pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: A call to arms - Support StockFresh  (Read 40046 times)

« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2012, 16:11 »
They told me theyd stopped perhaps they didn't like my stuff

« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2012, 16:18 »
They told me theyd stopped perhaps they didn't like my stuff

They told you they stopped what?

« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2012, 01:22 »
They told me theyd stopped perhaps they didn't like my stuff - sorry accepting new contributors

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2012, 02:12 »
Stock who? Nothing fresh about them, more like stale. I have my port there but waiting for that inevitable email that says thank you for supporting us but........we tried.
I make some money with them and I'm not a big earner, compared to lots of contributors.  They told us that they intended to do this differently, not spending lots of money.  Considering that, I think they might be doing much better than we think.  Having said that, I thought Lucky Oliver were doing well and was shocked when they sent the "thank you for supporting us but.." email  :)

Perhaps the biggest problems for SF are overcoming contributor negativity and convincing buyers to switch from sites that are no longer really microstock. Contributors are extremely impatient, buyers seem to stubbornly stick to sites they're used to and are unwilling to give new sites a chance.  Those that are moving mostly seem to be going to SS.  I hope SF can keep going and somehow overcome these huge obstacles.

« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50 »
Stock who? Nothing fresh about them, more like stale. I have my port there but waiting for that inevitable email that says thank you for supporting us but........we tried.
I make some money with them and I'm not a big earner, compared to lots of contributors.  They told us that they intended to do this differently, not spending lots of money.  Considering that, I think they might be doing much better than we think.  Having said that, I thought Lucky Oliver were doing well and was shocked when they sent the "thank you for supporting us but.." email  :)

Perhaps the biggest problems for SF are overcoming contributor negativity and convincing buyers to switch from sites that are no longer really microstock. Contributors are extremely impatient, buyers seem to stubbornly stick to sites they're used to and are unwilling to give new sites a chance.  Those that are moving mostly seem to be going to SS.  I hope SF can keep going and somehow overcome these huge obstacles.

I don't think that many contributors ever go in and then say, "now all I have to do it wait five to ten years and then all should be well." The issue isn't negativity, really.  It's responding to a failed attempt in the face of all the uploading one does for $7 a month.  At this point I'm not uploading there anymore.  But I really wish Peter all the best and hope he can turn things around.  The key is customers.  The key to customers is differentiation.  SF is more of the same (as are others to be fair) and it's exceedingly difficult to compete as a new entrant in a mature market.

« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2012, 08:28 »
I would have gladly supported StockFresh. However I applied to them in October of 2010, and they neither accepted nor rejected me. They never replied at all. It's been so long that I don't even remember what my login information was. I can't see why I would want to try again, and wait another 2 years for a decision, when I can join someone like GL, PD, or DP and start uploading almost immediately.

lisafx

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2012, 09:23 »
I continue to support SF, and still upload to them.  The upload process is so easy.  But not sure for how much longer.  

Sales were never great, but the past couple of months they are actually dwindling away.  June 2012 I made $8.10 with them, and a year ago I made $15.40.  That's with roughly 7k images. It is by far the lowest return of the 15 sites I contribute to.  Even low earners like Crestock and GL each brought in 4x that amount.  

Hope things turn around, but they are moving from slow to dead IMO.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:28 by lisafx »

« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2012, 11:08 »
I just started uploading some more images to SF because I have had some sales, but only about halfway to payout. I am hoping that increasing my port size (I have only had about a quarter of my port uploaded) will get me to at least one payout. But after reading your post, lisafx, I may be doomed. If you can't get sales with 7k images, I don't see how I will. But I will give it a try, just in case. Strange things happen on microstock sites.

« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2012, 13:57 »
I pulled the plug on my Stockfresh account last month. I just didn't see the point. Not just because of low sales, but I just didn't see much of a future with it. Best case scenario was that it would have become the next 123RF (a good selling site that undercuts on price and doesn't pay much per sale). I don't really need another 123RF. In fact, I could probably use one less 123RF.  ;)

A lot of people are complaining that it didn't have sales and wasn't Stockxpert. I would argue that it was probably too much like Stockxpert, and I think that is what the problem is. StockXpert was a great agency in 2008 and 2009, but the micros have evolved a lot since then (for better and worse). Contributors and buyers have certain expectations. I think Stockfresh had the opportunity to really make something better than the other agencies, but instead they just made a copy of an old mediocre agency with very little new appeal. Hopefully, that isn't too mean, but I just see lost opportunity when I see some new agencies.

Not to pick on just Stockfresh because I could level the same complaints at Veer, Photodune and many other newer sites.

« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2012, 14:14 »
I think you are right. For one thing, prices have risen significantly and they are still trying to sell at 2007 prices. Studies show that undercutting on price makes customers think your product is inferior. It's not a winning strategy.

As my Calc II professor used to say in college, "Say what you mean, and mean what you say." If your product is the cream of the crop in terms of quality, then price it accordingly. Don't claim that you are Vetta and SnapVillage at the same time.

« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2012, 14:25 »
I pulled the plug on my Stockfresh account last month. I just didn't see the point. Not just because of low sales, but I just didn't see much of a future with it. Best case scenario was that it would have become the next 123RF (a good selling site that undercuts on price and doesn't pay much per sale). I don't really need another 123RF. In fact, I could probably use one less 123RF.  ;)

A lot of people are complaining that it didn't have sales and wasn't Stockxpert. I would argue that it was probably too much like Stockxpert, and I think that is what the problem is. StockXpert was a great agency in 2008 and 2009, but the micros have evolved a lot since then (for better and worse). Contributors and buyers have certain expectations. I think Stockfresh had the opportunity to really make something better than the other agencies, but instead they just made a copy of an old mediocre agency with very little new appeal. Hopefully, that isn't too mean, but I just see lost opportunity when I see some new agencies.

Not to pick on just Stockfresh because I could level the same complaints at Veer, Photodune and many other newer sites.

I agree with you totally in that it isn't just a Stockfresh thing, it is the same across most new sites.  There isn't anything different about them...just more 30 cent subs competing for the same size pie.

lisafx

« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2012, 19:04 »

The difference being that Veer and Photodune both produce sales. 

« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2012, 21:21 »

I was going to question your assertion regarding Veer, Lisa.  Then I looked at my results over the last year.  PhotoDune is 11.8% of my total.  Veer trails way behind at 2.2%.  But StockFresh?  .2%!  Even SignElements outperforms StockFresh by a significant margin.  Of course, those are my results; your mileage may vary.

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2012, 00:59 »

Stockfresh and Veer?
An odd comparison considering Veer is my number three earner and Stockfresh has yet to produce a payout.

« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2012, 06:11 »
I like stockfresh.
They pay 50% comission.
I get 5$ for a vector-download.
I also got 50$ for an EL (also 50%)
For me they sell good.
I had some payouts in the past.
I started there with a small and average portfolio (160 illustrations) 1,5 years ago.
This is ok for me.
 :)

« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21 »
I'm happy with Veer too. 6% of earnings over the last 12 months, and a pleasing RPD. I haven't tried Photodune yet. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to add another microstock site.

Lagereek

« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2012, 09:26 »
I'm happy with Veer too. 6% of earnings over the last 12 months, and a pleasing RPD. I haven't tried Photodune yet. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to add another microstock site.

Dont!  just another low key site, pretending. Thats it.

Veer, is great!  good site.

« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32 »
Veer doesn't work for me this year. DLS and RPD down.
And Photodune isn't the right site for vectors (for me too cheap in the moment)...

tab62

« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2012, 13:29 »
R.I.P Stock fresh for you have gone stale  ;D...

« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2012, 15:45 »

Dont!  just another low key site, pretending. Thats it.

Veer, is great!  good site.

Appreciate it Christian. As always, your straight shooting is most helpful.

I wish I could have given you a real alternative with Warmpicture. I did my best, but in the end it was a Fail on my part.

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2012, 16:11 »
I wish I could have given you a real alternative with Warmpicture. I did my best, but in the end it was a Fail on my part.

You did do your best, and you put a lot of time and $$ into it. I don't see it as your fail. First of all, you're battling corporations with gazillions of $$ behind them in the SEO department. The K-Tools fail sounds like it really put the final nail in the coffin. I'm truly sorry it didn't work out for all of us, especially you.

edit: I am assuming you are saying it's over. I respect whatever decision you make. Hopefully there is some way to bounce back?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 16:26 by cclapper »

« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2012, 17:49 »

You did do your best, and you put a lot of time and $$ into it. I don't see it as your fail. First of all, you're battling corporations with gazillions of $$ behind them in the SEO department. The K-Tools fail sounds like it really put the final nail in the coffin. I'm truly sorry it didn't work out for all of us, especially you.

edit: I am assuming you are saying it's over. I respect whatever decision you make. Hopefully there is some way to bounce back?

I agree with Jo Ann - this is definitely not a FAIL on your part! 

lisafx

« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2012, 17:53 »

+2.  It's admirable how much work you have put in Dan.  My hat's off to you.  While the rest of us just  continue to complain about the direction of microstock, you took it upon yourself to DO something about it. 

I'm very sad if it's come to an end, but it may have been too quixotic a thing to undertake. 

« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2012, 17:57 »
+3 you have my respect!

« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2012, 18:25 »

Cathy.  :)