pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Court Ruling on Pirate Bay  (Read 4922 times)

rubyroo

« on: April 30, 2012, 09:34 »

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:53 »
In the case of many photographs, microstock offers what's needed, long term - a reasonably priced way to purchase legitimate licenses. The music, movie and possibly other businesses are not being smart and focus only on idiot moves on what you can license when (I can't rent this movie now because they've done a deal to show it on airplanes this month; you can't license that album in the US, only in Germany - both have recently happened to me. I don't pirate things, but was tempted!). Branson is right that the long term solution to piracy is offering better ways to buy.

Microbius

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:59 »
Better ways to buy plus enforcement of copyright law. Just better ways to buy will never beat free.

wut

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19 »
I really can't understand why so many ppl get hard ons every time PB is threatened (there were so many threads about it here). It's got nothing to do with MS.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31 »
Branson is right that the long term solution to piracy is offering better ways to buy.

This really is the only solution.  Steve Jobs proved it with iTunes. 

There will always be privacy.  Copyright law enforcement should be enforced, but it's like the lock on your front door.  It keeps honest people honest, but people who want to break in and steal from you can still easily do so.

michealo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:46 »
Forcing your customers who have paid for your product to watch anti-piracy messages than one can't skip through always struck me as particularly dumb.

it should be at most a brief thank you

Microbius

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50 »
Branson is right that the long term solution to piracy is offering better ways to buy.

There will always be privacy.  Copyright law enforcement should be enforced, but it's like the lock on your front door.  It keeps honest people honest, but people who want to break in and steal from you can still easily do so.
I broadly agree with this. People that can be bothered to get round safeguards can do so, but there still has to be some enforcement to make it clear that the behavior is frowned upon. Same as shoplifting, easy to get away with and you can reason your way into thinking there are no victims, but the fact that it is against the law and you will be arrested if you are stupid about it lets people know that society still considers it wrong.

On another note, the intelligence of most of the commentators on that story is depressing to say the least.

Microbius

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51 »
Forcing your customers who have paid for your product to watch anti-piracy messages than one can't skip through always struck me as particularly dumb.

it should be at most a brief thank you
Yes, massive pain the a** and pointless

rubyroo

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:05 »
I really can't understand why so many ppl get hard ons every time PB is threatened (there were so many threads about it here). It's got nothing to do with MS.

I don't have a 'hard on' as you so eloquently put it.

It's about piracy and copyright.  I feel any legal progress in these matters is of interest because it may have implications for our work in the future.  As for it not being directly to do with MS... that's why I put it in the off-topic section. 

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27 »
Pretty hard to convince the rest of the world that stealing images is wrong when even microstock artists are admitting they do it themselves... http://www.microstockgroup.com/newby-discussion/i%27m-new-15852/msg251189

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 13:54 »

It's about piracy and copyright.  I feel any legal progress in these matters is of interest because it may have implications for our work in the future.  As for it not being directly to do with MS... that's why I put it in the off-topic section. 
Absolutely right. There is a international movement intent upon destroying IP rights, especially copyright. It is large, well-funded, and backed by corporations small and huge (hiding behind Safe Harbor) which make billions in profits by disseminating content which they did not create or license. If that movement wins, and it may, we won't get paid anymore.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 14:17 »

Yes, but people who breaks, if caugth, got prosecuted and probably, to jail.

Microbius

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 02:00 »

Absolutely right. There is a international movement intent upon destroying IP rights, especially copyright. It is large, well-funded, and backed by corporations small and huge (hiding behind Safe Harbor) which make billions in profits by disseminating content which they did not create or license. If that movement wins, and it may, we won't get paid anymore.
Don't forget the nations that also back it like China, Russia and Iran. A lot of it is about international competition. The West foolishly has done away with most of its manufacturing industry and makes a lot of its money through intangibles, the countries competing with it politically and economically are keen to see its advantage wane.