pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Anything that i could improve on my vectors in order to generate more sales?  (Read 4145 times)

« on: October 18, 2012, 18:42 »
I am now considered doing this full time, however my monthly sales can never exceed USD$100, so i seriously need some help here. I do not know what is the problem and any comments or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery-559120p1.html

Currently i am selling my design on Shutterstock, Vectorstock and 123rf..Is there any other good sites to sell vectors? i have tried Istock and Dreamstime,and it's a nightmare for me as i keep getting rejections, not quite sure what is the problem..

Please let me know what do you think about my design or anything u would like to share with me..=) Thankiu!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 22:34 »
I'm not a vector artist but I really like your stuff! As far as I can say your characters (snowman, people, animals) like well proportioned which is something a lot of illustrators are struggling with.

I can see your stuff selling really well at Zazzle and Cafepress plus you can set your own commission which makes it even more attractive.

Maybe microstock is not the best place for such illustrations.

Some Zazzlers can easily rake in a couple grand a month with wedding invitations, baby shower announcements etc. using just that style. Do a search on Zazzle to see the competition. It's hard to get started - BUT - there are no reviewers!!! You need to get a critical amount of designs in your store and ideally direct traffic to your store (Twitter, FB, personal referrals etc.). But even their own marketplace search engine can earn you several hundreds a month.

I didn't check a lot of your images in regards of keywords but they looked ok from what I saw.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Apply to more sites - it's tough but it'll pay off in the long run and think about offering print on demand products like Zazzle.

Best of luck!

CD123

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 23:17 »
Might find a lot of people differing from me on this one, but I still get some proper pricing out of Canstock for vectors. They are not as big as the others, but have a nice constant sales flow and good support.
Can not see any problem with your work, it might just be that your subjects are not commercial enough (therefore potentially the lack of sales)? Look at the top selling vectors at the big sites, with focus on subject and maybe it can help you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 00:40 by CD123 »

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 23:48 »
One thing to consider is that perhaps your target market doesn't have the expertise to take the sample text off of your images. A lot of your images look like they would sell to new mothers and other non professional customers. Your sample text might actually be hurting your sales because the customer can't figure out how to get it off. If they have to download the vector file to remove the text they are going to be stuck if they can't open the file because they don't have the software. Your images are very nice but I think they are unusable to many of the people who would like to buy them.

Consider changing your approach. Stop being a designer and start being an illustrator. Think of your images as "parts" of someone else's design, rather than finished designs themselves.

Finally - I agree about Canstock. Other sites I like are Bigstock, GL, Yay, ToonVectors, Stock Fresh and Stockami

These sites tend to work better for Illustrators than Photographers. Some are new but their sales are growing for me.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 00:01 »
I like them. You probably just need more of them. Also, think about a larger variety of themes.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:31 »
I totally agree with my colleagues, your portfolio and images style are very cool!

You portfolio probably only needs more volume of the same quality images... maybe like say cthoman also working on a variety of themes
How long have you been on Shutterstock ? It's a bit long to wait for really better earnings, but if you keep working the same way, i don't doubt you will be earning more $, with lifetimes earnings growing etc.

Keep up the work and good luck !

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 13:30 »
I think your graphics are great. Maybe like others said,  images with no text would help.

The problem is volume. You have only 445 illustrations, and if you want to make more money you need to add a lot more than that.  I know because I'm in the same boat.  Volume and quality.

Monica