MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canon 5DX  (Read 33662 times)

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18 »
Obviously we are all just guessing... but.

I think you're right tabimura.  Canon needs a big MP camera and the 5D may just be that.  If they combined their 1D series then they perhaps see (like you say) that the high MP camera doesn't need the bulky body of the 1D.. that was pretty well shown with the 5D Mark II sales.

There is a lot of evidence that the new 5D would be called 5Dx (everything is being called X this year) but most of the rumors still point to a 5D Mark III ... which perhaps only strengthens the rumors of it actually being two cameras.  Being Canon's 25 anniversary on March 2 - surely they have something special in store :)

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 14:03 »
I am fairly certain they will be announcing a high MP camera before the end of March, they have to answer the D800. Whether they split it into two lines with the 5DX as well who knows, but all the rumors are pointing to a high MP camera.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 14:16 »
I am fairly certain they will be announcing a high MP camera before the end of March, they have to answer the D800. Whether they split it into two lines with the 5DX as well who knows, but all the rumors are pointing to a high MP camera.

The majority of the rumors I've read point to 22mp.  Where are the ones that point to a high MP camera?

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 14:48 »
Didn't a Canon exec recently say they didn't think there was that great of a market for such a high MP camera, and if they found differently they would produce one then?

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 15:09 »
Didn't a Canon exec recently say they didn't think there was that great of a market for such a high MP camera, and if they found differently they would produce one then?

Yea, Masaya Maeda said: "If Canon thinks the market wants the high resolution models such as the 30+ MP of Nikons D800, they can easily develop such products".

http://www.slashgear.com/canon-5d-mark-iiix-leaked-details-rundown-14213443/

I'm thinking... Nikon should have learned a bit from Canon, when they developed this 36 mp camera. That is, to implement the possibility to shoot raw in various sizes (like sRaw1, sRaw2). If D800 could shoot 20 mp raw, it would be more appealing.

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 23:09 »

The majority of the rumors I've read point to 22mp.  Where are the ones that point to a high MP camera?

Missed the busted post from CR about the 45 mp camera, still the 5d has always been about high MP. I don't see them abandoning that, especially with the D800 out now. I guess time will tell, I wish they would make an announcement already!

lagereek

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 01:47 »

The majority of the rumors I've read point to 22mp.  Where are the ones that point to a high MP camera?

Hi there!   Just rumours, nothing but rumours!  the entire DPR-forum is full of it. My Canon rep, tells me there will be an updated 5dM2,  thats just about it. Nikon, Canon, etc, dont give a  about the micro market, its small fry, compared to the consumer market.
The majority of micro shooters still dont need anything bigger then a 12 MP cam and if you stick a 45MP cam in their hands, they wouldnt know what to do with it.

For commissioned studio work, etc, I use an HD4 with the hioghest possible MP backs, along with this you have to invest in softwares for about 8 grand, computer upgrades for 5 grand. Majority of people dont even think of that. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:00 by lagereek »

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33 »

The majority of the rumors I've read point to 22mp.  Where are the ones that point to a high MP camera?

Hi there!   Just rumours, nothing but rumours!  the entire DPR-forum is full of it. My Canon rep, tells me there will be an updated 5dM2,  thats just about it. Nikon, Canon, etc, dont give a  about the micro market, its small fry, compared to the consumer market.
The majority of micro shooters still dont need anything bigger then a 12 MP cam and if you stick a 45MP cam in their hands, they wouldnt know what to do with it.

For commissioned studio work, etc, I use an HD4 with the hioghest possible MP backs, along with this you have to invest in softwares for about 8 grand, computer upgrades for 5 grand. Majority of people dont even think of that. :)

Just curious, rent or own ?

lagereek

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 04:57 »

Just curious, rent or own ?

Own!  its also better idea to invest in equipment, rather then pay lots of tax,  equipment is deductable in a LTD photography business. Even so my point was, many people are under the impression that cams and lenses are enough, that just the beginning. Even with the little D3X, a slight upgrade all over the board is a must.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:01 by lagereek »

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30 »
^^ I agree but tax law are different from country to country.  Here camera EQ is deductable over 8 years! (linear curve).
Respect on the H4d (60mp version?), my partner drools over that one :)

lagereek

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42 »
^^ I agree but tax law are different from country to country.  Here camera EQ is deductable over 8 years! (linear curve).
Respect on the H4d (60mp version?), my partner drools over that one :)

WOW!  thats harsh tax rules!  it isnt much better here in Sweden, we are allowed to deduct 25% during 4 years, pretty harsh considering the price here, example a Canon 5dMII, is around 5K, body alone.
Yes the HD4, is a fabulous camera BUT, it wouldnt be anything without its superb optics. Its cumbersome and really I would only use it for studio works, Ive used it on location many times but its a bit slowish. For stock alone, I much prefer the Canona and Nikons. :)

all the best.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 18:43 »
Canon Rumors is now saying there will be an announcement on 2/27 or 2/28 and they seem pretty confident these are the specs.

22mp
   61pt AF
   100% VF
   3.2″ LCD
   Dual CF/SD Card Slots
   Price: Around $3500 USD
   Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

This just doesn't make sense. Unless there's some spectacular feature Canon is keeping secret this is pretty disappointing. A focus upgrade and several minor enhancements for $1,000 more? The new 1DX also has a 61pt autofocus so this just looks like a 1DX junior.

What's the point? Who would buy this? People who need focus performance and speed will get a 1DX. Will current 5DMII users drop $3,500 just to get better focus? Not me. I honestly don't know what the bitching is about the 5DMII focus. Never had a problem. I shot a race with it and got excellent focus performance. People who need high resolution will be jumping to a Nikon D800.   ???

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 18:50 »
$3500 is way too much for these improvements, I'd rather invest in some more lenses and keep my 5D2s.

wut

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 19:55 »
I honestly don't know what the bitching is about the 5DMII focus. Never had a problem. I shot a race with it and got excellent focus performance.

Try using the outer non-cross type AF points, they'll drive you crazy, even in relatively good lighting conditions, I guarantee you that ;) . I even had problems in the studio a few times, I almost never use the central AF point (I don't want to recompose and you actually can't if you want things in focus while using big apertures), because I shoot only ppl. 5Ds AF is just so much worse compared to 1 series, there's also a big difference if you compare it with the 7D or even 40/50/60D (all the AF points are cross type)

antistock

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 01:21 »
45MP ? i say it's BS !
and which market are they targeting ? whoever has no money for a 60MP Hasselblad ?

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45 »
I'll be shocked if they don't have more than 22mp.  My 550D has a much smaller sensor and is a few years old now and has 18mp.  It's nowhere near as good as the 5DMKII but after all this time, they should be able to come up with at least a decent 30mp full frame camera.

I can't see how they can noticeably improve the IQ much, it's already very good.  Some extra mp's to allow more cropping would be a big improvement.

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40 »
I can't see how they can noticeably improve the IQ much, it's already very good. 

I can see: less noise, better dynamics, better color.

lagereek

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 05:16 »
I'll be shocked if they don't have more than 22mp.  My 550D has a much smaller sensor and is a few years old now and has 18mp.  It's nowhere near as good as the 5DMKII but after all this time, they should be able to come up with at least a decent 30mp full frame camera.

I can't see how they can noticeably improve the IQ much, it's already very good.  Some extra mp's to allow more cropping would be a big improvement.

Yes but I wouldnt count on much more then 24Mp, the MP race is pretty much over and really, there is no need for a DSLR with any 45MP, we are already producing MF results with the MII and the D3X.
As you say IQ, range, noise and ofcourse optics is much more of a priority.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05 »

Yes but I wouldnt count on much more then 24Mp, the MP race is pretty much over and really, there is no need for a DSLR with any 45MP, we are already producing MF results with the MII and the D3X.
As you say IQ, range, noise and ofcourse optics is much more of a priority.

It's the truth.
I'd also add good AF, for me is important. A reasonable part of my work is action/sport shots which, even staged, could use a good AF.

KB

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31 »
I'll be shocked if they don't have more than 22mp.
Prepare to be shocked, then. Canon Rumors assigned it [CR3]; they're never wrong on those.

What's missing from those specs is details.  Maybe they can't improve IQ much, but what about IQ at higher ISOs? What if they can make ISO 1600 as noise-free as ISO 200 is now? Or ISO 6400 as good as 1600 is? Maybe there's better weather sealing or (oh, I wish!) a better dust removal system. (Sure those are not worth $3500 by themselves, but the more improvements, the more worthwhile it becomes.)

But the 22MP number (I read somewhere) was aimed specifically at video. So I expect most of the improvements will be on the video side. Reducing or eliminating moire and the jello effect, and adding features that I can't even guess at (zebra stripes? 1080p 60fps? 4:2:2?).  We'll know soon enough.

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11 »
$3500 is way too much for these improvements, I'd rather invest in some more lenses and keep my 5D2s.

i can't wait to be officially announced.... For me, the reason is simple: i will buy a new 5D2 at a better price...:D

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 12:16 »
I honestly don't know what the bitching is about the 5DMII focus. Never had a problem. I shot a race with it and got excellent focus performance.

Try using the outer non-cross type AF points, they'll drive you crazy, even in relatively good lighting conditions, I guarantee you that ;) . I even had problems in the studio a few times, I almost never use the central AF point (I don't want to recompose and you actually can't if you want things in focus while using big apertures), because I shoot only ppl. 5Ds AF is just so much worse compared to 1 series, there's also a big difference if you compare it with the 7D or even 40/50/60D (all the AF points are cross type)

the old 40D have better auto focus than 5D MK2 ??? i know that the 40D have all 9 points cross type.... 5d???

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28 »
I suspect we will see vastly improved video capabilities.  Most of us are looking at this from a still image perspective, but the 5D MkII is incredibly popular with cinema and video folk.  A much improved AF processing system on a new 5D might be part of that.  Also, the way you typically increase the number of pixels is to reduce the size of the circuitry around the pixel wells so you can fit more in.  The other option is to shrink the circuitry and make the wells much bigger, which gives you much better high ISO performance.  This is also handy for video, because in a dark scene, the noise from digital cameras still doesn't look as nice as the old grain you would get from film.  Bigger wells, higher ISO, better low light video results. 

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30 »
I'll be shocked if they don't have more than 22mp.
Prepare to be shocked, then. Canon Rumors assigned it [CR3]; they're never wrong on those.

What's missing from those specs is details.  Maybe they can't improve IQ much, but what about IQ at higher ISOs? What if they can make ISO 1600 as noise-free as ISO 200 is now? Or ISO 6400 as good as 1600 is? Maybe there's better weather sealing or (oh, I wish!) a better dust removal system. (Sure those are not worth $3500 by themselves, but the more improvements, the more worthwhile it becomes.)

But the 22MP number (I read somewhere) was aimed specifically at video. So I expect most of the improvements will be on the video side. Reducing or eliminating moire and the jello effect, and adding features that I can't even guess at (zebra stripes? 1080p 60fps? 4:2:2?).  We'll know soon enough.
There's also talk of a 45mp camera and that Canon will quickly look at the new Nikon and come up with something a bit better.

While a lot of people want more FPS and faster auto focus, I would be much more interested in a stripped down camera that wasn't so heavy to carry around all day.  I only use manual and aperture priority, don't need all the gimmicks.  Can't remember ever using ISO past 3200.  I don't really see why digital full frame cameras are so much bulkier than some of the 35mm film cameras I used to use.  Hopefully a manufacturer will make a lightweight full frame camera with an EVF one day.

wut

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40 »

the old 40D have better auto focus than 5D MK2 ??? i know that the 40D have all 9 points cross type.... 5d???

Yes, 5d2 has only 1, pathetic.