MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Corrupt Metadata  (Read 7227 times)

« on: August 23, 2012, 03:52 »
After I edit files through MicrostockSubmitter the metadata seems to be corrupt somehow.  If I later try to edit the metadata through Adobe Bridge I get the error "There was an error writing the metadata to image ...." 
If I open the image in photoshop I can edit the metadata there but it is a bit of a painful workaround if I want to edit several images.

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:14 »
Exiftool
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
along with exiftool gui
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=05fc4df90ffd7359a045496eb670e2b0&topic=2750.0
You can either use exiftool alone from the command line, or if you prefer use exiftool gui.
You can do batches, restore, replace, complete metadata. Change individual items etc.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42 »
Actually StockSubmitter also uses Exiftool to write metadata to images.

So it there is any problem reading metadata after StockSubmitter wrote it to images, it should be some problem with Exiftool.

Also Adobe Bridge may be confused by different types of metadata in single image. StockSubmitter writes metadata in three formats - EXIF, IPTC, XMP - to make sure it is read correctly in any software.
Earlier there was no problems with reading metadata written by StockSubmitter in any program including Adobe Bridge. It is strange you have such problems now. When did you start to encounter this issue? Did you upgrade Adobe Bridge or something like that?

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:22 »
Actually StockSubmitter also uses Exiftool to write metadata to images.

So it there is any problem reading metadata after StockSubmitter wrote it to images, it should be some problem with Exiftool.

Also Adobe Bridge may be confused by different types of metadata in single image. StockSubmitter writes metadata in three formats - EXIF, IPTC, XMP - to make sure it is read correctly in any software.
Earlier there was no problems with reading metadata written by StockSubmitter in any program including Adobe Bridge. It is strange you have such problems now. When did you start to encounter this issue? Did you upgrade Adobe Bridge or something like that?

I just noticed the problem a couple days ago.  I haven't updated the Adobe software at all recently.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:24 »
Exiftool
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
along with exiftool gui
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=05fc4df90ffd7359a045496eb670e2b0&topic=2750.0
You can either use exiftool alone from the command line, or if you prefer use exiftool gui.
You can do batches, restore, replace, complete metadata. Change individual items etc.

I'm having a problem with the microstocksubmitter software, not with finding a good IPTC editor.  I'm actually quite happy using adobe bridge... just saying bridge (and other programs) are having problems re-writing to the metadata fields after microstocksubmitter has had it's way with them.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 19:32 »
Did you have this problem before?
This is very weird if you never had it, because StockSubmitter did not change metadata write method for quite a while.
May be you will remember any changes recently happened to your software configuration or to something else?

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:25 »
Yes you are right!!!

Poncke

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:57 »
Did you have this problem before?
This is very weird if you never had it, because StockSubmitter did not change metadata write method for quite a while.
May be you will remember any changes recently happened to your software configuration or to something else?
All your questions have already been answered.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 13:24 »
anyone know which fields among exif, iptc and xmp are actually used by agencies?  i've asked varius support but none have responded

i had a problem with microsoft protools  in that what it calls the title wasnt getting read by all agencies.  with exiftoolgui i need to enter info for both iptc and xmp to satisfy all agencies

Poncke

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 13:33 »
iptc

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:37 »
It actually depends on a stock.