MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Lightroom 4  (Read 4376 times)

« on: May 28, 2012, 11:38 »
OMG, I am such an idiot.  I have been watching tons of videos for Lightroom and finally bought a copy but I can't figure out the simplest thing!!!! How do I save a raw photo as a jpeg after I have edited it?  Of course there isn't a spec of info in the box, every time I try for Lightroom Help I I am driven to a Photoshop page or a forum.  Most manuals on Amazon are in "preorder". 

There is no "file - save as" and "export" doesn't seem to do this either.   I don't want to save in batches, because I need to put the kids name on each file in their team folder.  I shot 1500 photos this week and I refuse to open up Capture!  I did that last month and I need to learn it - it's wickedly awesome after sticking with clunky Nikon for so long.

I have to say this folders and catalogues business is new to me, but I'm sure it will make a lot of sense eventually. 

Thanks in advance!!! 

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:02 »
Lightroom doesn't save the actual image, it just saves a record of the changes you made and applies them at export.  When you export to whatever folder you chose to store your exports you can export as a .jpg in whatever size you want, ie: full res or reduced for web posting.  It's non-destructive editing so you can always return to the original raw image and edit again with different settings, you can make a copy of your initial edits and convert from there, etc.  About half way down the export dialog box is the option to choose .jpg or a few other file formats when exporting.  Your original raw image will stay intact, LR will retain the changes you made to the raw image for future work and your export will be a new copy in the new file format.

ETA, here's a link to Adobe tutorials http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshoplightroom/gettingstarted/
If you're a NAPP member or subscribe to Kelby Training you can find tutorials on those sites too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:05 by klsbear »

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 13:08 »
Tried it and it worked!  Thanks for taking the time to help klsbear.  I guess I just have to not be a dinosaur and wrap my head around a new way of doing things and handling files. 

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 15:06 »

ox

RacePhoto

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:21 »
Yes it's odd but when you develop in Lightroom, you can go back and alter anything you did and the master image is never changed. Kind of nice when you think about it? Instead of multiple edits and versions, you have the master and the Exports.

Sometimes I wonder if there could be a use for a forum just about things like this. Producing and processing stock photos?

I know there are great sites for PS and I'm sure there are LR forums, (gimp, irfanview... long list) and of course The Strobist and others. But what about one just for "Stock Photos" making and editing?

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 13:00 »
Yes it's odd but when you develop in Lightroom, you can go back and alter anything you did and the master image is never changed. Kind of nice when you think about it? Instead of multiple edits and versions, you have the master and the Exports.

Sometimes I wonder if there could be a use for a forum just about things like this. Producing and processing stock photos?

I know there are great sites for PS and I'm sure there are LR forums, (gimp, irfanview... long list) and of course The Strobist and others. But what about one just for "Stock Photos" making and editing?

That'd be VERY useful!