pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: SEVEN CENTS!!!  (Read 10700 times)

WarrenPrice

« on: September 06, 2012, 09:30 »
My first sale after the outage -- 7 effin cents!!!

Let's see ... considering the volume effect ... ten images would be .... 70 cents.   Don't you just love capitalism?   :P

Maybe it will be good enough for transfer to Thinkstock.   ;D

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38 »
Mine was 24.87 if that's any consolation  (XL E+)

Poncke

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:39 »
Why are people still with this agency, I dont get it. Honestly. If its such an evil agency and stealing bastids, why are people still contributing? There must be something I am missing.

stan

This user is banned.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44 »
Why are people still with this agency, I dont get it. Honestly. If its such an evil agency and stealing bastids, why are people still contributing? There must be something I am missing.

Because you're still averaging 5$ or so for max sized DL. Contrary to mid tier sites where you don't even get half of that on average, 123RF being the worst of them all, usually below 2$. On top of higher commissions, the volume of sales is dozens of times higher at IS for most.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45 »

Read the post above yours.   :-\

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:46 »

Because you're still averaging 5$ or so for max sized DL. Contrary to mid tier sites where you don't even get half of that on average, 123RF being the worst of them all, usually below 2$. On top of higher commissions, the volume of sales is dozens of times higher at IS for most.

Hmmm. From what I read here, the 'volume' at SS is much greater.

traveler1116

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:47 »
My first sale after the outage was a L E+ for $20+.

vonkara

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:47 »
Exactly the kind of money I get for a sale. Was that 7 cents a XS sale, a thinkstock sub sale?

ShadySue

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 09:48 »
Exactly the kind of money I get for a sale. Was that 7 cents a XS sale, a thinkstock sub sale?
Thinkstock sales are only recorded once a month, approximately midmonth.

vonkara

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:52 »
Thinkstock sales are only recorded once a month, approximately midmonth.

K thanks, I'm opted out, I never experienced it. Seeing the best match sort on IS, I'm surprised they even get a buyer going further than the 5th page to download a non exclusive image. I don't know how is it possible to get .07 my lowest for a XS is close to .70

WarrenPrice

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53 »

No idea???  I checked stats with DeepMeta and found that my "measuring cups" sold for seven cents.  I don't know enough about iS to find what size it was?

Poncke

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:58 »

Ok, but from what I read on the forum here, there is little to nothing people mention is positive about IS and the comments on how bad they treat the tog and the ricidulous low commission are plenty.

I thought about submitting to them, but I am happy now that I failed their test. It would annoy me to death dealing with them.

ShadySue

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59 »

No idea???  I checked stats with DeepMeta and found that my "measuring cups" sold for seven cents.  I don't know enough about iS to find what size it was?

!!! And clearly you don't care either!
My Uploads, now reached via two more clicks since the relaunch
(My Account (bottom left) > Contributor tools > My Uploads > 'Last DL' column.
(Click Last DL column if the file downloaded today isn't the one at the top).
Click on the number under DLs and you'll get a page that shows stats like this:

Date (DD/MM/YYYY)            Size            License    Royalty
05/09/2012 3:20 AM MDT    Large    Regular    $5.55 USD

(Yeah,that's my last dl.  :'( )
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:00 by ShadySue »

ShadySue

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 10:04 »
My first sale after the outage -- 7 effin cents!!!

Let's see ... considering the volume effect ... ten images would be .... 70 cents.   Don't you just love capitalism?   :P

Maybe it will be good enough for transfer to Thinkstock.   ;D

According to Sean's calculator, that's a 46c credit (assuming at 15% commission), which is near rock-bottom credit value.
http://seanlockephotography.com/2011/12/20/calculating-price-paid-per-credit

vonkara

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06 »

LOL I got a smaller credit package buyer or something today...

06/09/2012 3:40 AM MDT    Large   Regular   $5.70 USD

ShadySue

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10 »

LOL I got a smaller credit package buyer or something today...

06/09/2012 3:40 AM MDT    Large   Regular   $5.70 USD

Could be, I've had larger L payments. But also you could be on a higher %age. My iron pyrites canister belies the fact that I'm on 30%.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:21 by ShadySue »

stan

This user is banned.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18 »

Ok, but from what I read on the forum here, there is little to nothing people mention is positive about IS and the comments on how bad they treat the tog and the ricidulous low commission are plenty.

Don't worry about what people think, most of them don't use their brains anyway ;)

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 10:37 »
Despite all problems with the site and negativism IS is still making 50% more $ than SS with same port size around 2000 files (at least in my case).They have best reviewers which makes me believe  that they are still #1 microstock site. I know many of you will disagree but if you want to learn that is the place. If you are good enough for IS than you pass the MS test and you're good to go.

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41 »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ You miss $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

WarrenPrice

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48 »

You got me.   ;D

I do care though, that ANY commission could be that low ... but what good is knowing the details? 
Is there something I could do about it?

ShadySue

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59 »

You got me.   ;D

I do care though, that ANY commission could be that low ... but what good is knowing the details? 
Is there something I could do about it?

No, unless you chose to leave iS or stop uploading there.
However, you might feel different if you know that it was an XS which earned you 7c, rather than a huge size file for peanuts at e.g. TS or SS. Or you might not.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:26 by ShadySue »

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15 »
IS is paying for my family's health insurance. Unless you would like to step up and pay for them I'm more than happy to drop IS.  ::)

Poncke

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21 »
Despite all problems with the site and negativism IS is still making 50% more $ than SS with same port size around 2000 files (at least in my case).They have best reviewers which makes me believe  that they are still #1 microstock site. I know many of you will disagree but if you want to learn that is the place. If you are good enough for IS than you pass the MS test and you're good to go.

When I first started out 6 months ago, I failed their test 3 times and then went on to learn photography in the forums at SS and got accepted there. I am with 5 agencies now and figured I would get back to IS at some point but after reading the comments here on MSG over the last few months I dont want to. I cant be bothered by a tedious keywording process (one of the reasons I cant be bothered to increase my port at Alamy) and their ridiculous MR policy. Which by the way would refrain me from uploading loads of photos because I dont have the correct MRs for IS. And their ridiculous low commission. 3 key points for me to avoid IS like the plague.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:27 by Poncke »

Poncke

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 11:27 »
IS is paying for my family's health insurance. Unless you would like to step up and pay for them I'm more than happy to drop IS.  ::)

If you make that kind of money, kudos to you, and I understand money is an important factor and for some stock is their main income. So I understand that part of the bargain. It must be Sophies Choice then for many. I dont know if I could take that kind of abuse from an agency. When I reach a point that I am pushed over the edge I will quit whatever job I have. I have done it before and I have done it again recently and I will keep doing that, just for my own happiness. Works for me. 

WarrenPrice

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 11:32 »
I'm just posting my frustration.  I can't say that any microstock site is any better or worse than any other.  Far be it from me to convince anyone to accept such cheap rates.  More money for me (and Sean.)   8)

But, tho critical of the ridiculous seven cent commission, I must admit that my RPD at iS is higher than at my other "Representatives." 

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 11:41 »

Hmmm, definitely the most picky about technical minutiae but I dont know if that equates to the best.  Unlike other sites, I see no actual judgement in the reviewing - you could train monkeys to look for stray pixels.  Otherwise Id agree, even with the tiny commission, 1 image on IS is worth at least 10 elsewhere (SS aside where perhaps 3).

WarrenPrice

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 12:02 »

Hmmm, definitely the most picky about technical minutiae but I dont know if that equates to the best.  Unlike other sites, I see no actual judgement in the reviewing - you could train monkeys to look for stray pixels. Otherwise Id agree, even with the tiny commission, 1 image on IS is worth at least 10 elsewhere (SS aside where perhaps 3).

Are you sure?
Aren't you afraid unsubstantiated facts like that will harm your credibility?   ??? :P ;D

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 12:40 »
Just because I don't leave IS doesn't mean I like their business behavior.

...I don't know if I could take that kind of abuse from an agency. When I reach a point that I am pushed over the edge I will quit whatever job I have. I have done it before and I have done it again recently and I will keep doing that, just for my own happiness. Works for me.

I understand what you mean and I would walk away too if it pushed me over the edge but in the end it's like uploading the image once and then raking in the cash, so it's not an awful lot of work so to speak.

KB

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 13:10 »
Mine was $1.56 for an XS (as were my 2nd and 3rd sales); what am I doing wrong?  ;D

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 13:14 »
Soon we can categorize is as a low performing agency, with bad commisions.

Maybe they will even have to do something about the annoying upload procedure, and try to get people to upload to them.
That will make me smile.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 13:17 by JPSDK »

stan

This user is banned.
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 13:56 »
There's a glitch at IS and my royalties are calculated at E+ instead of P+ prices. I just wish I was also credited at that rate ;D

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 13:58 »
That glitch is the same as shows up on one of my images that received its first sale this morning. I checked a couple of other image's downloads details and they all look the same - same times as well as amounts

ShadySue

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 14:05 »
Oh, sorry, I just posted about this in my own thread as I was too slow combining my screenshots to see yours before I 'sent'.

Added: It's worse than that. There's no consistency. I have a file showing on its home page, ad in the My Uploads table as having had 23 dls,but on the details page, two sales are recorded, possibly at indy prices.

It seems this hiccup has got our stats all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 14:10 by ShadySue »

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 21:23 »
Hmmm. 0,07 USD.... If I look at http://www.istockphoto.com/buy-stock-prepaid-credits.php, the lowest value of a credit is $1.22. So, if you're at the lowest RC tier, you still should make $0,18 royalties for a small (1 credit) sale. Suppose that 3000 credits is too small for a client, and a 50% discount is negociated (Kudos for the buyer, if he / she achieves that), increased with a 10% discount for downtime, I still cannot compute $0,07.

I guess in stead of firing the creative and content part of their staff, IS should've fired their sales personel. I figure the people who bought Getty got the same kind of bargain. Should be worth enquiring about.

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 21:30 »
The lowest bulk price is around $.46 .  There you go.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 23:08 »
7 cents! Ha Ha Ha . You got robbed! My last sale there was 8 cents! Whoopie.....sob..sob

WarrenPrice

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 07:59 »
7 cents! Ha Ha Ha . You got robbed! My last sale there was 8 cents! Whoopie.....sob..sob

:) ;) :D ;D :'(