pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Which sites lock your photos (for 6m+)?  (Read 5272 times)

wut

« on: June 03, 2012, 07:18 »
Besides DT and Zoonar? I've already set my acc for deletion at Zoonar a month or so ago and stopped uploading at DT. Any other? I heard there are problems at DP, but the problem is they don't really delete it, but just deactivate it.

I wanna keep my options open and the real money has been only coming from SS and IS from day one for me. DT and FT are bringing BMEs in, but their growth is a lot slower than at IS and SS, while they should be a lot faster, so they'd eventually at least represent a significant portion of income, not just bread crumbs that fall off the table. Besides that the outlook for both looks bad, FT is selling only XS and S sizes lately, sales at DT are dropping rapidly, increased RPD doesn't help as much as I hoped it would.

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:37 »
Besides DT and Zoonar? I've already set my acc for deletion at Zoonar a month or so ago and stopped uploading at DT. Any other? I heard there are problems at DP, but the problem is they don't really delete it, but just deactivate it.

I wanna keep my options open and the real money has been only coming from SS and IS from day one for me. DT and FT are bringing BMEs in, but their growth is a lot slower than at IS and SS, while they should be a lot faster, so they'd eventually at least represent a significant portion of income, not just bread crumbs that fall off the table. Besides that the outlook for both looks bad, FT is selling only XS and S sizes lately, sales at DT are dropping rapidly, increased RPD doesn't help as much as I hoped it would.

Do you mean that "number of downloads" is decreasing but revenue per image sold is high therefore that higher revenue per image is creating BME's? Otherwise this is contradictory (the bold comments)

wut

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49 »

Do you mean that "number of downloads" is decreasing but revenue per image sold is high therefore that higher revenue per image is creating BME's? Otherwise this is contradictory (the bold comments)

Exactly! Sales almost 20% down, RPD 40% up in May. And sales were really poor past this last week (it looks like DLs could drop even further). So it's not contradictory, at FT the problem is small sized DLs. DT and FT should be growing with at least 2-3x the pace that IS and SS do. But it's just the other way around, small timers gaining less, the gap is ever increasing.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:56 »

Exactly! Sales almost 20% down, RPD 40% up in May. And sales were really poor past this last week (it looks like DLs could drop even further). So it's not contradictory, at FT the problem is small sized DLs. DT and FT should be growing with at least 2-3x the pace that IS and SS do. But it's just the other way around, small timers gaining less, the gap is ever increasing.

Cool.  That is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I've been getting $3-$8 DL's but the volume of downloads has fallen dramatically, even in the face of BME's on DT. 

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 11:30 »
I think the real problem for going exclusive now besides the 6 month sites is how long it will take your images to get off of some partner sites. Even if the originating site tells them to take the image down immediately it might take months and months for them to slowly disappear from these sites, especially if there are 3rd or more generation partner sites - eg micro A sends images to site B who sends images to site C... 

Also remember that things can change drastically in a few months when a site like IS flops the best match - suddenly those best sellers stop selling and the income gets cut by 60%.

wut

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:39 »
I think the real problem for going exclusive now besides the 6 month sites is how long it will take your images to get off of some partner sites. Even if the originating site tells them to take the image down immediately it might take months and months for them to slowly disappear from these sites, especially if there are 3rd or more generation partner sites - eg micro A sends images to site B who sends images to site C... 

Also remember that things can change drastically in a few months when a site like IS flops the best match - suddenly those best sellers stop selling and the income gets cut by 60%.

AFAIK only Zoonar sold my photos on partner sites. Oh yes, I've also opted in at Alamy. I should opt out, just so I won't have to wait another 3 or so months. I don't think I ever got a distribution sale over there, just regular and novelty use anyway, so no harm will be done.

I'm well aware of the best match changes. At SS there are inconsistent reviews (but I hope exclusives would get their own inspectors like at IS, who won't pull stunts like some do now). After realizing, only 2 sites earn decent money for me and after all the shady business practices from smaller agencies, I've pretty much decided to go that way

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 13:43 »
I hope exclusives would get their own inspectors like at IS, who won't pull stunts like some do now.
I've never heard that exclusives get their own inspectors at iS. There is an exclusive queue, but I thought that just meant (usually) quicker inspection, not different inspectors. If they are different, they are not necessarily more consistent. (a few weeks ago I had a ridiculous rejection for being 'too similar' - I had nothing similar. Scout overturned the rejection). I had about 50 editorial rejections (date/place in caption) which were wrong according to instructions, some were overturned by Subman, some by Scout, some Scout bizarrely upheld (I think it was just one inspector, as mostly they went in without trouble). Not for months now, so hopefully they got that inspector in line.

Anyone else heard that exclusives get their own inspectors? If so, is it true?

wut

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 13:47 »
I've heard it from a diamond videographer that attends video conferences or at least did, with IS HQ. He also met with IS senior staff on a few occasions. It is definitely true ;) . I don't believe every rumour I hear, but that source is solid, he's one of the big guys, he knew KKT etc (I just remember that name from senior staff)

ETA: I just remembered, there's a distribution at CS. I went through their forum, but didn't find any useful info. Does anyone know how long does it take for them to take down photos from partner sites? I would opt out, but I can't find that option at their site.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 13:49 by wut »

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 13:52 »
Besides DT and Zoonar? I've already set my acc for deletion at Zoonar a month or so ago and stopped uploading at DT. Any other?

FeaturePics: "For images uploaded after '04/15/2011': Once an Image is uploaded, FeaturePics can sell licenses for 360 days. The Image may not be withdrawn during this period."

wut

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 13:57 »
Besides DT and Zoonar? I've already set my acc for deletion at Zoonar a month or so ago and stopped uploading at DT. Any other?

FeaturePics: "For images uploaded after '04/15/2011': Once an Image is uploaded, FeaturePics can sell licenses for 360 days. The Image may not be withdrawn during this period."

Uhhh, I'm so glad I didn't spread to more sites. Yet another proof for what I'm always saying: small agencies are nothing but a hassle, shady businesses and a complete waste of time.

I'm at DP, CS, PD, 123 RF, Veer, BS, Alamy and top 4. Any of them besides Alamy and CS have distributions? Or lock ins like DT?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 14:48 »
I've heard it from a diamond videographer that attends video conferences or at least did, with IS HQ. He also met with IS senior staff on a few occasions. It is definitely true ;) . I don't believe every rumour I hear, but that source is solid, he's one of the big guys, he knew KKT etc (I just remember that name from senior staff)
Fairy nuff, then.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 21:14 »
Alamy requires 6 months notice for image removal. 

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 21:45 »

Uhhh, I'm so glad I didn't spread to more sites. Yet another proof for what I'm always saying: small agencies are nothing but a hassle, shady businesses and a complete waste of time.

I'm at DP, CS, PD, 123 RF, Veer, BS, Alamy and top 4. Any of them besides Alamy and CS have distributions? Or lock ins like DT?

check the partner programs etc. here:

http://www.microstockgroup.com/general-stock-discussion/a-list-of-partner-programs/

I wouldn't put it past some places to sneak a time limit for removing images into their stuff somewhere, especially some place like FT that has a history of trying to sneak stuff by us.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38 »
featuredpics 1 year right?

wut

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 04:31 »

check the partner programs etc. here:

http://www.microstockgroup.com/general-stock-discussion/a-list-of-partner-programs/

I wouldn't put it past some places to sneak a time limit for removing images into their stuff somewhere, especially some place like FT that has a history of trying to sneak stuff by us.

That's exactly why I wanted to go exclusive, well one of the reasons, a strong one; there's no transparency whatsoever. When you want to opt out, it takes forever to get files off of distribution sites and there's always so much hassle involved and some sites don't even delete your photos, even if you ask them. It doesn't really matter anymore, Alamy * me over and over: "You can sign up for distribution in new countries at any time, but once you have signed up you cannot deselect distribution territories until April the following year. The reason for this is to provide a stable and consistent collection for our distributors."

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 13:14 »
Are you guys sure that featurepics takes around 360 days for removing all images...???? As i requested for deleting my account there and had few email exchange and they say that featurepics takes takes just "2 weeks" to remove all images completely !!!!

ps- though i can see their rules about deleting an image.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 13:27 by gemmy12 »

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 13:50 »
I asked them again referring to their agreement-
and they say-
   Hello Gemmy!
1.       Images have been deleted from the public view.
2.       Images and your account will be deleted (COMPLETELY) in 2 weeks.
3.       Images will be not available for customers because they will not exist.
Thank you, FeaturePics crew.

again i asked them whether the images will be available in their partner sites and they replied-

Hello Gemmy!
All requests have been already submitted.
Nobody can purchase an image on our site (including partners) if it has been deleted.
Thank you, FeaturePics.com

* I had/have a very few images with them.

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 20:05 »
Fairy nuff, then.

-----------------------------------------------
I can confirm this as well.  They also have (or had) inspectors who just work on new applications and other types of special inspection kinds of niches.  I guess it is to avoid having to train everyone on everything.