guy is also one of the highest paid dayrate photographers in the world, his got a total turnover of 3 million bucks per year,  top microstockers dont even come up to his knee-caps.

What it does show however is, the revenues are still around, no matter how much doom and gloom,  theres money to be made. So lets saddle up guys, we can topple that, hey. ;D

That is impressive. But I guess Yuri is making about as much, but he also has a lot of expenses, so if we're talking about net earnings, then yes, he really doesn't even come up to his knee caps. But Lise and Sean who are earning less are netting more and I'm sure it's more than 28k/month

There is a HUGE difference between earning more then 28K and  "pocket change"
there is not 1 person in the MS business that 28K (a month) is "pocket change" for them.

What do my earnings have to do with anything ?

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2012, 16:29 »
Unfortunately the flaw in that plan is that my images aren't tagged with the iStock image number or exactly the same title so you can't automate the process. That'll learn me for not adding the metadata in LR at creation time.

A suggestion... you can request to download your entire portfolio from IS for backup purposes. I think it costs like $75. You go to a web page and you click 1 by 1 to download each file. Takes a while but they do include the file number in the file name. I'd imagine that a programmer could find a way to match part of the file name that includes the file number to a line in a database/spreadsheet, and take the rest from there.

wut

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 16:33 »

Macro RM ?

Yep!

Nah!  this guy is also one of the highest paid dayrate photographers in the world, his got a total turnover of 3 million bucks per year,  top microstockers dont even come up to his knee-caps.

What it does show however is, the revenues are still around, no matter how much doom and gloom,  theres money to be made. So lets saddle up guys, we can topple that, hey. ;D

There is a HUGE difference between earning more then 28K and  "pocket change"
there is not 1 person in the MS business that 28K (a month) is "pocket change" for them.

What do my earnings have to do with anything ?

Let's say Yuri earns around 3 mil a year. That's 10x more than 28k/month right? So the pocket change comparison stands.

Your earnings, that are well above average and I know you're satisfied with them (I'd be too), but I'm sure you're not fooling yourself into thinking you're earning anything more than a percent or 2 of what Yuri is. It just seemed funny to me, that you think even the top 3 microstockers don't earn at least 10x more than you do. Especially Yuri, outselling all exclusives, selling on virtually all other sites, macro as well and he takes on a ton of assignments.

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2012, 16:56 »
^^^ once again what do my earnings have to do with your (wrong) statement?
I STRONGLY doubt Yuri makes 3M a year, and even if so, a large sum of it isn't from MS.
I know give or take how much Sean here makes, why don't you ask him if 28K is "pocket change" for him ?
stop talking non sense.
And leave my earning out of it, it has NOTHING to do with Yuri, the top 3 or 5 or 10, 28K or pocketchange.
(and BTW I am not satisfiend at ALL with it).

wut

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2012, 17:15 »
^^^ once again what do my earnings have to do with your (wrong) statement?
I STRONGLY doubt Yuri makes 3M a year, and even if so, a large sum of it isn't from MS.
I know give or take how much Sean here makes, why don't you ask him if 28K is "pocket change" for him ?
stop talking non sense.
And leave my earning out of it, it has NOTHING to do with Yuri, the top 3 or 5 or 10, 28K or pocketchange.
(and BTW I am not satisfiend at ALL with it).

I really can't understand your anger, why are you putting your exact earnings every month if you dislike so much talking about them? That being said, I'll leave you out of it from now on, I really didn't come here to argue with anyone. It's a numbers thread, so I like to do the numbers and comparisons. Let's just do a simple calculation on Yuri's earnings. He gets around 300k DLs/year, let's say his RPD is only 1,5$ so this alone makes it 450k/year. Let's say he makes 25% of MS money there (which is even more highly unlikely), which means he makes at least 1,8$ mil from MS alone. Then there's macro and commissioned work. Doesn't seem so unlikely anymore, now does it ;)

lagereek

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2012, 17:48 »

You're telling me these guys work every day, with no overhead or expenses at 30k a day?  Hmmmm....

yep  they do indeed, both under extremley handsome contracts with Vogue, etc, been for years. These are the fellas responible for the likes of Cindy crawford, Schiffer, etc, etc.
They dont come cheap. :)

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2012, 17:55 »
Wow! That was 5 minutes I'll never get back. Oh well, off to keyword.  ;D

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2012, 18:02 »
http://microstocktime.com/tool/stats/ss/user/2700/

only 1k pictures in 4 months, some more to argue, goooo  ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ9GjK2DSds[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 18:06 by luissantos84 »

lagereek

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2012, 18:02 »
Some comments here? baffling!  some people here, really wants to get the right perspective on things and realize that we are all shooting stock, no more, no less. Living in a fools paradise is ok, as long as long as its not mistaken for reality, reality is, there are no dollar millionaries being stock-photographers and will never be, exept maybe for the owners of large agencies.
What we are ALL doing here ranks in fact as the cheapest and least paid of all forms of commercial photography and thats ok, its fun, :) none the less.

wut

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2012, 18:22 »
Some comments here? baffling!  some people here, really wants to get the right perspective on things and realize that we are all shooting stock, no more, no less. Living in a fools paradise is ok, as long as long as its not mistaken for reality, reality is, there are no dollar millionaries being stock-photographers and will never be, exept maybe for the owners of large agencies.
What we are ALL doing here ranks in fact as the cheapest and least paid of all forms of commercial photography and thats ok, its fun, :) none the less.

I do realize that, I never said otherwise, never dreamed of becoming a millionaire or anything. I for one would be satisfied with earning 2,3k/month, while OTOH some that just achieved it are not nearly satisfied with it - they're just so much more ambitious and want to reach for the stars. I just wanna make a living out of it and enjoy life. I don't care for millions, never have never will. I don't care for the material stuff anyway, it's not what makes me happy. It's a personal decision and whatever it is, it's the right one. It doesn't make me lazy for that (taking it easy or lacking ambition as some may see it) or someone never satisfied with his earnings, even though he/she makes 5 figures/month, greedy. That being said, go through my calculations and point out where I've made a mistake. I could be off, but I'm sure not off by 50% or even more.

« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2012, 20:58 »
Well, Yuri claims to sell a photo every 8 seconds.

Theres 86,400 seconds in a day - so he sells 10,800 photos each day x 365 days = 3,942,000 sales per year.

Say his RPI is $1.5 (did I imagine that, or did someone say it above?)  = $5,913,0000/year

50 employees x $50K (big guess here, isn't cost of living quite high in Denmark) = $250K salaries, likely more.

I'd say he's doing pretty well  ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpK5IXhKr_A&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2012, 21:49 »
I for one would be satisfied with earning 2,3k/month...

Wait until you get there, then you'll want more. Or you can get all weird like me and realize that everyone is ripping you off.  ;D

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2012, 22:00 »
Well, Yuri claims to sell a photo every 8 seconds.

My sales aren't that prolific, but none of mine get pennies from sub sites either.