MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: A call to arms - Support StockFresh  (Read 40323 times)

helix7

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 11:13 »
Michael why dont you have all your port up there?  ::)

I have what matters. I'm not going to upload the junk from 5 years ago that doesn't sell anywhere.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21 »
Michael why dont you have all your port up there?  ::)

I have what matters. I'm not going to upload the junk from 5 years ago that doesn't sell anywhere.

sure, I believe I don't need to teach the lesson to a priest, my bad (thats a portuguese expression)

lagereek

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26 »
I wouldnt mind at all but I find the guys running SF, are not doing it the way they ran SX, their search engine, is no good at all and thats the heart of a site.

lisafx

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54 »
It's impressive that you're seeing good results at StockFresh.  I'm not; I've made a grand total of fifty cents this month, and haven't had a payout there in almost a year.  StockFresh ranks at #14 for me over the last year, behind even Crestock.  I see no sign of life to justify uploading, and doubt any promoting I could do would make any difference at all.

I'm seeing similar sales.  I think it takes me 4-6 months to get a $50 payout.  And I do upload everything.  Their upload process is easy, and I have nothing but good will toward the site and its owners, so I continue to upload there. However I am not seeing much in the way of results. 

Still, for all the reasons you mentioned, Mike, I will continue to support them and hope for the best... :)

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 13:08 »
I'd love to see them expand, but I must say leaving me hanging in the wind for over a year with my application did not engender a lot of good will.

I have sent all my recent (last 3 years) stuff, but I am still not getting many sales, usually only one or 2 a month. I do remember talk of a "marketing push" a few years ago.

It does sound like your Flikr promotion has worked, which is good for you and for them.

helix7

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 13:47 »
sure, I believe I don't need to teach the lesson to a priest, my bad (thats a portuguese expression)

What's your problem? So I didn't upload my old junk. Because I don't have 100% of my portfolio on SF I'm disqualified from encouraging anyone to upload there?

I have my complete portfolio as it stands today on SF. It's not my entire body of work, it's what my portfolio is as I consider it complete and current today. Sorry I didn't specify that I didn't mean everyone should upload every last image regardless of quality or usefulness. Figured most sensible folks would have got that though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 13:50 by helix7 »

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 14:08 »
It's impressive that you're seeing good results at StockFresh.  I'm not; I've made a grand total of fifty cents this month, and haven't had a payout there in almost a year.  StockFresh ranks at #14 for me over the last year, behind even Crestock.  I see no sign of life to justify uploading, and doubt any promoting I could do would make any difference at all.

There's an old saying, "once bitten, twice shy".  While I agree with your comments, I suppose I will keep uploading there, although it ain't high on my list of upload priorities.  But while I will sit back and let FTP do its work I really have very little confidence that SF will go anywhere, kinds like Mystock and Vivozoom....remember them?

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 14:39 »

What's your problem? So I didn't upload my old junk. Because I don't have 100% of my portfolio on SF I'm disqualified from encouraging anyone to upload there?

I have my complete portfolio as it stands today on SF. It's not my entire body of work, it's what my portfolio is as I consider it complete and current today. Sorry I didn't specify that I didn't mean everyone should upload every last image regardless of quality or usefulness. Figured most sensible folks would have got that though.

JEEZ man, read again, I said MY BAD and that I am sure that you are doing the right thing, peace!

helix7

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 15:05 »
JEEZ man, read again, I said MY BAD and that I am sure that you are doing the right thing, peace!

Sorry, didn't get that. Think I misread the whole priest thing. My apologies.

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 17:11 »
helix7, I hear what you're saying, but at this point the problem is "donor fatigue".   

I put my (small) portfolio on CC and GL because - initially at least - they offered reasonable commissions.   After a couple of years, I never sell anything on CC, and get a very occasional sale at GL.  The only way I'd submit to another "promising new site" wold be if it took absolutely no work in addition to uploading. 

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 17:11 »
I upload all I can to SF but the sales aren't very encouraging.  I'm patient but unfortunately, I'm not typical and too many people give up on small sites.  There are other sites that I think are also worth supporting.  GLStockImages and YayMicro also have decent commissions and reasonable prices for buyers.  Should we push all 3 sites?  I think they all deserve as much contributor backing as possible.

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 17:14 »
I upload all I can to SF but the sales aren't very encouraging.  I'm patient but unfortunately, I'm not typical and too many people give up on small sites.  There are other sites that I think are also worth supporting.  GLStockImages and YayMicro also have decent commissions and reasonable prices for buyers.  Should we push all 3 sites?  I think they all deserve as much contributor backing as possible.

+1

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 17:28 »
Some people were excited about PD for a while, and I started submtting there, but it went nowhere.   Their prices and commissions are just too low, so I'm wondering why I bothered, and thinking I'll close that account.

When I make that rare sale at GL, I get $3, and at least I don't feel like a complete chump for participating.  

It seems like none of the "new" sites have gained any real traction against the big agencies, which only continue to drive commissions down.  Some new model has to emerge - not just another me-too site. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 17:33 by stockastic »

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 17:39 »
Some people were excited about PD for a while, and I started submtting there, but it went nowhere.   Their prices and commissions are just too low, so I'm wondering why I bothered, and thinking I'll close that account.

When I make that rare sale at GL, I get $3, and at least I don't feel like a complete chump for participating.  

It seems like none of the "new" sites have gained any real traction against the big agencies, which only continue to drive commissions down.  Some new model has to emerge - not just another me-too site. 

again thats your experience, you can generalize it that way, sure they wont rock the world but why not supporting them? if they arent working and you have no patience, just quit simple as that

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 17:47 »
So why aren't we all uploading everything we've got and screaming at people to buy there?

Probably because everyone figures they'll just get screwed by them eventually too?

True.  Microstock contributor = cynic.

lisafx

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 17:55 »

True.  Microstock contributor = cynic.

You're right, and it's really too bad it's come to this.  A few years ago, this forum and others were filled with optimism.  I didn't start out as a cynic, and I'll bet most of us didn't.  It's the actions of the agencies and the trends over the past couple of years that have made cynics out of so many of us. 

helix7

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 18:40 »
You're right, and it's really too bad it's come to this.  A few years ago, this forum and others were filled with optimism.  I didn't start out as a cynic, and I'll bet most of us didn't.  It's the actions of the agencies and the trends over the past couple of years that have made cynics out of so many of us.

I don't believe that. We make our own way in this business, just like anything else. I'm as optimistic as ever. Coming off 2 BMEs in the last 3 months. There's still a lot of potential here and a lot to be optimistic about. And I'm not just saying that as a vector guy. Some photographers are saying the same.

Since it seems I'm on a roll with unpopular opinions lately, might as well go for broke...

Sure some of the agencies suck these days. So what. Who cares. They'll come and go, and somehow lots of folks will continue to manage to do well and make a good living here. The buyers will always be there, and they'll always need images. In the end, all that matters is what we do. Despite whatever odds we think are stacked up against us in this business, somehow lots of folks manage to increase their income year after year, regardless of what the agencies do. In short, we've got no one to blame but ourselves if things aren't going well for us individually.

I see StockFresh as an opportunity to shift some of the business away from the bad agencies and into a good one that pays well. And one that doesn't have investors to answer to. It amazes me that there's so much support and enthusiasm for DepositPhotos, a company that owes a ton to investors and will eventually need to answer to them, while SF has no such burden, pays better, is truly independent, and somehow meets with more resistance.

None of this is directed at you specifically, Lisa. Just ranting in general.

Obviously I'm in the vast minority here with my optimism and support for SF. And it's a shame really. SF could likely fall apart with such lackluster contributor/community support, and they're one of the few good companies left that I think could really change things for the better, for all of us.

You're right Lisa, there is definitely a negative trend going on here. But I don't think it originated with the agencies. It originated in this forum, and it's perpetuated by this collective desire for things to always be bad and to shun any chance for something good to thrive. Thankfully it's a trend that I don't have to be a part of.

Best of luck to you all.

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 18:47 »
I loved StockXpert. Too bad its owners sold it out to the dark side. As for Stockfresh, let it go the way of Lucky Oliver. That's the fate it deserves.

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 21:22 »
helix7, I agree with you up to a point.  But success isn't totally up to us, because we're not operating in a free, healthy marketplace. Instead we have a small number of middlemen who completely control the situation;  producers and buyers can't deal directly, can't even learn each others' identities.  That's not a real marketplace - instead it's very much like the exploitive situation faced by small farmers in undeveloped countries.    From time to time new middlemen show up, say nice things, we give them our wares, and they drive off and we never hear from them again.  This "business model", which so closely resembles subsistence agriculture, is just not going to work; something new has to take its place. 

I can produce good images.  They sell.  The whole problem is, prices are too low, and pricing is "one size fits all".    How is StockFresh part of the solution? 

velocicarpo

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 21:25 »

Exactly my thoughts....

grafix04

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 00:33 »
I loved StockXpert. Too bad its owners sold it out to the dark side. As for Stockfresh, let it go the way of Lucky Oliver. That's the fate it deserves.

+1

helix7, I hear what you're saying, but at this point the problem is "donor fatigue".   

I put my (small) portfolio on CC and GL because - initially at least - they offered reasonable commissions.   After a couple of years, I never sell anything on CC, and get a very occasional sale at GL.  The only way I'd submit to another "promising new site" wold be if it took absolutely no work in addition to uploading. 

What I want to see happen is a new microstock hosting site where we can upload our images to, add titles, description and keyword them all on this one site.  We have tick boxes for all the agencies and we tick the one's we want to contribute to.  The relevant agents then pick up our images, keywords, descriptions etc, from there.  Let them do the work if they want it on their sites.  No reviews either.  If they want it, they take it, if they don't, they leave it alone.  When they sell, the hosting site gets a small commission.  It's sort of like the third parties but in reverse making all the agents third parties.  That's where I'd like this to go.  Imagine the time we would save? 

lagereek

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 00:48 »
So why aren't we all uploading everything we've got and screaming at people to buy there?

Probably because everyone figures they'll just get screwed by them eventually too?

True.  Microstock contributor = cynic.

Youre right!  cynical, etc.  Funny thing is, this is the way the downfall of the Trad-agencies, started, back in early 90s.  The ones that survived sold out to Getty and the rest is history.

Best advice I can give to the guys at SF, is to start showing their best and most professional stuff, in the beginning of every search, never mind taking a "fair" attitude and sort of give everyone a chance. That philosophy has never worked and is down and out dangerous to business.

Its like IS, is doing at the moment, they promote their exclusive stuff, even when its just pure rubbish, as long as its exclusive. Ofcourse it doesnt sell, not in the 4 categories Im monitoring anyway.
I am uploading to them, BTW, at least for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:23 by lagereek »

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 01:28 »
I think im one of those whe was left hanging at the gate, a year ago or something.
Now i tried to check the site and login.
I couldnt login.
Password refresh didnt work.

Not convincing.

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57 »
With an average of about $100/mo in commissions at the old stockxpert, my applcation hung for something like 6 months even though I notified them of my former account when applying. Stockfresh can stick it. I'm on to bigger and better things so doesn't much matter any more..

Microbius

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 03:22 »
I wonder if Peter is actually actively working on the business, or has just left it to tick over as some residual income while he gets on with new projects?