pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: New to Shutterstock - do sales taper off with age?  (Read 5437 times)

« on: May 10, 2012, 12:07 »
Hi All,

I'm only in my second month as a Shutterstock contributor, with just over 100 files on-line at this point.   I'm fairly impressed with the rapid pace of sales so far.  If that could be extrapolated to a larger portfolio, it would make my income per photo at SS more than double what it is at iStock, where I have been contributing for a few years, and have a large portfolio.   That seems out of keeping with the 100/67 ratio shown in the poll at the side here.   

I'm curious, however.   Is there something that streams newly accepted photos to customers, so that the download rate is more rapid when they are new? 

Oddly, some photos that are among my most popular at iStock have hardly sold at SS, whereas a couple that haven't sold at iStock are among my most popular at SS.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:23 »
Dunno each site is different and has different customer bases.  I have files that I made as my initial 10 that still get downloaded either once a week or ever so often.  Sales on new images there haven't really been at the same level they used to be about a year or so ago.  Older files keep winning out over new content and it's debatable whether it's something SS did to the search or the customers not wanting to get new content or a combination of both.  The only ones that know for sure is SS and they're not telling us anything.  My new stuff doesn't usually take off until they've been in my port for about 2 weeks or more that is if they haven't disappeared from the server or aren't searchable by your keywords.  The ongoing bugs certainly haven't helped with new image sales.

Just keep adding to your port the buyers will find you.

wut

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:34 »
My ratio is usually almost exactly the same as the one on the right. Give it some time, it's different for everybody, but I've never heard anyone selling more at IS than at SS.

RT

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:57 »
..... but I've never heard anyone selling more at IS than at SS.

I sell more at SS but make more money at iS.

rubyroo

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 14:13 »
Some taper off, some stick like glue (thankfully).

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 14:43 »
Well I'm 52 and I sell more images now than when I was much younger so no __ age is not a factor.

rubyroo

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 14:49 »
 :D

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 14:55 »
... but I've never heard anyone selling more at IS than at SS.

More downloads, never. More money, often - the last two months, IS outsold SS by quite a bit for me. Two months before that the other way around

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 23:09 »
Well I'm 52 and I sell more images now than when I was much younger so no __ age is not a factor.
Lolzz

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 00:58 »
Lolzz

lolzz + 1 :D

Wim

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34 »

More downloads, never. More money, often - the last two months, IS outsold SS by quite a bit for me. Two months before that the other way around

Nice to read, IS is far from dead then. I believe there are still plenty of exclusives making a good income from IS no?
I never had issues with reviews or sales from them and they are still my second best earner but a slow one compared to SS I might add.
Just like with 123RF favs the Photo+ is a good system to bump sales or get the extra exposure.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:37 »

Bwaahhhahahahahahahahaah  Good One!!

To the OP, older files may taper off depending on their current search algorithm.  The sites are always tweaking them to do something new, which may or may not affect older images.  Awhile back your new uploads on SS used to get a HUGE boost and if you uploaded all the time in large volumes you were golden.  That doesn't happen anymore.  It all just depends on the current search logic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:41 by Mantis »

wut

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:46 »

I meant earnings of course. Wow, really? Like they say, it's a first time for everything. What's the ratio between them? Is IS your top earner then?

wut

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49 »

But what are the trends like during a longer period of time? Besides, you being exclusive up until a year ago (or so), might still help you regarding the search positions of your files, don't you think?

RT

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:01 »

I meant earnings of course. Wow, really? Like they say, it's a first time for everything. What's the ratio between them? Is IS your top earner then?

So did I. And I'm surprised you're surprised, up until about 18 months ago or whenever it was iStock photo decided to self implode most of the top contributors made more on iS and it was the top of the polls over there ------> for years, and as far as I'm aware SS was never in 2nd place either, Fotolia used to be peoples second biggest earner.

Tis' the beauty of being an independent though, no matter which site makes the f* up we still get the sales somewhere ;-) And FYI none of the microstock sites is my top earner, and the ways things are going I doubt they ever will be which is a switch round from what I'd have said if you asked me two years ago.

wut

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 11:07 »

So did I. And I'm surprised you're surprised, up until about 18 months ago or whenever it was iStock photo decided to self implode most of the top contributors made more on iS and it was the top of the polls over there ------> for years, and as far as I'm aware SS was never in 2nd place either, Fotolia used to be peoples second biggest earner.

Tis' the beauty of being an independent though, no matter which site makes the f* up we still get the sales somewhere ;-) And FYI none of the microstock sites is my top earner, and the ways things are going I doubt they ever will be which is a switch round from what I'd have said if you asked me two years ago.

Yup, I've only been here for half a year. And I'm only just over 2 years in this game, it's been like this for me from the start, IS was almost every month at 2/3 of SS sales.

Yes, it's beautiful. It looks like you're living large if MS, with those crazy speedometers is not your main source of income. Hat off to you mate!

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 19:20 »
My ratio is usually almost exactly the same as the one on the right. Give it some time, it's different for everybody, but I've never heard anyone selling more at IS than at SS.
I'm the one getting 50% more $ at IS than SS.(port size same).
 Number of sold files is same but RPI is much higher at IS.

wut

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 04:28 »
I'm the one getting 50% more $ at IS than SS.(port size same).
 Number of sold files is same but RPI is much higher at IS.

Then I don't understand why don't you become exclusive. Or anybody else. Your sales would double because of better search position, then there's higher royalty rates, higher prices and higher priced royalties. You're easily quadrupling your earnings there, especially if your P+ files are selling well and if you have some A/V material.

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 05:25 »
In my experience, my newly uploaded images always sell better than my older files. Both on Shutterstock and on iStock. :-)

wut

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 07:30 »
In my experience, my newly uploaded images always sell better than my older files. Both on Shutterstock and on iStock. :-)

It happened to me to at IS this week, but it does happen rarely otherwise. At SS sales usually also tend to pick up after 2-3 weeks

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 08:11 »
its often said that you get an initial boost of visibility when you first sign up with shutterstock.
2-3 months.

It can be because its the same parameter for newness in the search engine.