pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Using ipad to make stock illustrations  (Read 15801 times)

nic

« on: February 24, 2012, 02:08 »
Is anyone using an ipad to create illustrations for stock?
What apps do you use?
Do you then use photoshop etc on the computer to finish off?
Just curious!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23 »
I'd be interested in hearing this as well.  Adobe has a few nice drawing apps - not sure any are good enough for stock though.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:19 »
I use Adobe Ideas on my iPad. I don't submit directly -way too much clean up! But I will occasionally sketch out ideas, email them to myself and import the sketch into Illustrator to develop.  It is more of a convenience for sketching on the run (paperless) than a practicality for professional use.  I would like to see them develop an app with pressure sensitivity, but I'm sure that is a way off.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:39 »
I've used Adobe ideas for my last two illustration uploads on istock-some stippled renderings that didn't need touch sensitivity as they were all identical sized dots, but were much easier to do using the iPad screen as I could place the dots more accurately than with a Wacom tablet.

For these, all I needed to do in Illustrator was to close up all the open paths (as there were several thousand, that strained the resources of my computer a bit).

Doing anything other than simple monochrome or flat colour in Ideas I think requires too much tidying up. But I haven't tried anything more complex since istock started taking transparencies, so it might be easier now. The biggest problem is all the open paths that are created, and merging strokes together. Unlike the blob brush in illy, Ideas leaves all the paths unmerged.

Hockney uses Brushes, apparently, which is a pixel based rather than a vector based app. I quite like Brushes but my favorite sketching app is currently Paper by 53. It has the best pencil emulator of all the drawing apps by miles, but it's best for monochrome stuff as it doesn't deal with colour very usefully.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:41 by Susan S. »

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:43 »
not the brightest idea I have ever heard :)

Why waste precious drawing time on useless apps, while you have the ultimate drawing tool, Adobe Illustrator

- Next year this time though, I will have done many stock illustrations using a touch-pad PC.. It will be using a windows tab with Adobe illustrator on it..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:46 by cidepix »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:50 »

Why waste precious drawing time on useless apps, while you have the ultimate drawing tool, Adobe Illustrator

Ask DH why he wastes his time on useless apps while he has canvas and paint.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:11 »

Ask DH why he wastes his time on useless apps while he has canvas and paint.

the thread is about stock illustrations and in most cases stock illustrations are VECTORS.. There isn't a vector drawing tool comparable to Adobe Illustrator, YET..

But there will be adobe illustrator itself, soon, not on ipad, but on a windows pad.. you can also ask DH if he thinks ipad is the best drawing tool.. I bet he could have done better using corel painter on a mac or a PC...

Why not use the best tool available? ipad is not currently the best tool you can use.. I won't use it just for the sake of using it :) I might use it, if it one day becomes the standard for drawing..

as I said before, windows tabs will be available soon and we will have great drawing tablets.. I am not against using a tablet for drawing.. I said it in my first post.. I am just waiting for the "right" tablet PC that will be as good at drawing as any other drawing tool..

At the end of this year, windows 8 is going to make a new revolution.. That's the time when I will start using tablets for drawing..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:45 by cidepix »

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:25 »
Windows tablets have been available for a while that run Photoshop and Illustrator. Long before the ipad.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44 »
Windows tablets have been available for a while that run Photoshop and Illustrator. Long before the ipad.

I know but not the ones I want  ;D

the ones I want are coming out this year..

- The ones that run windows 8,
- the ones that also turn into laptops..
- the ones that have android and IOS like interface..

here is an example:

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga hands-on video

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:01 »
Looks pretty cool. It is a crazy flippin' yoga laptop like she said in the video.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10 »
Looks pretty cool. It is a crazy flippin' yoga laptop like she said in the video.

imagine adobe illustrator on it :) with a sensitive pen and screen wacom tablets may become part of history soon..

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03 »
imagine adobe illustrator on it :) with a sensitive pen and screen wacom tablets may become part of history soon..

LOL. I draw with a mouse, so don't look for me to lead the revolution.  ;D

helix7

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:29 »

Wacom is, in my opinion, screwed. And I think they know it.

They were at least forward-thinking enough to see the writing on the wall and tried to branch into the software and accessories area with their iPad stylus and Bamboo drawing app. The stylus rocks, but the app fell short. 53's Paper blew them away.

I can't justify the expense of an iPad and another tablet device just for drawing, nor do I want so many devices. As soon as iPads and Windows tabs work out the additional functions of pressure sensitivity and other Wacom features, Wacom is done.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 14:16 »

Wacom is, in my opinion, screwed. And I think they know it.

They were at least forward-thinking enough to see the writing on the wall and tried to branch into the software and accessories area with their iPad stylus and Bamboo drawing app. The stylus rocks, but the app fell short. 53's Paper blew them away.

I can't justify the expense of an iPad and another tablet device just for drawing, nor do I want so many devices. As soon as iPads and Windows tabs work out the additional functions of pressure sensitivity and other Wacom features, Wacom is done.

Yep! That's what's gonna happen..

Looking forward to get rid of my wacom tablet and start drawing on a windows tab :)

As soon as they make a windows tab that's good enough, I am making the switch.. Wacom is done, unless, they start making tabs for windows or android :)  (or make some other wise decisions, because the business as they know it, is no longer viable)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 14:17 by cidepix »

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24 »
Thats a awesome post thanks for turning me onto this I will test it tonight. I too use a mouse and found it a had transition to a tablet but to draw on screen  (for under $1000)  thats unbelievable.