MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Yuri Arcurs - Something big will happen on the 3 of May!  (Read 72026 times)

« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32 »
As I said earlier, I don't believe anyone else has the corporate presence to have a chance of pulling off this trick and making it pay, but Yuri does.

What's the trick? Anyone can open their own site, sell their images and make a profit. It's a pretty low bar to entry.

The emphasis is on "making it pay". Anyone can start his/her own website but noone has the same presence as Yuri has to start with. Well, and there are things like marketing and such. It doesnt help to have a website and offer your images as long as nobody visits your site. Thats why some of the calculations made are a little off. You cant say you gain 100% of the commissions paid to the agencies because you need to spend substantual money on marketing. And marketing lets say 3000 images doesnt make sense at all unless they are really unique and niche photos. But Im sure Yuri made his calculations and it does seem to make sense for him. It will definitely also bring some commissioned work - especially since he put up the site pretty clever with model search and other tools. Other companies arent that clever demanding to upload a model release for every single image and therefore lose the valuable data that sits in linking model releases.

I wish him all the best and think he deserves it because he is one of a few that really put a lot of energy into his work. People who work a lot should get their revenue - no matter if stereotype or not. I guess we all have some sort of stereotype - some call it style ;-).

« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2012, 04:30 »
Best of luck Yuri!

wut

« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2012, 04:32 »

Yes, it's something big "for him".  But the more power to him, nonetheless.  He has taken a love of something and turned it into a successful business.  Good for him.

He's hardly the first one to be successful because of a love of money, is he?

No but he certainly has gone from a point and shoot process to the most successful MS'r in the world.  I think that in and of itself differentiates what I was trying to say from your comments.

You don't seriously think he did it out of love for photography, do you? He saw a business opportunity and exploited it with unparalleled brilliance. His achievements are outstanding but they are primarily the achievements of a businessman.

Seriously, you don't think he'd do it if he hated it do you? No disrespect, Paul, but most MS contributors would give their right nut to enjoy his kind of success....and to enjoy creating the product to boot (the love of photography, yes).  The only question I would ask is, if Yuri won the LOTTERY, say 10 million bucks (USD) clear after taxes, would he keep going with his photography business?  Perhaps not and in that context you'd be correct.  But I can't speak for Yuri and maybe he would keep doing it, who knows.

No love whatsoever is radiating from his photos. He's just doing the same boring concepts over and over again. Lise Gagne (and a small fraction of other big players, but she's the biggest of all of them) on the other hand is doing what she loves, her photos show it. She shoots less lately (in the last couple of years or so), but she does shoot interesting things she enjoys, that chimpanzee businessman is brilliant (very stocky too) and then there are shoots that aren't as saleable (and I'm sure she knows it), but she shoots them anyway, because she enjoys the process of taking them. Then there are all those playful mustache photos etc. She started to really enjoy herself after becoming big, not being burdened if the new series are going to bring in a ton of money like the old did or not. It looks as though she doesn't really care about that (but also knowing at the same time her old series will still keep on bringing her lots of money) and just enjoys herself. That's love for photography! And I'd do exactly the same if I made just 10% of what she did. Yuri is just an effective emotionless robot, when it comes to taking shots. As others pointed out, he's just passionate for the money (I didn't get past this quote, so I don't know what ppl wrote after this post) and I think, also for the attention (could be even more for the latter). It's not that I don't like Yuri or anything, not only I respect his achievements, but I also think he's a nice guy, for instance if you ask him about something, even via PM, he'll reply (I doubt many ppl like him would), but I'm pretty sure there's no big love for the photography, or he'd at least make a shoot that's different, not that stocky, but more "for his soul" type of shoot, from time to time. Making 100k shots that all look the same, just doesn't show that (the same style, of course there are hundreds of concepts, all very stocky with the aim to maximize the sales, not enjoy taking those shots)

« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24 »
He won't have to worry about overheads such as paying highly qualified reviewers...... he already has staff so he can redirect a few of them into marketing and site maintenance. The bigger question is: will he undercut the others to gain new business?  Will that drive prices down?

have you seen his website? his pricing is 2x the regular exclusive file or a photo+ at iStock

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2012, 06:33 »
He won't have to worry about overheads such as paying highly qualified reviewers...... he already has staff so he can redirect a few of them into marketing and site maintenance. The bigger question is: will he undercut the others to gain new business?  Will that drive prices down?

have you seen his website? his pricing is 2x the regular exclusive file or a photo+ at iStock

That is very surprising. I wonder if he's timed all his files to be removed from all his other sites today; otherwise maybe not as great a move as it looks.

« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2012, 07:14 »
Is Yuri going exclusive with his own site.   Is he pulling all his work from all the undervaluing agencies.  This will tell if he believes in this move or not. 

« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31 »
First of .... Congratulations to Yuri. The site looks and works amazingly well. Like the usual stuff he does.

Do you guys honestly think he is going to pull his port on other sites??? honestly????? why would he do something as dumb as that, not a chance. No the agencies will not through him out, no he won't pull his port, no this will not turn the industry upside down. It's just an amazing own portal to sell HIS OWN images (and images from other photographers that work for him), full stop.

This is simply an extra outlet for him, and he will try and grab as many customers direct as he can. Maybe if in a few years he is really outselling some agencies and after a lot of negotiation to bump his commissions up with lack of success, then he has an ace under his sleeve and won't care to leave the agency if they don't. That would be my strategy although I doubt it he can compete with millions of different looking images already at the agencies.

In fact my own website is also on the works, although I will have a slightly different approach to it. I won't invest 700k USD on it of course but enough to make it look good, professional with all the toys that are necessary to have a positive impact on buyers.

wut

« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2012, 07:32 »
Is Yuri going exclusive with his own site.   Is he pulling all his work from all the undervaluing agencies.  This will tell if he believes in this move or not. 

It doesn't make any sense otherwise, especially not spending over 3 mil $...

« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2012, 07:33 »

Yes, it's something big "for him".  But the more power to him, nonetheless.  He has taken a love of something and turned it into a successful business.  Good for him.

No but he certainly has gone from a point and shoot process to the most successful MS'r in the world.  I think that in and of itself differentiates what I was trying to say from your comments.

You don't seriously think he did it out of love for photography, do you? He saw a business opportunity and exploited it with unparalleled brilliance. His achievements are outstanding but they are primarily the achievements of a businessman.

Seriously, you don't think he'd do it if he hated it do you? No disrespect, Paul, but most MS contributors would give their right nut to enjoy his kind of success....and to enjoy creating the product to boot (the love of photography, yes).  The only question I would ask is, if Yuri won the LOTTERY, say 10 million bucks (USD) clear after taxes, would he keep going with his photography business?  Perhaps not and in that context you'd be correct.  But I can't speak for Yuri and maybe he would keep doing it, who knows.

No love whatsoever is radiating from his photos. He's just doing the same boring concepts over and over again. Lise Gagne (and a small fraction of other big players, but she's the biggest of all of them) on the other hand is doing what she loves, her photos show it. She shoots less lately (in the last couple of years or so), but she does shoot interesting things she enjoys, that chimpanzee businessman is brilliant (very stocky too) and then there are shoots that aren't as saleable (and I'm sure she knows it), but she shoots them anyway, because she enjoys the process of taking them. Then there are all those playful mustache photos etc. She started to really enjoy herself after becoming big, not being burdened if the new series are going to bring in a ton of money like the old did or not. It looks as though she doesn't really care about that (but also knowing at the same time her old series will still keep on bringing her lots of money) and just enjoys herself. That's love for photography! And I'd do exactly the same if I made just 10% of what she did. Yuri is just an effective emotionless robot, when it comes to taking shots. As others pointed out, he's just passionate for the money (I didn't get past this quote, so I don't know what ppl wrote after this post) and I think, also for the attention (could be even more for the latter). It's not that I don't like Yuri or anything, not only I respect his achievements, but I also think he's a nice guy, for instance if you ask him about something, even via PM, he'll reply (I doubt many ppl like him would), but I'm pretty sure there's no big love for the photography, or he'd at least make a shoot that's different, not that stocky, but more "for his soul" type of shoot, from time to time. Making 100k shots that all look the same, just doesn't show that (the same style, of course there are hundreds of concepts, all very stocky with the aim to maximize the sales, not enjoy taking those shots)

Ah, OK - I wonder if you think whether I love photography. Its interesting to see how some people seem to know just about everything.

wut

« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2012, 07:36 »
after a lot of negotiation to bump his commissions up with lack of success, then he has an ace under his sleeve and won't care to leave the agency if they don't. That would be my strategy although I doubt it he can compete with millions of different looking images already at the agencies.

Why would any agency give into his demands, there are dozens of togs producing images that look (almost) exactly the same as his. He just doesn't offer anything different, much less a niche.

wut

« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43 »

Ah, OK - I wonder if you think whether I love photography. Its interesting to see how some people seem to know just about everything.

Just an opinion, perhaps you could add something meaningful to this discussion ;)

« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43 »

Yuri sells XS with 1 credit, on iStock XS is 1 credit.

« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29 »
First of .... Congratulations to Yuri. The site looks and works amazingly well. Like the usual stuff he does.

Do you guys honestly think he is going to pull his port on other sites??? honestly????? why would he do something as dumb as that, not a chance. No the agencies will not through him out, no he won't pull his port, no this will not turn the industry upside down. It's just an amazing own portal to sell HIS OWN images (and images from other photographers that work for him), full stop.

This is simply an extra outlet for him, and he will try and grab as many customers direct as he can. Maybe if in a few years he is really outselling some agencies and after a lot of negotiation to bump his commissions up with lack of success, then he has an ace under his sleeve and won't care to leave the agency if they don't. That would be my strategy although I doubt it he can compete with millions of different looking images already at the agencies.

In fact my own website is also on the works, although I will have a slightly different approach to it. I won't invest 700k USD on it of course but enough to make it look good, professional with all the toys that are necessary to have a positive impact on buyers.

Investing 600K usd is not simple.  How does monkeybusinessimages sales compare to Yuri.  Pretty close.  They pulled down their "direct compete site" and promoted the four majors after they stopped selling their stuff and other non-exclusives on a their own site.  Unless you pull your images off cheaper alternatives with better infrastructure/legal/branding/etc.  It will be hard if not impossible to get traction.  I also don't think a big two year announcement would be simple direct sales in addition to you wares on every cheap site around. 

« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32 »

Why would any agency give into his demands, there are dozens of togs producing images that look (almost) exactly the same as his. He just doesn't offer anything different, much less a niche.

Because they usually do. They're in the habit of doing it and they have convinced themselves that he is vital to their success.

Andres is right. It would be insane for Yuri to pull out of the micros (and he certainly isn't insane). The new site is a sideline at this stage and one that has yet to prove itself.

« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37 »

Just an opinion, perhaps you could add something meaningful to this discussion ;)

I could - and I did.

« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2012, 10:12 »
The trick is having tens of thousands of images, a huge reputation and outstanding marketing skills so your site perceived as offering a significant alternative to purchasing through an agency. It's not quite the same as you or me selling directly and pulling in a few dozen dollars a year.

Obviously, he is doing it on a larger scale, but he has to. When you open your own site, you have to compete (or at least compare) with your sales power on other sites. What will it take to earn the same as you earn on DT, SS, IS, etc? For him to equal his numbers on other agencies, I would assume that is a pretty high bar. Much more than the average contributor that can do that with a handful of sales a month at 100% royalties.

It seems like a big challenge, but I wouldn't bet against him.

« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2012, 10:47 »
I must say, the more I look at this new site, the more impressed I am. For a new site, the attention to detail and the level of finish is remarkable.

lisafx

« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2012, 12:39 »
Lise Gagne (and a small fraction of other big players, but she's the biggest of all of them) on the other hand is doing what she loves, her photos show it. She shoots less lately (in the last couple of years or so), but she does shoot interesting things she enjoys, that chimpanzee businessman is brilliant (very stocky too) and then there are shoots that aren't as saleable (and I'm sure she knows it), but she shoots them anyway, because she enjoys the process of taking them. Then there are all those playful mustache photos etc. She started to really enjoy herself after becoming big, not being burdened if the new series are going to bring in a ton of money like the old did or not. It looks as though she doesn't really care about that (but also knowing at the same time her old series will still keep on bringing her lots of money) and just enjoys herself. That's love for photography! And I'd do exactly the same if I made just 10% of what she did.

You know, this is really very astute.  I don't follow Lise's port, so I didn't know what she'd been up to lately, but it's good to know she's finding a way to stay creative and enjoy what she's doing. 

I was having almost this exact conversation with my husband the other night.  I was (of course) complaining about how lousy sales were in April, and how demoralizing it is to see the downward trends in sales and earnings.  The directions all the major sites seem to be going in do not inspire optimism. 

My husband's response was - "So just shoot what you enjoy, that way it doesn't matter as much if you make the money.  At least you'll be having fun".  Brilliant!  This is exactly what you are describing that Lise has been doing. 

Seems like if the industry continues in its current direction, those of us who are not factories will be well advised to go back to shooting what we enjoy, or else get out altogether. 

« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2012, 14:10 »

Yuri sells XS with 1 credit, on iStock XS is 1 credit.

sorry not following you.. thats the only price that matches.. all other are way up.. check yourself before talking..

actually IS bumped prices again lol 4 for a XS regular collection for exclusives..

Yuri

XSmall 1
Small 4
Medium 8
Large 13
XLarge 18
XXLarge 25
XXXLarge 35
Full Size 70

new IS for exclusives regular collection
XSmall 4
Small 6
Medium 10
Large 15
XLarge 20
XXLarge 25
XXXLarge (Full Size) 28
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 14:20 by luissantos84 »

« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2012, 14:30 »
The trick is having tens of thousands of images, a huge reputation and outstanding marketing skills so your site perceived as offering a significant alternative to purchasing through an agency. It's not quite the same as you or me selling directly and pulling in a few dozen dollars a year.

Obviously, he is doing it on a larger scale, but he has to. When you open your own site, you have to compete (or at least compare) with your sales power on other sites. What will it take to earn the same as you earn on DT, SS, IS, etc? For him to equal his numbers on other agencies, I would assume that is a pretty high bar. Much more than the average contributor that can do that with a handful of sales a month at 100% royalties.

It seems like a big challenge, but I wouldn't bet against him.

I'm certain that he isn't looking to replace the micro sales. Look at the sums. Say he gets $500,000 from istock a year. If he shifts 20% of those sales from them to him - lets say at the same price, I haven't checked his pricings - then he loses $100,000 from iStock but gets $250,000 from direct sales. Profit: $150,000, and he is still getting big money from the agency. It makes perfect sense.

What would be crazy would be to dump iStock  at a loss of $500,000 and then pick up 30% of those sales on his own site, while the rest go to iStock rivals (because punters have got their iStock accounts and won't abandon them for him). Loss $500,000, gain $375,000, net loss $125,000.

PS: We're not allowed to bet against him .... or for him. It's a private game, all bets are off.

« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2012, 14:31 »
Lise Gagne (and a small fraction of other big players, but she's the biggest of all of them) on the other hand is doing what she loves, her photos show it. She shoots less lately (in the last couple of years or so), but she does shoot interesting things she enjoys, that chimpanzee businessman is brilliant (very stocky too) and then there are shoots that aren't as saleable (and I'm sure she knows it), but she shoots them anyway, because she enjoys the process of taking them. Then there are all those playful mustache photos etc. She started to really enjoy herself after becoming big, not being burdened if the new series are going to bring in a ton of money like the old did or not. It looks as though she doesn't really care about that (but also knowing at the same time her old series will still keep on bringing her lots of money) and just enjoys herself. That's love for photography! And I'd do exactly the same if I made just 10% of what she did.

You know, this is really very astute.  I don't follow Lise's port, so I didn't know what she'd been up to lately, but it's good to know she's finding a way to stay creative and enjoy what she's doing. 

I was having almost this exact conversation with my husband the other night.  I was (of course) complaining about how lousy sales were in April, and how demoralizing it is to see the downward trends in sales and earnings.  The directions all the major sites seem to be going in do not inspire optimism. 

My husband's response was - "So just shoot what you enjoy, that way it doesn't matter as much if you make the money.  At least you'll be having fun".  Brilliant!  This is exactly what you are describing that Lise has been doing. 

Seems like if the industry continues in its current direction, those of us who are not factories will be well advised to go back to shooting what we enjoy, or else get out altogether. 

I was never a Yuri fan but that is very unfair IMO.. I am sure Yuri loves photography, everybody keep on saying that stock aint art so I dont understand why people keep on saying Yuri is a factory or this or that.. how cannot he not love photography? sure the money makes us happy too but we cannot say that doing stock or only photographing our life aint an amazing thing, I have a blast every time I pick up my camera, certainly it is the coolest thing on earth, that and sushi ;D

actually I dont know a person that dont love photography, only women on the first second but after a few shoots they are all in love ;D (a few you look gorgeous help too)

« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2012, 14:44 »
actually I dont know a person that dont love photography

I don't love it. It's alright.  :P

wut

« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2012, 14:52 »

Great! I'm glad I confirmed your husband's opinion. If you do it as well, ppl will probably start using the expression are you going to go (or have you gone) Lise/a too? :) (meaning are you going to start shooting what you like, not what sells).

I have have to shoot what sells (better said try to do it), to get to the point that I can rely with 100% certainty it'll be enough from month to month to live off, but still, I have to shoot what I like and really enjoy from time to time. I would have gone completely mental otherwise :)

« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2012, 14:56 »

me too if I am not behind it ;D

Microbius

« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2012, 00:35 »

meh