MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

What do you think of the post ratings?

It's a dumb idea!!
12 (35.3%)
I like it.
22 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Post Ratings. Dumb idea or useful?  (Read 11704 times)

« on: August 26, 2012, 13:43 »
What do you think? Is it a nice feature to be able to rate a person's post?  ... or is it just useless

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 14:00 »
What do you think? Is it a nice feature to be able to rate a person's post?  ... or is it just useless
Good to have thumbs up and thumbs down (or equivalent) to give a gauge of group opinion on any topic. Just for interest.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 14:02 »
It's just going to create the same kind of thing that ignore does. And if you disagree with a post, even though it may be a good, meaningful one-sided post, it will get negative rating by the opposition. :-\ ;)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 14:21 »
I must be on Facebook too much.  I often use the thumbs up.  I don't need to get the "useful" emails though.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 14:24 »
Good to have thumbs up and thumbs down (or equivalent) to give a gauge of group opinion on any topic. Just for interest.

I agree with that. Not that the gauge means anything useful, just confirms if I am in a minority or majority with my way of thinking.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 14:48 »
I don't use it often, but I think there's value in the forum equivalent of the Facebook "Like" to let someone know you thought their post was particularly useful.

I don't need a thumbs down as you just skip those posts (and if it's a whole series of them, you ignore the poster).

We are talking about what used to be the heart button, corred?

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 15:43 »
+1
I don't use it often, but I think there's value in the forum equivalent of the Facebook "Like" to let someone know you thought their post was particularly useful.

I don't need a thumbs down as you just skip those posts (and if it's a whole series of them, you ignore the poster).

Yeah, it would essentially be the heart button - with a little more visibility of what people think. It is already installed so you can test it out.  I'll remove it if it is useless.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 15:52 »

Yeah, it would essentially be the heart button - with a little more visibility of what people think. It is already installed so you can test it out.  I'll remove it if it is useless.

Where? I don't see it.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 15:56 »

Where? I don't see it.

Sorry, I messed up on the permissions.  You should see it now

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 15:57 »
can we see the members with most ratings quickly or we need to check forum stats? which I can't find anymore

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 16:58 »

Where? I don't see it.

I still don't see it. Where is it supposed to show up, where the heart used to be?

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 17:01 »

Where? I don't see it.

I still don't see it. Where is it supposed to show up, where the heart used to be?

on the opposite side :)

velocicarpo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 17:10 »
I definitely like it ;-)

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 17:45 »
I can't see it anywhere (Chrome  21.0.1180.82, Mac OSX 10.8.1). Is there some preference I have to enable to see it?

CD123

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 17:57 »
+1
I can't see it anywhere (Chrome  21.0.1180.82, Mac OSX 10.8.1). Is there some preference I have to enable to see it?

It has a small + sign on the top left and the words "Rate This Post". If you click on the + it opens a area with 5 stars. I just rated your post 2 stars=OK. Can you see that?

rubyroo

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 17:58 »
Have we lost the hearts and our heart scores?  :'(  I preferred that.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 18:05 »
I was using Firefox and I didnt see anything like that. Now im on my Galaxy Tab and I dont see anything here either.  :(

ShadySue

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 18:07 »
I was using Firefox and I didnt see anything like that. Now im on my Galaxy Tab and I dont see anything here either.  :(

Me neither.
This is what I'm getting FF 14.0.1; Win 7:

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 18:12 »
thats curious, I am also on Win 7 and Firefox 14.0.1 and I see it :)

RacePhoto

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 20:39 »
+1

Looks like this: 
Up Left

But I want a negative so it's not all, love. I mean, it gets a 1 for "I disagree" wouldn't it be better if it was something like 5 = +3, 4=+2, 3 = 1, 2 = -1 and 1 = -2, so it's still slightly positive weighting, but at least disagreeing isn't a PLUS. OK make the 1 a -1 and 2 = +1? (there are no zeros in any of these schemes.

I'd love to be able to hit a troll post with a -1 or -2!

ps I gave Leaf's OP a five stars just to see what happens. Nice!

Useful? Is anything we do here, actually "useful". ???
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 20:41 by RacePhoto »

ShadySue

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 20:44 »
Useful? Is anything we do here, actually "useful". ???
Oh yes: catharsis is therapeutic.  ;D

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 23:34 »
+1

It has a small + sign on the top left and the words "Rate This Post". If you click on the + it opens a area with 5 stars. I just rated your post 2 stars=OK. Can you see that?

I tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Logged in, I can see neither the rate this post message nor the stars. Logged out, I can see the stars - I assume you can't rate if you aren't a member, so that makes sense.

Perhaps it's the type or status of certain members that determines who can see these items and who not?

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 00:35 »
Just to support Jsnover :  I'm on IE9 and I can't see it either ...

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 00:51 »
sorry, I think it was the premium members who can't see it ... fixes coming soon

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11 »
Just to support Jsnover :  I'm on IE9 and I can't see it either ...

IE9 here as well - not showing for me. I voted against it anyway so not a problem! I thought this was a forum where if you agree/disagree with a post you could reply publicly. Regards, David.

Microbius

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 05:29 »
Agree there needs to be negative as well as positive, and show both ratings, so you can know if a post has a zero because it is controversial with 50 likes and 50 dislikes rather than bland with no ratings at all

rubyroo

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36 »
But... are we all going to scroll back in time to see how our post was rated?  (Who has the time?) Aren't only late-comers to a thread going to see the full rating of a post?

I don't think I fully comprehend the usefulness of this idea.

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 06:00 »
But... are we all going to scroll back in time to see how our post was rated?  (Who has the time?) Aren't only late-comers to a thread going to see the full rating of a post?

I don't think I fully comprehend the usefulness of this idea.

Yeah, it would mostly be for late comers and a way of showing your appreciation to the poster.
If a person comes into a post or is visiting the site from outside they will be able to know of a post is off the wall or a very useful popular post.

rubyroo

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 06:11 »
+3
Well I do see the usefulness for late-comers... and I do like the 'appreciation' aspect, but I can't imagine myself tracking back through my own posts to see whether they were valued or not.  OTOH, whenever I saw the total number increment under the heart system, it was a really nice little boost, and lovely to see people's positive comments.  I think I may be in the minority here, but I thought that was more satisfying for the author.  I don't suppose there's a way to combine the two is there?  (I'm sorry - I'm sure you have enough on your plate, and I don't want to make your head explode!)

CD123

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 08:01 »
Now it is not visible to me either?

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 11:05 »
Now it is not visible to me either?

It should just be a little thumb beside the word Quote.  You don't see that?

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 11:28 »
+1
The gray blob is unrecognizable until you hover over it - then it becomes a green hand with thumb up. I think if you have the option for a gray thumb's up, people would stand a chance of knowing what it was for. But it's not all that important (i.e. not worth spending much time on, IMO).

BTW, when I could see the row of stars, I thought that was visually very cluttered - too much like a car dealer ad with decorations all over :)

lisafx

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 11:30 »
+7
I like the heart button we've always had.  It's nice to praise someone who has gone out of their way to be helpful. 

However, I don't like the idea of a thumbs down.  We want people to give honest opinions, not to get caught up in trying to be "popular" and only say things that other people will agree with.   I am afraid a thumbs down might have a chilling effect on people giving their honest opinions.  I still remember the Istock forum ratings system and it was a disaster.   

If it ain't broke don't fix it would be my vote, if that was an option :)

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 11:47 »
+1
I like the heart button we've always had.  It's nice to praise someone who has gone out of their way to be helpful. 

However, I don't like the idea of a thumbs down.  We want people to give honest opinions, not to get caught up in trying to be "popular" and only say things that other people will agree with.   I am afraid a thumbs down might have a chilling effect on people giving their honest opinions.  I still remember the Istock forum ratings system and it was a disaster.   

I totally agree with Lisa. In addition, I think the forum does not need more negativity and division among members.

ShadySue

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 12:34 »
+4

I totally agree with Lisa. In addition, I think the forum does not need more negativity and division among members.

I'm not so sure.
On another totally unrelated to stock forum, I recently saw some really, really nasty, horrible posts on a particular topic. What really gave me heart was the huge number of thumbs down on these posts. (And it was evidence of a totally free speech forum, as most moderators would have removed these particular posts.)
Of course, you can always post a converse, or thumbs up those who already had posted these, if they've already made your points; but still, it was good to see.

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 13:04 »

well you got 6 thumbs up for this so you must have hit a cord.  I agree the hearts were nice and give a good indication of what they should actually be used for.
[scurries off to photoshop]

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 13:12 »
+7
hearts in place.  Can't you feel the love already  :D

The system is now essentially the same as before except you can see the number of hearts a person has received for a post and the page doesn't have to reload when you give a heart.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 13:16 by leaf »

RacePhoto

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 14:58 »

The system is now essentially the same as before except you can see the number of hearts a person has received for a post and the page doesn't have to reload when you give a heart.

The pole is flawed anyway. It's a dumb idea, but I like it, where's #3 for all of the above?  :D

As for Lisa's message it says Vote, so I clicked to see if I could vote 1-2-3-4-5 stars and nope, it just increased one heart. Could be we are all just testing her message because it's there and has the positive only thoughts, plus the red heart which is attractive.

So Yes to, No Negatives? Is that the answer?  ::)

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 15:06 »
+2

it should continue the previous hearts no? remember lisa was over 200 I guess

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 15:18 »
+1

The pole is flawed anyway. It's a dumb idea, but I like it, where's #3 for all of the above?  :D

As for Lisa's message it says Vote, so I clicked to see if I could vote 1-2-3-4-5 stars and nope, it just increased one heart. Could be we are all just testing her message because it's there and has the positive only thoughts, plus the red heart which is attractive.

So Yes to, No Negatives? Is that the answer?  ::)

The stars thing was tested yesterday and was a bit obtrusive.  The hearts are more subtle and I think work better.

lisafx

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 17:49 »

Love it!  I noticed the heart turned red when I hearted your post :)

lisafx

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 17:51 »
+2
it should continue the previous hearts no? remember lisa was over 200 I guess

Aw darn!  I lost all that good lovin' accumulated over the years.  ;)

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 18:01 »
+2
cant we see who is loving us and where? ;D

rubyroo

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 06:38 »
+2
Thanks for adding the tally Tyler  ;D

It would still be nice to have the option of the private comment we used to have - but I don't know if it's too much trouble for you.   I miss knowing who 'hearted' us too... but OTOH, it may be that more people will 'heart' others if they can do so anonymously (and I'm all for more love around this place!)  ;D

I agree it's a shame that our old heart tally wasn't carried over to the new one.

Thanks so much for all you've done though.  It's terrific that you responded so fast to everyone's requests. I don't know how you keep on top of everything!