pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: IS/Getty, hotshots!  (Read 23280 times)

lagereek

« on: February 28, 2012, 14:18 »
Jeez!  not one single true to life medical shot, all posed and with terrible models, even some of the surgical, medical instruments are held, in the wrong way. Some of the medical staff looks more like coalminers then phycisians.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 15:00 »
Are you being serious Lagereek? Honestly, I never know with you... sometimes your hatred of all things Getty/iStock almost seems like trolling. For stock, these don't seem particularly egregious. But then again, I'm no doctor.

Here's the link for those that don't receive the newsletter: http://links.mkt2173.com/servlet/MailView?ms=NDQxNzc2NQS2&r=MTc4NDI3MjU4OTIS1&j=MjY0MzQzNTcwS0&mt=1&rt=0

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 15:10 »
Obviously, lagereek must be a doctor... or a spin doctor, at the very least.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 15:10 »
Jeez!  not one single true to life medical shot, all posed and with terrible models, even some of the surgical, medical instruments are held, in the wrong way. Some of the medical staff looks more like coalminers then phycisians.

True enough. Take this one for example, where even someone with no medical training whatsoever, could tell it is not an authentic doctor or medical practice;

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-18563833-doctor-useing-tablet-pc.php?esource=eml_EN_HotShots_02282012&sp_rid=&sp_mid=4417765

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 15:18 »
Jeez!  not one single true to life medical shot, all posed and with terrible models,
Well, congratulations if you can get genuine medical staff to sign MRs.
For the rest, welcome to the wacky world of stock photos.

wut

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 15:44 »
Jeez!  not one single true to life medical shot, all posed and with terrible models,

You could say what you get for regarding micro, but not macro and TAC. The standards really should be higher over there, inspections stricter, not only looking at the technical side of the images, but also authenticity, composition etc.

I didn't really noticed that instruments were held improperly, but they're mostly really boring, except for 4 or so that are decent or even good at least when it comes to composition.

RT

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 16:55 »
Personally I think the iStock selection are far better than the Getty one's, but then again I always think that, and then I always think that it's deliberate to do so.

I'm not sure you'd be able to sell a RF medical photo with anything other than 'posed' models because the doctors over here have a legal obligation to respect patient confidentiality and I believe in this instant (like some other legal technicalities) it's not something the patient is able to legally waive themselves. Might be different in other countries of course.

As for not being true to life, a couple are bad but the others seem alright and having been through a few of the procedures in the photos myself I can say that some are spot on. As someone who has shot stock for most of his life I'm surprised you're shocked that the shots may be staged, I'd hazard a guess that 95% + of all RF photos on all agencies macro and micro are staged in some way or another.

ShadySue

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 16:59 »
I'm not sure you'd be able to sell a RF medical photo with anything other than 'posed' models because the doctors over here have a legal obligation to respect patient confidentiality and I believe in this instant (like some other legal technicalities) it's not something the patient is able to legally waive themselves. Might be different in other countries of course.
You could get a doctor to pose with a model, but like any other profession, as the images can be used or altered in practically any way, why would they agree to that? It's not as though they need the money.
If you knew a doctor, I guess you could ask them to show the model doctor the correct way to do that, but how much would a doctor charge to do that sort of consultancy work? H*ck, they charge around 20 - 30 (and upwards) just to sign a very basic form.

RT

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 17:10 »
You could get a doctor to pose with a model, but like any other profession, as the images can be used or altered in practically any way, why would they agree to that?

Last year my youngest had a minor op, I got talking to the staff and they let me take a few generic photos to use as backdrops, they said the hospital is quite often hired for photo and film shoots but none of the staff are allowed to be used in any of the shots.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 17:25 »
Jeez!  not one single true to life medical shot, all posed and with terrible models, even some of the surgical, medical instruments are held, in the wrong way. Some of the medical staff looks more like coalminers then phycisians.

Thanks!  ( and yet they sell ;) )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 17:27 by sjlocke »

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 17:26 »
I was a medical photographer for 10 years.  Alamy have more realistic photos, like B3298A and A8JFR7.

lagereek

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 17:37 »
I have lost count on how many times I have photographed everything from heart-transplants, autopsies, brain-surgery, the lot, I know the real thing. I have also been a qualified veternary surgeon for over 25 years and yes, instruments are held in the same way, to avoid them from falling, among others.

Ofcourse I have always been a full time photographer but it does help to be medically trained, even if it concerns animals.

Sean is right though, I bet they sell but that wasnt my point here and yes the IS shots are better then Gettys.

This is not anything against Getty/IS, who cares really? but it does show there are some fields where stock simply cant get inside the doors. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 17:41 by lagereek »

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 17:47 »
I have lost count on how many times I have photographed everything from heart-transplants, autopsies, brain-surgery, the lot, I know the real thing. I have also been a qualified veternary surgeon for over 25 years and yes, instruments are held in the same way, to avoid them from falling, among others.

Ofcourse I have always been a full time photographer but it does help to be medically trained, even if it concerns animals.

Sean is right though, I bet they sell but that wasnt my point here and yes the IS shots are better then Gettys.

This is not anything against Getty/IS, who cares really? but it does show there are some fields where stock simply cant get inside the doors. :)

I totally am envisioning you as the most interesting man in the world.   :)

lagereek

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 17:54 »

I totally am envisioning you as the most interesting man in the world.   :)

Hi!  interesting?  I doubt it,  dont get me wrong though, I bet no agency can show the "real" thing, I know I had to sign lots of papers before filming and photographing surgery, etc, its a code of ethics and I was actually filming it for television, etc.
Might interest you to know, the same ethics actually apply to animal surgery and medicine.

best.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 18:15 »

I totally am envisioning you as the most interesting man in the world.   :)

Stay thirsty my friends!

lisafx

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 18:21 »

If you knew a doctor, I guess you could ask them to show the model doctor the correct way to do that, but how much would a doctor charge to do that sort of consultancy work? H*ck, they charge around 20 - 30 (and upwards) just to sign a very basic form.

Exactly.  This is what I have done with some of my medical series.  Shot in the doctor's office, with him standing by to help with posing.  You'd be surprised.  All I have ever had to pay in return is a copy of the pictures for their advertising, and a nice dinner out.  Of course this is with doctors I know, I don't just walk into random doctor's offices and ask them to do this. :)

ShadySue

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 18:43 »
  All I have ever had to pay in return is a copy of the pictures for their advertising,
I still have to do a double take when I read this, then remember the US isn't the UK!

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 18:48 »
  All I have ever had to pay in return is a copy of the pictures for their advertising,
I still have to do a double take when I read this, then remember the US isn't the UK!

... or more importantly __ Scotland.

ShadySue

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 19:09 »

Do doctors advertise in England?

lisafx

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 19:49 »
Oh, I see what you mean.  For you in the UK, medicine is treated as a human right, where here in the US it's a for profit business. 

Something fundamentally wrong about insurance companies and doctors getting rich off the backs of sick people, who often go broke paying medical bills.  But I guess that's veering pretty wildly off topic ;)

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 20:00 »

I totally am envisioning you as the most interesting man in the world.   :)

Stay thirsty my friends!

;D thanks for the laugh. Had a craptastic day and this made me LOL.

ShadySue

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 20:05 »
Oh, I see what you mean.  For you in the UK, medicine is treated as a human right, where here in the US it's a for profit business. 

Something fundamentally wrong about insurance companies and doctors getting rich off the backs of sick people, who often go broke paying medical bills.  But I guess that's veering pretty wildly off topic ;)

Oh well, I hear there's a private hospital in Glasgow or somewhere.

wut

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 20:15 »
Oh, I see what you mean.  For you in the UK, medicine is treated as a human right, where here in the US it's a for profit business

Isn't that true for just about anything? For instance the most popular sports in the states are those with enough breaks for commercials. I've heard a TV commercial during superbowl costs 3 mil/s and advertisers are standing in line to pay sky high amounts of money. OTOH sports like football (you call it soccer) are not popular at all, since there are no breaks, just halftime and that's it. No room for business and it looks like business dictates what's popular in sports and what's not. Or to go back to what's a bit less off topic, what's humane, moral etc and what's not.

lagereek

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16 »

Do doctors advertise in England?

Yes, certain physcians, vets and dentists,, can advertise in England and Sweden, but not on TV and not in daily newspapers.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:18 by lagereek »

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 03:07 »
Oh, I see what you mean.  For you in the UK, medicine is treated as a human right, where here in the US it's a for profit business.  

Something fundamentally wrong about insurance companies and doctors getting rich off the backs of sick people, who often go broke paying medical bills.  But I guess that's veering pretty wildly off topic ;)
I used to be a big fan of the NHS but there are hospitals I would dread going in to now.  The old wards used to be good, the nurses could see all the patients.  Now there's a lot of new hospitals designed so that the nurses can't see the patients from their station.  They have also given the nurses a lot more paperwork and the job doesn't attract the caliber of people it used to.  Patients have a button to call a nurse but if they're confused or can't reach it, that's useless.  When a relative was recently in hospital, I was shocked how standards have changed.  There's still some very good nurses but if a patient can't get their attention, they are in for a bad time.  The food in one hospital was disgusting, perhaps one of the reasons why my relative lost a lot of weight.  I thing it's disgraceful that they are giving food to sick people that healthy people would find inedible.

Now I would like to see the NHS being used just for the poorest in society.  If the majority of people paid medical insurance, I think standards would have to be much higher.  It wont happen though, any government that privatised most of the NHS would lose the next election and it would be re-nationalised.

lagereek

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 03:27 »
Oh, I see what you mean.  For you in the UK, medicine is treated as a human right, where here in the US it's a for profit business.  

Something fundamentally wrong about insurance companies and doctors getting rich off the backs of sick people, who often go broke paying medical bills.  But I guess that's veering pretty wildly off topic ;)
I used to be a big fan of the NHS but there are hospitals I would dread going in to now.  The old wards used to be good, the nurses could see all the patients.  Now there's a lot of new hospitals designed so that the nurses can't see the patients from their station.  They have also given the nurses a lot more paperwork and the job doesn't attract the caliber of people it used to.  Patients have a button to call a nurse but if they're confused or can't reach it, that's useless.  When a relative was recently in hospital, I was shocked how standards have changed.  There's still some very good nurses but if a patient can't get their attention, they are in for a bad time.  The food in one hospital was disgusting, perhaps one of the reasons why my relative lost a lot of weight.  I thing it's disgraceful that they are giving food to sick people that healthy people would find inedible.

Now I would like to see the NHS being used just for the poorest in society.  If the majority of people paid medical insurance, I think standards would have to be much higher.  It wont happen though, any government that privatised most of the NHS would lose the next election and it would be re-nationalised.

Yes, the NHS, isnt what it used to be, in some respects the American system of insurance is better or at least it grants good medical attention and for a small annual fee of insurance. Once down in Florida, I got bitten by a reptile and had s to spend three days in a hospital, cant remember its name but it was in Port Everglades or just outside. This whole affair costed me 10 bucks, had in been in Sweden, it would have costed a fortune.

CarlssonInc

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 04:01 »

Yes, the NHS, isnt what it used to be, in some respects the American system of insurance is better or at least it grants good medical attention and for a small annual fee of insurance. Once down in Florida, I got bitten by a reptile and had s to spend three days in a hospital, cant remember its name but it was in Port Everglades or just outside. This whole affair costed me 10 bucks, had in been in Sweden, it would have costed a fortune.

For people that are out of work in the U.S. I doubt they consider the insurance fee small....only when it is paid by an employer it could be considered small. Don't understand that kind of system at all. Here you get first class medical care whether you are poor or rich, working or not working - it is considered a basic human right.

Also, what do you mean by it would have costed a fortune in Sweden? Overnight hospital stays do carry a charge...but it is like SEK90 per day, 3x90kr = 270kr or $40 is hardly a fortune?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:13 by CarlssonInc. Stock Imagery Production »

lagereek

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16 »

For people that are out of work in the U.S. I doubt they consider the insurance fee small....only when it is paid by an employer it could be considered small. Don't understand that kind of system at all. Here you get first class medical care whether you are poor or rich, working or not working - it is considered a basic human right.

Also, what do you mean by it would have costed a fortune in Sweden? Overnight hospital stays do carry a charge...but it is like SEK90 per day, 3x90kr = 270kr or $40 is hardly a fortune?

Hi Martin!  I dont know where you ended up with these figures, fortunately I have never had to spend time in a Swedish hospital but my old mother came out of hospital a few months back, 8 days, with care, this and that and found herself with a bill of 600 dollars, about 4000 kr. Not cheap is it?
Apart from that our elder-care is just about non existant, 3 years for a hip replacement,  dental-care so expensive the ordinary person dont go to the dentist anymore. Sweden is more known for its medical and surgical expertise, rather then its hospitals and free medical care.

Oh by the way, 2 years ago, my dentist gave me,  three implants, at 1100, bucks a piece:  3300 dollars. Not cheap.

Politically, all of these small Scandinavian countries want to make out how great everything is and many things are! but there is also a dark side to this.

best.

CarlssonInc

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 06:45 »

Hi Martin!  I dont know where you ended up with these figures, fortunately I have never had to spend time in a Swedish hospital but my old mother came out of hospital a few months back, 8 days, with care, this and that and found herself with a bill of 600 dollars, about 4000 kr. Not cheap is it?
Apart from that our elder-care is just about non existant, 3 years for a hip replacement,  dental-care so expensive the ordinary person dont go to the dentist anymore. Sweden is more known for its medical and surgical expertise, rather then its hospitals and free medical care.

Oh by the way, 2 years ago, my dentist gave me,  three implants, at 1100, bucks a piece:  3300 dollars. Not cheap.

Politically, all of these small Scandinavian countries want to make out how great everything is and many things are! but there is also a dark side to this.

best.

Sounds really odd about your mother. Maximum you have to pay per year in medical care is 900kr, after that it is completely free. That is unless she jumped the queue and went privately? But yes, overnight stays do cost, usually 90kr per night, but can be up to 300kr - so that could explain it somewhat...(8-300kr=2400kr), plus add some medicines you (maxium you have to pay per year for meds 1600kr) and you get close. Dread to think what an 8 night stay in hospital would cost in the U.S. though....

Yes, the dentists are expensive. However you do get an allowance of 3-400kr per year that you can claim towards dental care. Anyway, another good reason to brush ones teeth properly!

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 07:07 »
...Oh by the way, 2 years ago, my dentist gave me,  three implants, at 1100, bucks a piece:  3300 dollars. Not cheap.
I think it costs almost that much for one tooth in the UK (2,000).  They don't do implants on the NHS, except in some exceptional cases.  People are paying lots of tax for the NHS and having to go to Europe for cheaper tooth implants.

grp_photo

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 07:09 »
If these supposed to be the best medical shots I must agree that most are not very good.

lisafx

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 13:18 »

Gotta side with CarlssonInc. on this one.  Christian, not sure where you got the idea that insurance premiums are "small" here in the US.  We (hubby and I) pay substantially more each month to our health insurance company than we pay on our mortgage!  Plus we get the pleasure of paying a copay for every doctor visit and every prescription.  And every year the cost goes up, and the things they cover become fewer.  

It's.....what's the word I'm looking for...... Oh yeah:  UNSUSTAINABLE.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 13:20 by lisafx »

wut

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 13:28 »

Gotta side with CarlssonInc. on this one.  Christian, not sure where you got the idea that insurance premiums are "small" here in the US.  We (hubby and I) pay substantially more each month to our health insurance company than we pay on our mortgage!  Plus we get the pleasure of paying a copay for every doctor visit and every prescription.  And every year the cost goes up, and the things they cover become fewer.  

So the situation is by far the worst for the lower class, not only because of the cost of health care services and insurance, but the cost of living. Let me explain, poor ppl can't afford to eat quality food, if they go out they go to McD or some other fast food joint, which leads to cardiovascular diseases, obesity, which leads to diabetes, high blood pressure etc so they in fact have to pay even more since they have to visit the doctor and pay for their medicines more often

lagereek

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 14:11 »

Hi!

Yeah that bloody word creeps up everywhere, doesnt it. No I dont mean cheap premiums, but I must say the standards of hospitals in the US, is very good, well at least thats my experience.

BTW,  one of my horses kicked out three of my teeth, everything else was OK, so it was down to inplants and since cosmetic work isnt subsidised by anybody in Sweden, it is very expensive, although listening to the prices in UK,  one shudders.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 14:22 »
I think the hotshots are really good this month. In fact I rated many of them. I didn't realize "Doctor" was in your long list of self-proclaimed accomplishments Christian ;-)

lagereek

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 15:37 »
I think the hotshots are really good this month. In fact I rated many of them. I didn't realize "Doctor" was in your long list of self-proclaimed accomplishments Christian ;-)

Thats an insult!  not like you!  read my post. Not doctor but Vet!  there is a differance you know, the doctor is for people, a vet or veterinary surgeon takes care of animals.

Caz

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 16:01 »
It's interesting that one of the iStock images was shot by a qualified doctor (who happens to be a contributor also). Perhaps there are some diveregencies in practice between doctors and veterinaries  ;)

lisafx

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 16:38 »

Thats an insult!  not like you!  read my post. Not doctor but Vet!  there is a differance you know, the doctor is for people, a vet or veterinary surgeon takes care of animals.

The difference is that doctors only know how to treat one animal, and veterinarians have to know how to treat them all! 

Sorry about your kick in the face Christian.  You must have gotten that horse as riled up as you get some people around here ;D

Glad to hear you got your smile fixed.  :)

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 17:18 »
hah, Christian...I thought you were beyond insults. don't dish it out if you can't take it.... ;D I'm sure the people who created the hot shots loved your blanket dismissal of their talents.

Lisa- so true about vets. they need to know the anatomy of how many species!? lowly human doctors need remember just one anatomy....lol
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 17:22 by SNP »

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 17:31 »

I thought you became a doctor when you retired as a footballer before going on to become an astronaut and then winning the Nobel peace prize. I'm sure that was in one of your earlier posts.

lagereek

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04 »

The difference is that doctors only know how to treat one animal, and veterinarians have to know how to treat them all! 

Sorry about your kick in the face Christian.  You must have gotten that horse as riled up as you get some people around here ;D

Glad to hear you got your smile fixed.  :)

Not today though, back in 84 when I took my exams, we even had to know about exotic animals, you know reptiles, insects, parrots, you name it. Today, thats not included, its a special area.
Most of todays veterinary studies involves pets, horses and cows.

lagereek

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 02:08 »

I thought you became a doctor when you retired as a footballer before going on to become an astronaut and then winning the Nobel peace prize. I'm sure that was in one of your earlier posts.

Dont forget my escaspades during WW2,  paraschuted myself over to London, the rest is history I ended up in the Spandau nick.

lisafx

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 14:07 »
Well Christian, you have certainly livened up this thread and kept us all entertained :D

lagereek

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 14:14 »
Well Christian, you have certainly livened up this thread and kept us all entertained :D

Cheers! :)

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 14:55 »

- His personality is so magnetic, he is unable to carry credit cards.
- His words carry weight that would break a less interesting mans jaw.
- His blood smells like cologne.
- If he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there.

Like I said, he is... the most interesting man in the world!

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 22:18 »

are these yours or did you borrow them? they are brilliant. I love your post

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 23:52 »

Oh yes, he is the most interesting man indeed. :D

His legend precedes him, the way lightning precedes thunder.

His hands feel like rich, brown swede.

He speaks fluent French, in Russian.

Hes won trophies for his game face alone.

lagereek

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 01:21 »

Like I said, he is... the most interesting man in the world!

Brillant! :D ,  is that an Oscar Wilde or Lord Byron? ( exept for the credit-cards),  cause if its your own I really take my hat off. Brillant.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:23 by lagereek »

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 01:34 »

His hands feel like what? lol......suede and a Swede are two very different things ;D

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 02:10 »
I missed the incorrect spelling.

I guess Dos Equis doesn't advertise outside the US.
Here is the link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Interesting_Man_in_the_World

YouTube has the commercials. All classics!

lagereek

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 02:29 »

His hands feel like what? lol......suede and a Swede are two very different things ;D

Thats right Stacey!  you tell em! :)

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 06:32 »

I wish I could take credit. As retrorocket said, it's an on-going and brilliant advertising campaign by Dos Equis beer. I thought it was world-wide, but maybe it's focused here in the states.

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 12:28 »
Some say that he was a CIA experiment gone wrong, and that he only eats cheese.
Some say he's the main cause of global warming and his stomach is reverse engineered to make the I-Phone.
Some say he never blinks, and that he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves.

A few from Top Gear :)

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 17:58 »

Maybe he meant that 22 year old, female SWEDE model with smooth chocolate skin, C-cups and long, brown, flowing hair, pretty white straight teeth with a smile that says, "take me, Christian".  That kind of brown Swede.

RacePhoto

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 19:26 »

Here is the link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Interesting_Man_in_the_World

YouTube Commercials, some extended versions.

http://tinyurl.com/7yq4t5q

lagereek

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 04:53 »

Maybe he meant that 22 year old, female SWEDE model with smooth chocolate skin, C-cups and long, brown, flowing hair, pretty white straight teeth with a smile that says, "take me, Christian".  That kind of brown Swede.

brown Swede?  that will be the day, here the gals are totally overrated, milky white, ugly as hell, on top of that they believe in womens lib, so they are all battleaxes, bunch of old boilers, I would say.

wut

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 05:33 »
brown Swede?  that will be the day, here the gals are totally overrated, milky white, ugly as hell, on top of that they believe in womens lib, so they are all battleaxes, bunch of old boilers, I would say.

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50 »

Yes, I have to believe that Christian is a Dos Equis man! I would LOVE to have one of those tiny giraffes lounging on my sofa.  :D

I find all of your comments, Christian, very entertaining. Interesting to read that you were a vet. I'll bet you have many more good stories besides the getting kicked in the teeth one. Most vets I knew did. (I used to own horses).

wut

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34 »
I find all of your comments, Christian, very entertaining. Interesting to read that you were a vet. I'll bet you have many more good stories besides the getting kicked in the teeth one. Most vets I knew did. (I used to own horses).

Yeah I bet there are some shepherd stories to tell (adventures with sheep etc:)

lagereek

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22 »

Yes, I have to believe that Christian is a Dos Equis man! I would LOVE to have one of those tiny giraffes lounging on my sofa.  :D

Yes there are many funny and horrifying stories. Australia was my dream as a young vet, the wildlife is totally unique, nothing like it and I ended up doing 2 years of practice in a small town at Shark-bay in Australia. Ofcourse it was a dream, everything from marine animals to exotic and poisonous insects, spiders, you name it. People over there are as tough as nails, when they got bitten by something dangerous they didnt even bother to go to hospital, they used to come to our vet-station for the antibodies.

Nowdays I have a horse farm, 12 horses and my wife has a kennel with 8 Russian sight-hounds and 6 miniture pinschers, so you can imagine Im a fulltime photographer but also an unpaid vet with all our own animals and there is ALWAYS some dog or horse that gets sick. :)

RacePhoto

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 12:53 »

Yes that explains it... the getting kicked in the head too many times part.  :o

wut

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 13:24 »

Yes that explains it... the getting kicked in the head too many times part.  :o

I didn't mean it that way, but as in lagereek to the rescue of stuck shepherds ;D

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 13:43 »
Yes there are many funny and horrifying stories. Australia was my dream as a young vet, the wildlife is totally unique, nothing like it and I ended up doing 2 years of practice in a small town at Shark-bay in Australia. Ofcourse it was a dream, everything from marine animals to exotic and poisonous insects, spiders, you name it. People over there are as tough as nails, when they got bitten by something dangerous they didnt even bother to go to hospital, they used to come to our vet-station for the antibodies.

Nowdays I have a horse farm, 12 horses and my wife has a kennel with 8 Russian sight-hounds and 6 miniture pinschers, so you can imagine Im a fulltime photographer but also an unpaid vet with all our own animals and there is ALWAYS some dog or horse that gets sick. :)

Borzois?

12 horses, that's a lot!

lagereek

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 15:54 »

Borzois?

12 horses, that's a lot!

Borzois!  thats right, good on you, not many people know their proper names. Im impressed. The Russian Tzars used them for wolf hunting.

all the best. Christian
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 16:03 by lagereek »

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 16:17 »

Borzois?

12 horses, that's a lot!

Borzois!  thats right, good on you, not many people know their proper names. Im impressed. The Russian Tzars used them for wolf hunting.

all the best. Christian

I had a woman that worked for me that raised Borzois. Plus, I've seen them at dog competitions on TV. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't know either.   :)

lagereek

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 17:00 »

Borzois?

12 horses, that's a lot!

all the best. Christian

I had a woman that worked for me that raised Borzois. Plus, I've seen them at dog competitions on TV. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't know either.   :)

Thats right, My Borzois are compeeting in Lure-coursing, racing, they reach a speed of approx, 80 km/hour, lure coursing is simulated wolf hunting, they chase a lure for about 1000 meters, around bends and everything.
The power is astronomical,  imagine a 50 kg dog, at that speed, I am totally fascinated by it. Nothing in the world gives me such a kick then to watch my dogs participate in this.

Animals are truly fantastic, in every way,  we have a lot to learn from them. compassion, friendship, innocense, just about everything, they were here before us.

all the best. Christian :)

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 17:17 »
Yep, that what I saw the doing, chasing a flag-type thing on a line that went really fast around a field. You are right about animals...good friends, for sure.

lagereek

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 01:14 »
Yep, that what I saw the doing, chasing a flag-type thing on a line that went really fast around a field. You are right about animals...good friends, for sure.

In June I am off to Budapest,  thats where they stage the European championships in Lure-coursing, hope to get some good pics in Budapest as well,  beautyful city.

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15 »

In June I am off to Budapest,  thats where they stage the European championships in Lure-coursing, hope to get some good pics in Budapest as well,  beautyful city.
Nice!

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 11:52 »
Hey Thats my VIDEO on HotShots this month :D

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55 »
Worked in Medicine for 15 years and I don't feel the shots are all that bad. Reason is you don't really want the raw reality of medicine, you are better off trying to tell a story with your image.

lagereek

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02 »
Worked in Medicine for 15 years and I don't feel the shots are all that bad. Reason is you don't really want the raw reality of medicine, you are better off trying to tell a story with your image.

Quite true, you could never show the brutal reality of medicine or surgery, as a Vet, Ive seen some horrific stuff, films and stills and I have photographed surgery and veterinary-surgery for over 20 years.
However, there is always a lack of authenticity of stock shots in the medical field, always. Either the models are not holding the surgical instruments in the correct way, which is important should medical journals, etc, buy the pictures, or the models simply dont look the part, or its just too obvious its shot in a studio.

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44 »
Agreed, I try to make my clips medically correct, I have a few that miss like when the doctor opens the pill bottled and looks at the pills in her hand ooops you never let pills touch your skin! funny how
a lot of people have no clue and buy it anyway

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 18:11 »

My wife's entire medical and support staff of about 40 signed releases for me (with the blessing of the major NYC hospital where she works), so it CAN be done.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 23:10 »

My wife's entire medical and support staff of about 40 signed releases for me (with the blessing of the major NYC hospital where she works), so it CAN be done.

well done. that's pretty awesome

lagereek

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2012, 01:06 »

thats great!  get some awesome stuff, I bet! :)

wut

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2012, 14:27 »
What do you say about today's hotshots? What do you think about Vetta files? All I can say for most of them is; wow! :o Really?!? ???

lagereek

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2012, 15:25 »
What do you say about today's hotshots? What do you think about Vetta files? All I can say for most of them is; wow! :o Really?!? ???

same here. :o ???

ShadySue

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2012, 18:53 »
No comment about the quality of the files, but it did seem odd to be highlighting winter files in March.
Getting ready for the southern hemisphere winter?  ???
(Do HotShots go to buyers?)

CarlssonInc

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06 »
@lagereel and wut

Although I'm not referring to these Vetta files in particular when I say that I totally agree with "wow! :o Really ?1?" when viewing Vetty (and Agency) files, but the few I got in there do sell at a good rate so they must be doing something right?

lagereek

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 02:11 »
@lagereel and wut

Although I'm not referring to these Vetta files in particular when I say that I totally agree with "wow! :o Really ?1?" when viewing Vetty (and Agency) files, but the few I got in there do sell at a good rate so they must be doing something right?

Hi!  yes, everything at IS nowdays seem to have an editorial feel and as Sue, above says, funny to promote winter pics in March?

CarlssonInc

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 02:22 »
@lagereel and wut

Hi!  yes, everything at IS nowdays seem to have an editorial feel and as Sue, above says, funny to promote winter pics in March?

Isn't winter just around the corner in Australia - * they don't have much snow there do they... Otherwise I guess the time between marketing and sale is very fast at iStock, and they are not completely wrong as we still have a few patches of snow left here, and many other places are still under full cover.

lagereek

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 05:08 »
@lagereel and wut

Isn't winter just around the corner in Australia -  they don't have much snow there do they... Otherwise I guess the time between marketing and sale is very fast at iStock, and they are not completely wrong as we still have a few patches of snow left here, and many other places are still under full cover.

I have spent a winter in Australia, freezing cold, only 20 degrees plus! :)

CarlssonInc

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 05:15 »
@lagereel and wut

Isn't winter just around the corner in Australia -  they don't have much snow there do they... Otherwise I guess the time between marketing and sale is very fast at iStock, and they are not completely wrong as we still have a few patches of snow left here, and many other places are still under full cover.

they even have a ski-resort or two somewhere If I don't remember incorrectly?

wut

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 05:20 »
@lagereel and wut

I'd give just about anything to never ever see snow again and to experience freezing cold winters at 20C :) . Sounds like paradise to me

CarlssonInc

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2012, 05:22 »
@lagereel and wut

I'd give just about anything to never ever see snow again and to experience freezing cold winters at 20C :) . Sounds like paradise to me

I love the winters, the harsher, the colder, the snowier the better - makes you appreciate and makes sure that one takes full advantage of the summer.

wut

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29 »
I can very much appreciate summer, every time it drops below 10C ;D . A friend of mine is thinking about moving to Brisbane, I checked the climate and it looks perfect. Two variations of summers, a cooler in July with average highs around 23C and then normal summer around January

wut

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2012, 13:15 »
Have you seen the latest? Man, IS shots were so outclassed by Getty's. A few grades better. IN this case you really do get what you pay for. Well not really in case of E+/A/V files, that cost almost the same as Getty's (AC perhaps matches their price?).

Wow, I must say I really like the Getty shots, so much more natural, also the lighting is natural and just awesome.

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2012, 13:25 »
Wow, I must say I really like the Getty shots, so much more natural, also the lighting is natural and just awesome.

Really?  I thought they were what they were - most looked to be shot with natural light.  Kinda a mixed bag overall ( except mine, which was awesome ;) ).

wut

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2012, 13:38 »

Really?  I thought they were what they were - most looked to be shot with natural light.  Kinda a mixed bag overall ( except mine, which was awesome ;) ).

Indeed most IS were shot with natural light (I checked it again). But they mostly don't work, except for the first one, which is a good shot. Getty's do, they really captured and used that natural lighting as best they could in all of them (the lighting in the 4th shot wasn't natural though, the only one, but the personal perspective is a nice touch)