pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iStock sales  (Read 11888 times)

wut

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 05:58 »
My sales are great :)
As usual, wut's portfolio is exempt from any seasonal or any other fluctuations.

I'm pissing against the wind, without getting piss on myself ;)

Thats because your pissing WITH the wind, not against it. Try the port side of the ship and see what happens.

I thought I was going against the odds (and somehow made it through), it certainly looks that way by reading this and many other threads in this forum ;)

It's all a joke of course, with my tiny port and numbers it really ain't that hard ;)

wut

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02 »
The whole month is a complete catastrophe.

You saying that, as the biggest IS cheerleader MSG has ever had (besides SNP, but she's gone now anyway), it really makes me think even more about exclusivity, I mean in terms is it really worth it since sales and earnings easily get so volatile :-\

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17 »
In fact, the entire , IS, best match, their CV, etc, etc,  is the worst and most naive search among all the agencies. A computer kid, in grammer school could have constructed something better.
Your evidence for calling that a 'fact' is ... ?
It's not perfect, but I still maintain that the worst problem for searches at any site  is poor/spammny keywording by contributors.
At least at iStock, you're very unlikely to find a photo of the head 'office' of a political 'party' in a search for 'office party' (where 'head office' and 'political party' are legitimate keyword phrases) as happens elsewhere.
Of course, if the phrase you want isn't in the CV, you can sometimes be 'forced' to spam, which is the downside.
I so wish there was a CV at Alamy. Keywording at iStock is so much easier. There's no way of avoiding the 'office party' scenario at Alamy - and of course, I, like everyone else, have dozens of similar examples. It must drive the buyers nuts.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 08:18 »
A huge noticeable downturn for me as well :(

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 08:20 »
Misery loves company.

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27 »
1st week -40%
2nd week +25%

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 10:12 »
Add me to the list of having a big downwards turn on IS this week. Yesterday was down over 50% compared to the rest of this years weekday average, only July 4th was worse.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 12:20 »

You saying that, as the biggest IS cheerleader MSG has ever had (besides SNP, but she's gone now anyway), it really makes me think even more about exclusivity, I mean in terms is it really worth it since sales and earnings easily get so volatile :-\

I do have some wishfull thinking that this is the known "summer slowdown" in effect, but yes, earnings are down 38% (adjusted to portfolio size) this month from my previous BME (03/12).

wut

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 12:32 »

I do have some wishfull thinking that this is the known "summer slowdown" in effect, but yes, earnings are down 38% (adjusted to portfolio size) this month from my previous BME (03/12).

But it wasn't your first terrible month either, it was 2nd or 3rd in a row, if I remember correctly...That being said, June seemed like a bad month for most IS contributors, especially exclusives (looking at the monthly earnings thread over there)

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 13:05 »
^^^
March was good
Apri was very bad
May was OK
June was bad
July (so far) is very very bad

JoEr

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 14:22 »
Spring was good with a few of my better months ever. June was about 5-10% worse than last year. July started terribly and may be my worst month ever since I became exclusive (2010) unless sales go up for the rest of the month. Really hope it's just a summer slowdown.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 15:41 »
IS has now moved into third position, behind DT, for me. That's a first.

Completely different order of magnitude from you but DT with 420 images is in 5th place so far this month, IS with 28 images is 2nd behind SS

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 20:53 »
So far at Istock for July I feel like I am running the Kentucky derby on the back of a mule.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 21:06 »

Completely different order of magnitude from you but DT with 420 images is in 5th place so far this month, IS with 28 images is 2nd behind SS

Sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you only have 28 images on Istock, your stats are pretty much meaningless in any discussion of sales trends on that site. However, they do say a lot about your portfolio on DT, if DT is your 5th place earner with 420 images and IStock still comes in second with only 28.
Like I said, not trying to be offensive, when I had only 28 images on Istock, I don't think I even had any monthly earnings. Of course, I was way past 28 by my second month there. You really can't see any trends until you have at least 300-500 images, IMO. 

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02 »

Sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you only have 28 images on Istock, your stats are pretty much meaningless in any discussion of sales trends on that site. However, they do say a lot about your portfolio on DT, if DT is your 5th place earner with 420 images and IStock still comes in second with only 28.
Like I said, not trying to be offensive, when I had only 28 images on Istock, I don't think I even had any monthly earnings. Of course, I was way past 28 by my second month there. You really can't see any trends until you have at least 300-500 images, IMO. 

When someone says Im not trying to be offensive it usually means look, I can be offensive without even trying :-D
Im sure that my humble efforts are totally insignificant compared to your (invisible) but, undoubtedly, huge port, replete with wonderfully creative and highly commercial images.  Having said that, your conclusion is utter nonsense logically.  Comparing MY performance at IS against MY performance at DT says nothing good, bad or indifferent about MY work only about relative performance on the sites.

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 06:32 »
No, they are correct.  You can't see any trend at IS with 28 images.  You might as well not be submitting there, and just picking up random nickels from the street.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 06:39 »
Comparing MY performance at IS against MY performance at DT says nothing good, bad or indifferent about MY work only about relative performance on the sites.
Not if you've got 420 files on DT and 28 images on iStock.

There's a micro-hater on the Alamy forum who is constantly on about his poor sales on iStock compared to Alamy. Hmmm, unless he has two accounts at iStock, he has less than 20 files on iStock and thousands on Alamy, so it's hard to take his 'relative performance on sites' seriously, and yours is just a less extreme case. NB, I'm making NO judgement on your photos, just your arithmetical conclusion.

It's also why it's difficult to make any statistical sense out of the monthly comparison thread figures, if we don't know:
1. If the number of files across the sites are broadly comparable (they'll never be the same given the vagaries of inspection across the sites, and it's far more difficult to build up your portfolio at iStock because of the tight upload limit for indies and newbies).
2. If the files have been up for comparable lengths of time, to get into lightboxes etc.

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23 »
Port on DT, SS, FT is similar (some I haven't bothered uploading on all sites).  DT normally would be about 30 - 40% of SS and ahead of FT.  FT is maintaining position relative to SS but DT has fallen off a cliff. Actually, small port notwithstanding, relative positions are usually in line with the poll results.  Participants in this forum come in all shapes and sizes with ports consisting of a few images to a few hundred to many thousands and the polls represent this spectrum.  Comparison with other contributors would say something about the images, comparing the same port across sites says something about the sites.

For me, IS is a total abberation and nothing to do with number of images (the perceived wisdom is that a tiny port can't get any traction so one would expect poorer rather than better relative performance).  The difference is that (rightly or wrongly) IS has very different acceptance criteria for this stuff than the other big sites which just means less competition.

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 17:48 »
Glad to at least see I'm not the only one, July has been pathetic. I wont even make half of what I made in March.

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 19:08 »
Can somebody enlighten mine pathological animosity/hatred why I hate my fabulous agriculture stock (iStock who treated contributors like Live Stock)
8 cent for photo??? what fakain is this all about???
Only what they they deserve from time to time is only Puke
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 19:12 by Suljo »

dbvirago

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 19:08 »
7 month in a row where IS is my lowest earner of the 7 sites I submit to. And for the 4th time this year, heading for a new 6 year low.

wut

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 19:11 »
7 month in a row where IS is my lowest earner of the 7 sites I submit to. And for the 4th time this year, heading for a new 6 year low.

What's the size of your port at IS, compared to other sites?

Lagereek

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04 »

Same here! SS and DT,  way above IS, first time as well.