pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Selling Flowers  (Read 4546 times)

WarrenPrice

« on: June 07, 2012, 12:33 »
I evaded starting an argument by not disagreeing with those who say flowers won't sell.  But, I stumbled across this in Shutterstock most popular search terms.  The most popular search term ... for the week, month or ever:

Flower!

Is that a mistake or is there really that much interest in flowers?

Clarifying note ... the term also produces a large result ... over a million images.   ;D

Any thoughts on selling flowers?
PS: my 3d and 4th best sellers are flowers.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43 »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47 »
Words like nude, naked, buttocks, breasts used to be top of Shutterstock, but that was thought to be mostly adolescent boys instead of potential buyers.  ::)
I see pictures of flowers being used all over the place, so why not?

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51 »
just made a quick folder on SS catalog regarding "flowers" in my portfolio and I have around 50 pictures, that said only 95$ (it shows the quality of my pictures and also the amount of approved content)

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 13:14 »
I'm sure there's plenty of interest in flowers, though as you've discovered there's also a lot of competition - but yes, they do sell.

I have a few in my portfolio, and although they're not major sellers they've more than paid for themselves and one at least had an EL for $92.70.

And they're fun to take!

WarrenPrice

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 13:37 »
I'm sure there's plenty of interest in flowers, though as you've discovered there's also a lot of competition - but yes, they do sell.

I have a few in my portfolio, and although they're not major sellers they've more than paid for themselves and one at least had an EL for $92.70.

And they're fun to take!

That is important, Gannet.  And, my wife is an avid Gardner.   8)

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 16:42 »
Do flowers sell.  Do they what!  Go to any marketplace.  Heaps of people buying flowers, especially around Valentine and Mother's Day. 

Oh, you mean images?  Don't know.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 19:40 »
The problem with flower images is not that there isn't a demand, I think demand is actually pretty high. The problem is competition. Flower images are relatively easy to do with no model releases required, so you are competing against millions. (so much competition that some sites probably won't accept mediocre flower images). I'd love to have a flower image on the first page of search though, as I bet it would get good sales.

I've had a few flower ELs too, which are always nice.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 20:07 »
The problem with flower images is not that there isn't a demand, I think demand is actually pretty high. The problem is competition. Flower images are relatively easy to do with no model releases required, so you are competing against millions. (so much competition that some sites probably won't accept mediocre flower images). I'd love to have a flower image on the first page of search though, as I bet it would get good sales.

I've had a few flower ELs too, which are always nice.

Yep... it is VERY competitive.  After getting over a million returns for "flower," I started looking for specific flowers -- bluebonnet; amaryllis; etc.  I don't have a chance with "flower" but try "amaryllis on black" and Voila.   :o

I need to educate  buyers ... BUY a bluebonnet or, "amaryllis on black." 
 ;D

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 16:09 »
Any thoughts on selling flowers?

Selling flowers? It's not the right job for me  :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 17:17 by Microstock Posts »