pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Selling on Deviantart? What do you think?  (Read 5526 times)

« on: July 29, 2012, 07:04 »
http://heidi.deviantart.com/journal/Premium-Content-Platform-313614186#eligibility
DA should've started this a long time ago..
anyways, the only down side I see is their points system
So what do you think?

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 15:43 »
I notice they pay 80% to the contributor.  Could be interesting.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 16:11 »
It seems like an interesting open platform. Hopefully, the launch goes well.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 16:14 »
I had another thought... Didn't they have a partnership with Fotolia at one time? Did that get killed?

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 16:44 »
I had another thought... Didn't they have a partnership with Fotolia at one time? Did that get killed?

They announced this project in 2010 http://www.fastmediamagazine.com/blog/2010/10/17/deviant-art-and-fotolia-collaborate/
But the only result that I know of is Deviant portfolio at FT: http://www.fotolia.com/p/202869477

digitalexpressionimages

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:27 »
I wonder what kind of buyers deviantart is going to attract. It's spent the last decade or so establishing itself as a social community for art wannabe's and I'd say 95% of the content is from angst ridden teenagers.

Plus, aside from a rating system, there is no quality control. If you bought an image that looked good at the preview size but had so much noise at full size it looked like it was taken in rainbow blizzard and your only recourse was to rate the seller a 1 out of 5 and ask for a refund, would you ever go back?

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:32 »
I wonder what kind of buyers deviantart is going to attract. It's spent the last decade or so establishing itself as a social community for art wannabe's and I'd say 95% of the content is from angst ridden teenagers.

Plus, aside from a rating system, there is no quality control. If you bought an image that looked good at the preview size but had so much noise at full size it looked like it was taken in rainbow blizzard and your only recourse was to rate the seller a 1 out of 5 and ask for a refund, would you ever go back?

My nephew posted some of his artwork there when he was an angst ridden teenager in high school, and it also appeared that stealing was encouraged. Kids were desperate for recognition and praise and wanted others to take and use their art. I would be worried about that about DA. Unless they can re-brand themselves.

digitalexpressionimages

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:48 »
You'd also have t

My nephew posted some of his artwork there when he was an angst ridden teenager in high school, and it also appeared that stealing was encouraged. Kids were desperate for recognition and praise and wanted others to take and use their art. I would be worried about that about DA. Unless they can re-brand themselves.

Good point. As a buyer, you'd also have to worry about copyright violations. There's another thread on MSG right now about a guy who had his DT account deleted because he took other people's photos and traced them. Well, he'd fit right in at deviantart.

We'll see what happens but they're going to have a tough time establishing themselves as a place to buy quality images.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:28 »
They announced this project in 2010 http://www.fastmediamagazine.com/blog/2010/10/17/deviant-art-and-fotolia-collaborate/
But the only result that I know of is Deviant portfolio at FT: http://www.fotolia.com/p/202869477

Thanks.

That is a concern. I guess I was thinking that from the description that it would be more like buying direct from an artist than an agency, so it would be more about the reputation of certain artists.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:47 »
Other than the commission percentage, the only really important thing to me is: What licenses are they selling?

The only information I can find about that is: "When making a download available for sale, sellers can use a standard Personal Use/Personal Non-Commercial Use License Agreement. Alternatively, sellers can insert a Custom License Agreement. These options are explained at the time the seller makes the content available for sale."

Is there anywhere in the site where I can find out what kind of licenses they are going to sell in these "Custom License Agreements"?  :-\