MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: The Power of Introverts  (Read 4564 times)

rubyroo

« on: March 29, 2012, 09:56 »
If you're an introvert at heart, you might just enjoy this as much as I did (19 mins TED talk):

http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html

rubyroo

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59 »
Just me then?  LOL

I thought her definition of an introvert was interesting... it came across more as studious, thoughtful, considered types to me, which I think a lot of creatives tend to be - certainly those in my circles are.  Funnily enough though my non-creative friends don't see that side of me at all...

I can completely relate to the 'over-stimulated' aspect she mentioned.  I can't bear malls or big crowds of people... (thank God for Amazon!)  Give me quiet time on a hillside over that any day.   If my schooling had involved all that group work, I don't think I'd have learned a thing.  It's always a shame when assumptions are made on that scale, I feel.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:03 »
Just me then?  LOL

The rest of us are just keeping ourselves to ourselves

rubyroo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:11 »
 :D :D            -->  :D

Ed

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 13:31 »
It was a good video...and I agree with her.  Per Myers Briggs, I am an INTP and I could TOTALLY identify with her.

Ed

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 13:32 »
p.s. - I am an Amazon Prime member and the UPS delivery guy knows my house very well (in fact he will be here at least twice next week).

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 14:14 »
Not just you, but I tend to read, think, and keep quiet about it!
Thanks for the link, I'm pleased to hear that there are so many of us!

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 14:48 »
I've read several references to this, still have to watch it, but I am suspicious of the process of sympathetic labelling that sucks people into accepting that they are part of a group that is defined by a guru. It's the same process that religious leaders use to dominate their sheep .... oops, meant "flocks". I can very easily find aspects of my own personality that span everything from submissive/introspective to assertive/extrovert. You can pluck any string on the continuum and I will say, wow, you're describing me, at last someone understands, I believe!"
Is this really any different?

WarrenPrice

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 15:31 »
^^ BINGO!!!

rubyroo

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 15:58 »
That's kind of patronising I think.  I'm certainly not looking for a label, I have a strong aversion to being categorised and labeled.

What I find interesting about this is that she is making some attempt to redress the balance in a world (most particularly she's speaking of the USA, but of course US ideas and practices seep out into the rest of the world) which has become centred on the notion that extroversion is somehow 'correct' even to the point where shyness is something kids can be medicated out of.

It's just gone too far in that direction and there should be room for everyone.  One of the reasons I'm so averse to labels is that I feel the range of 'normal' has become too narrow, and the world is a poorer place for that.  Another is exactly as you say - we're all unique and complex, a mixture of things.  If you watched it, you'd see that she's careful to point out that no-one is entirely introverted or entirely extroverted.  I think it's a valuable contribution, not a guru/follower thing at all.  More than anything it's a kind of heartfelt plea.

@ Ed & Equus, glad you both enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 16:24 by rubyroo »

RacePhoto

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 22:38 »
If you're an introvert at heart, you might just enjoy this as much as I did (19 mins TED talk):

http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html

Requires Flash Player and video, if anyone finds a text version, I know how to read. Until then I'll be missing it.

rubyroo

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 04:51 »
OK... maybe it's me doing something weird, but if I try to post the link to the transcript here, it just embeds the video.

So Race... if you search on:  "the power of introverts" transcript  (with quotes), you'll see some links to 'DotSUB'.  You can read the transcript there.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:59 by rubyroo »

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 05:21 »
I enjoyed that talk. Thank you for posting the link.

I know I get a lot out of the hours I spend quietly creating illustrations, writing, or doing other individual activities. I also know that at some point, during an active gatherings, with a lot of people, I'm going to want to bow out early. I've had a great time, but I'd like to retreat back to a quiet place. It took me a while to stop feeling guilty about that.

It's good to know there are other introverts out there. It's not exactly a group that stands up to be counted.  :)

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06 »
Interesting video, but I don't really see an extroverted or group philosophy taking over though. If anything the internet and telecommuting allows people to work and concentrate by themselves from home, but still check in and stay connected with groups or clients.

Like she said, most people are a balance which is good. You want to be able to be thoughtful and creative, but you also want to be able to explain and sell those ideas you create.

rubyroo

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 13:11 »
A lovely description, Randomway :)

@cthoman - I agree that the time we're in right now is far more suited to less extroverted types, and I think that's pretty much why she's saying 'the time is now'.  But certainly throughout my working life, I've had to wear a mask of extroversion in order to get on - never able to feel really true to myself, and I'm sure she's right in that this kind of expectation was driven by the fact that Carnegie et al were great salesmen, and all the bosses of seemingly every organisation were reading those books and developing those expectations of their staff.  It somehow evolved that to get on, or even get a job of any kind (outside of the purely creative fields), you had to adopt the extroverted manner of a salesperson.  YMMV, of course, but that has certainly been my experience.

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 13:48 »
A lovely description, Randomway :)

@cthoman - I agree that the time we're in right now is far more suited to less extroverted types, and I think that's pretty much why she's saying 'the time is now'.  But certainly throughout my working life, I've had to wear a mask of extroversion in order to get on - never able to feel really true to myself.

So true, this has been my experience exactly, and why I was so thankful to get out of the corporate world and work full time from home as a stock photographer. It's strange though that I now find myself producing stock which in many ways promotes that corporate "team" idea. To be true to myself I should not produce such work, but it brings in money, so I do!

rubyroo

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 16:43 »
I don't see any problem with using the experience and insights you gained for creative purposes.  At least you're outside the picture now :)