MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Foap App lets users sell iPhone pics as Stock Images  (Read 23665 times)

« on: June 28, 2012, 17:05 »
Users upload raw photos (no Instagram), tag them (the more the better), and wait for approval. If approved, the photos go on the Foap Market for $10 each, with $5 going to the developers and $5 going to the user.

Since launching less than a month ago in the Nordic countries the app has had over 10,000 downloads and over 40,000 images uploaded

http://www.psfk.com/2012/06/sell-iphone-pics-stock-images.html

admin edit: changed the subject to include foap
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:34 by leaf »

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 17:35 »
Strange maths:
 ...for $10 each, with $5 going to the developers and $5 going to the user...
...image sold 9 times and earned USD 180 ...

I'm sure there will be plenty of "contributors". But who's going to buy it?

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 17:49 »
right... 10k sales lol

http://foap.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 22:09 »
Luis runs to store to buy 2 iphones...

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 22:20 »

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15 »
This is just a sentence from the article.. but I found it humorous "Foaps founders, formerly in the travel industry, were frustrated with the quality of stock images they had to use."
So mobile phone photos are going to solve this problem...

anyhow, that said, I do think there is a market for casual phone photos in advertising or other places - I'm not sure if this is the solution though. It will be interesting to see how (or if) it develops.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:42 »
Hope they educate their sellers about releases.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 04:47 »

Yeah, I'll say. They have a little clause in their terms that say you have to have the appropriate releases but I tried to upload a couple of test photos and they didn't ask anything about releases.  The reviewers choose whether to put the images in editorial or commercial category .. but I don't know they know if I have a release or not... There seems there is a few more bugs to work out for them.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:30 »

And their buyers about copyright infringement.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 02:35 »
So I uploaded a few images, a few with models, and they were all put into the commercial category.  I have releases - but they don't know that... I was never asked.  I'm guessing there will be quite a few unreleased pictures of people on that site that are selling in the commercial category... I'm guessing they'll be changing things soon (or at least after their first legal dispute)

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 18:33 »
At last! A site with even lower standards than any of the Low Earners. No longer will contributors be faced with snarly rejections or that pesky lack of model releases. And better yet -- financed by the taxpayers of Sweden! So we are witnessing the worst of two worlds. Government bureaucracy oversight and absolutely rock bottom image quality.

This site may be one of first sites to openly ignore all copyright protections whatsoever. The good news is that whomever wastes time uploading has no clue about copyright and couldn't care less about whatever legal verbiage they have to agree to in order to post images there. The site's agreement effectively denies any responsibility whatever for whatever happens to anyone or anything at any time. Subject only the the laws of Sweden -- sort of.

All that remains is entertainment value for those who will enjoy watching this one slither through the gutter.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 14:54 »
they got featured on CNN..  I'm surprised at how much traction their getting.  Is this really that revolutionary? 

Be prepared to roll your eyes like a teenage girl if you click on the link
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#%2Fvideo%2Ftech%2F2012%2F06%2F30%2Fwr-app-payment-photos.cnn

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 00:56 »
They're going to become first agency with 50 million images online (and downloads per image 0.000000001).
Positive is that thanks to this app - part of "pin'n'steel" generation could finally find out that every image has its copyright owner and that it is normal to pay for image. Well I'm not naive - most of them won't start to pay for images but at least they will know they should.

ShadySue

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13 »
For some stupid reason on my part, I can't find the original travel site they had for which they could not source appropriate photos in existing agencies.
I'm curious to see what they use - oof, blurry, shadowy 'real' photos of 'young people' on hen/stag weekends?
Anyone know their travel site?

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55 »
Do they only take Iphones?

If so they are biased and discriminating against anyone who isn't using an Iphone. ;D

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 09:03 »
Do they only take Iphones?

If so they are biased and discriminating against anyone who isn't using an Iphone. ;D

from what I have read they are working on an android version

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55 »
I could see it gaining a foothold for those editorial photos one may capture with their phone when they just happen to be in the right place at the right time when something big goes down... maybe.

ShadySue

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44 »
I could see it gaining a foothold for those editorial photos one may capture with their phone when they just happen to be in the right place at the right time when something big goes down... maybe.
That would assume that the FOAP people are geared up for pushing the pics to the appropriate outlets.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 12:09 »

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 12:40 »
Nice.

"Here's my prom date in an ugly dress holding a basketball for no reason."

Boy, if buyers hated searching through a few 'crap' images on the micros to find gold, they'll love this place, lol.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48 »
+1
The big question is, what do they need us for?  The way to make money is to duct-tape iPhones to signposts, bus shelters and tables in clubs, and on the roofs of taxis; run an app that takes photos at random intervals, adds 20 randomly chosen keywords and uploads them.

In the future, 90% of stock imagery will be automatically generated on demand from Google Street View.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:53 by stockastic »

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 17:36 »
This is just a sentence from the article.. but I found it humorous "Foaps founders, formerly in the travel industry, were frustrated with the quality of stock images they had to use."
So mobile phone photos are going to solve this problem...

on the plus side, instead of having peers review our work it'll be end users, who don't see CA, fringing, artifacts, focus issues, lighting issues, incorrect WB and on-camera flash use. *going to trawl through my back catalogue of phone pics taken by the kids, surely there'll be a few winners in there*

Moonb007

• Architect, Photographer, Dreamer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 23:14 »
I don't get the whole selling cell phone pics either, but Pocketstock is doing the same thing.  They have an app that lets you do it automatically...I think there is another thread for them.

http://www.pocketstock.com

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 06:14 »

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 19:37 »
In a huge surprise, an IS exclusive has reported, on facebook, one of their images posted to foap.