MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Istock exclusive price rise again  (Read 24533 times)

« on: May 02, 2012, 07:59 »
please take a look to this buyers post

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=343279&page=1

in the last 6 month the price was changed at least 3 times

helix7

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47 »

This is just plain stupid. What's the strategy here? Buyers are leaving, so sales drop, so they raise prices to compensate, so more buyers leave, so sales continue to drop, so they raise prices again, so more buyers leave...

How do they not see this as a losing strategy long-term?

michealo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:56 »
+1

Imminent sale, maximise price by short term decisions like this.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11 »

Imminent sale, maximise price by short term decisions like this.

I shouldn't think so, H+F appear to have plunged the company so deeply in debt to repay themselves all that they paid when they bought it that it is probably unsellable. I guess  if it goes bust it's no big disaster because they've already recouped their cash  and presumably the profits all have to go to paying back the banks but if they can squeeze a bit more out of it and into their coffers, that's good.

Microbius

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28 »
It's okay, Getty will buy SS soon as it floats and have that as their micro site, IStock will be their midstock offering for exclusives only. Watch the skies.

wut

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:38 »
It's okay, Getty will buy SS soon as it floats and have that as their micro site, IStock will be their midstock offering for exclusives only. Watch the skies.

When that happens any sensible person, that doesn't own a factory or does MS just to amuse himself, will pull out of the business

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:38 »

could be an interesting future.....but it's impossible

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:31 »

Unlikely. SS is getting ready for an IPO: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/01/us-shutterstock-ipo-idUSBRE8400PC20120501

Ed

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:57 »
Amazing.  This is the only industry I know where the suppliers bitch about raising prices so they can't make more money.

Let the buyers that are too cheap to spend money on quality images leave...it's not the first time, and won't be the last, that a company has fired it's own customers in order to become more profitable.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:27 »
Well with the latest price rise, I just got an E+ XS sale for $5.60 and a S for $10.60. Are these prices still considered micro?

lisafx

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:29 »
+1
Amazing.  This is the only industry I know where the suppliers bitch about raising prices so they can't make more money.

Let the buyers that are too cheap to spend money on quality images leave...it's not the first time, and won't be the last, that a company has fired it's own customers in order to become more profitable.

Well, the buyers do leave.  In droves.  I think that's the problem.  

Not to mention 1) the price rises are often offset by cuts to commissions, so no net gain for contributors, and 2) when disgruntled customers buy less, volume goes down and also offsets the higher prices.  

Ultimately, these higher prices don't make most of us more money, they make us less.  Hence all the bitching.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45 »
My sales are so low just now that I can't help wondering if this price rise has sparked a major buyer revolt. Final straw, camel's back stuff. The exclusives seem to feel that we have grabbed all their sales, which I certainly haven't, so what has happened to all the buyers?

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51 »
... Let the buyers that are too cheap to spend money on quality images leave...

But that's the problem - huge swaths of the iStock collection aren't anything special and the price increase is across the board.

I think E+ is now as expensive as Vetta was when it started out. Vetta (before they forced the prices up) was an idea with some sane basis - a curated collection with some criteria for selection at a higher price. The way they introduced it, putting in existing images, thus jacking the price up overnight, wasn't handled well, so buyers got frustrated. The absence of a price slider (and the crappy implementation when they did do one) didn't help, but ignoring those hiccups, the idea of you pay more to get more/better/different was something that buyers could grasp.

With the Getty dreck that got dumped in at high prices (lots of the Agency stuff and EdStock, for example) and absolutely no criteria for E+ other than that the seller felt like it, the connection between price and quality was just so unclear as to be lost.

Buyers who are frustrated with frequent unexplained price increases can leave too - even with a higher budget, if you keep forgetting to respect the buyer's need to plan expenses, they'll get frustrated and go elsewhere. If they can't find quality stuff elsewhere, you may find them stick with you, but that's your gamble. Are you enough better than everyone else to behave horribly and still keep the customers coming?

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:53 »
My sales are so low just now that I can't help wondering if this price rise has sparked a major buyer revolt. Final straw, camel's back stuff. The exclusives seem to feel that we have grabbed all their sales, which I certainly haven't, so what has happened to all the buyers?

They're buying from me :)

Not really true, but sales have been good for me lately - not 2010 good but a ton better than the recent past and I have seen lots of my images float to the top of searches and sell (when something starts selling multiple times a day I have gone to search to see it in a great position, so I assume cause and effect).

lisafx

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55 »

+1.  Same story here.

Congrats JoAnn.  Glad someone is seeing some sales at IS.

Ed

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 13:00 »
So if the buyers leave iStock, where are they going to go?  DT where prices were just raised as well?  Shutterstock (didn't they raise prices a few months ago?).

This only has an effect on exclusives...and even they have images elsewhere (i.e. RM collections).

Let the buyers go the cheap route to someplace like Mostphotos.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 13:06 »
What I think is happening is that iStock is tweaking their mid-tier pricing model once again with the intent of determining the acceptance threshold of the buyers. In doing so they further optimize, define and mature their product offering. I would assume Getty has significant statical analysis in place to monitor sales and download trends that reflect these pricing model changes.

This time of year is their window for such research - pre summer and no major holidays.

Numbers don't lie and Getty knows this. If the results of this change reveals a drop in sales, one can assume Getty will respond accordingly.

I am NOT a fan of Getty for many reasons, but give them credit for being a shrewd business and a leader in the industry.

The concept that they are radically and carelessly squeezing profits which would jeopardize the health of the business, is not one I readily accept.

lisafx

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 13:15 »
So if the buyers leave iStock, where are they going to go?  DT where prices were just raised as well?  Shutterstock (didn't they raise prices a few months ago?).

I don't think SS has raised prices in a long time.  Haven't they been $249 for a sub for years?  And Fotolia hasn't raised prices either.  Their base price is 1 credit.  Emerald contributors can raise to a base of 2, and above that (only handful of people) can raise to 3 credits.  But even those are dropped back to a base of 1 credit after 6 months of no sales. 

Not to mention mid level sites like 123RF, Bigstock, Veer, etc. where prices are much more reasonable than Istock. 

So to sum up - there are LOTS of options for the disgruntled customers Getty are so eager to dismiss.

traveler1116

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 13:23 »

I keep wanting to complain about low sales but then I add up the numbers and it doesn't look so bad.  For example last month my RPD was $7.20 while the April before it was $4.90.

Ed

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 13:33 »

I don't think SS has raised prices in a long time.  Haven't they been $249 for a sub for years?  And Fotolia hasn't raised prices either.  Their base price is 1 credit.  Emerald contributors can raise to a base of 2, and above that (only handful of people) can raise to 3 credits.  But even those are dropped back to a base of 1 credit after 6 months of no sales. 

Not to mention mid level sites like 123RF, Bigstock, Veer, etc. where prices are much more reasonable than Istock. 

So to sum up - there are LOTS of options for the disgruntled customers Getty are so eager to dismiss.

...and that's my point.  How many of those other agencies do you contribute to?  Based on iStock upload procedures, I wouldn't be surprised if your image collection is bigger at those agencies as well (as is the case for most of us that are not exclusive).

There also has to be value involved.  These agencies need to learn that they can't compete on price alone.  That's been the problem throughout this whole economic slowdown.  Think of the price of gas - at what price point will people start driving less and at what point would it make a financial impact to the oil companies?

With relation to Fotolia...there's a reason they no longer represent my work and I really don't understand why people put up with the shell game of earnings levels constantly changing.  It's not for me.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 13:50 »

This only has an effect on exclusives...and even they have images elsewhere (i.e. RM collections).

It looks more like they want the customers to go to Thinkstock.
Who knows what they think? and they're certainly not going to let the contributors or customers know.
Maybe they're back to 'what's your idea today?' that they seemed to do last year for a while, with a lot of random, unjoined-up changes for no obvious reason and with no over-riding plan/strategy.

wut

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 13:52 »

I keep wanting to complain about low sales but then I add up the numbers and it doesn't look so bad.  For example last month my RPD was $7.20 while the April before it was $4.90.

Wow, I'd earn more if I went exclusive and get that RPD, than I do now, even if the volume of sales would go up as it should go. But then again, you're probably at 35 or even 40% level, with lots of A/V files and E+ as well that you sell in large numbers, so I wouldn't even get half of that RPD. But with sales doubling, I'd get close in bottom line numbers (surely RPD at least doubles if not triples)

Ed

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 14:16 »

It looks more like they want the customers to go to Thinkstock.
Who knows what they think? and they're certainly not going to let the contributors or customers know.
Maybe they're back to 'what's your idea today?' that they seemed to do last year for a while, with a lot of random, unjoined-up changes for no obvious reason and with no over-riding plan/strategy.

That makes sense....Thinkstock as an alternative.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 14:18 »
So if the buyers leave iStock, where are they going to go?  DT where prices were just raised as well?  Shutterstock (didn't they raise prices a few months ago?).

Let the buyers go the cheap route to someplace like Mostphotos.  ;)

I've no idea where they might have gone. But surely the issue wouldn't be whether or not there have been price rises (though I think you are wrong about shutterstock) but whether there is an endless string of price rises and what the actual price of things is now.

Certainly, if buyers are bothered enough and savvy enough to hunt out files without the little crown on iS to save their pennies, as many exclusives are suggesting, then they are savvy enough to look at the price of an SS subscription or credit package and think to themselves "that will do nicely".

If buyers don't have the wits to find a cheaper alternative, then the exclusives don't need to worry about their files being too expensive.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 14:45 by BaldricksTrousers »