pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotolia and Travel Pics  (Read 14001 times)

tab62

« on: November 08, 2012, 22:22 »
+1
Does Fotolia really hate travel pics (mostly Landscape)? From my two trips I am lucky to get 25% Acceptance Rate from them. Yet, if I shoot a Tomato on White is hits 100% AR. Next time I travel it will be to a Tomato farm with my white boards in hand...

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 22:48 »
Does Fotolia really hate travel pics (mostly Landscape)? From my two trips I am lucky to get 25% Acceptance Rate from them. Yet, if I shoot a Tomato on White is hits 100% AR. Next time I travel it will be to a Tomato farm with my white boards in hand...

no they're just strange - i have a lot of travel & even editorial stuff accepted

tab62

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 23:15 »
I need to upload more strange pics  ::)

Thanks.

T

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 00:25 »
Usually they are no problem, but sometimes you get a reviewer that will nail a bunch of outdoor images for technical reasons.  The next batch usually sails through fine.  Never tried resubmitting any so not sure what happens with a second review.  In my last batch I had 4/5 travel photos rejected, but 5/5 isolations accepted.  First time to get that many rejections in a batch since March.  The ones they rejected were not my best so I can't complain too much - it was an unusual location so I might have pushed it a bit.

THP Creative

• THP Creative

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:18 »

I find the same tab62, landscapes and nature in general, almost 70% rejected. Anything isolated, with a person, in studio, vector or otherwise - 100% acceptance.

Plus, I think (enter conspiracy theory) that they take a look at your uploads before you have even submitted them. I have had some uploads waiting in my admin section for a few days and just submitted some of them - within UNDER A MINUTE they were reviewed, some rejected, some accepted.

rubyroo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02 »
no they're just strange

Strange is the word.

Not so long ago, I uploaded two versions of the same subject.   Both reviewed at the same time.  One of them was rejected on the basis that they are 'overwhelmed' with high quality shots of that subject and don't need more in their database.  The other?  Accepted.

I can only guess that one of them just managed to scrape in before the reviewer reached the mysterious 'overwhelm' threshold.  ;D

I've long given up trying to fathom FT's review policy.  I do my thing and they do theirs, and I need my brain capacity for things I can actually make sense of.  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:04 by rubyroo »

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:46 »

Yes.  I have some really cool shots of seascapes and virtually all of them have been rejected.  Not that it matters, but they've been accepted everywhere else including IS, DT, SS, etc.

tab62

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 10:38 »
+1
I can understand if there is saturation of the pics but on some of the pics there only a few in their inventory. Also when they say rejected due to technical issues that is bull! Especially if all the other companies accepted them.  Just tell me that you simply don't want them!  Bottom line- just let it go and shot more isolated stuff that they are willing to accept...

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 00:39 »

no they're just strange - i have a lot of travel & even editorial stuff accepted

I was under the impression that FT does not accept/sell editorial images.
Have they changed their policy?

Poncke

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 11:05 »

I find the same tab62, landscapes and nature in general, almost 70% rejected. Anything isolated, with a person, in studio, vector or otherwise - 100% acceptance.

Plus, I think (enter conspiracy theory) that they take a look at your uploads before you have even submitted them. I have had some uploads waiting in my admin section for a few days and just submitted some of them - within UNDER A MINUTE they were reviewed, some rejected, some accepted.
Thats normal. I always prepare all photos, submit one completely and then wait for it to be reviewed. As soon as it is reviewed I know my batch is up for review. I can then control when they hit the market. Because once your queue is up and your finalize your submittal they will be reviewed instantaneously,

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 03:31 »
This topic is old, but it has no sense to open a new one

Yes, I can confirm that Fotolia hates landscapes and outdoor photos.
I just had an almost full batch of very nice river landscapes rejected (about 80 images), while the same images have been accepted everywhere without problem.

I don't understand them.
I know that it is their business and that they manage it following the considerations that they have done (I hope for them even if at a certain point I am not quite sure), but I should be very happy if somebody from the Fotolia staff could come here to explain the reasons why they almost systematically reject this kind of photos.

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27 »
This topic is old, but it has no sense to open a new one

Yes, I can confirm that Fotolia hates landscapes and outdoor photos.
I just had an almost full batch of very nice river landscapes rejected (about 80 images), while the same images have been accepted everywhere without problem.

I don't understand them.
I know that it is their business and that they manage it following the considerations that they have done (I hope for them even if at a certain point I am not quite sure), but I should be very happy if somebody from the Fotolia staff could come here to explain the reasons why they almost systematically reject this kind of photos.
The funny thing is, I only sell travel pics (the ones that got through) on FT  ::)
Their policy is fine with me, most of my pics come on top in their search database.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:13 »

The funny thing is, I only sell travel pics (the ones that got through) on FT  ::)

I sold all the few they accept too
So it means that they really know what landscape photos will sell and what will not  ;D

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:13 »
oops
I don't know how to delete a post.
Somebody can help me?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:08 by Beppe Grillo »

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53 »

I sold all the few they accept too
So it means that they really know what landscape photos will sell and what will not  ;D
Haha I wouldn't say that, they rejected the ones which sell better elsewhere ;D

tab62

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00 »
Travel pics and Fotolia = Oil and Water    (They don't mix well)... :-\

RacePhoto

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05 »
I've been moving forward and expanding to Isolated Sliced and Whole Vegetables. I know it's a bold approach and risky move from Sliced Tomatoes on White, but I felt the need to diversify.  ;)

Here's one with black. It could be the start of a movement, going away from white to black... Whole Vegetables? It could be the next big thing?

ps For some people who come to forums, that like to copy ideas and steal good ones, this isn't one of them. It's on the last page. Leeks on black has never sold, anywhere.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:21 »
+1
I have understood the future Footoolia trend is to shoot full blackberries on black  ;D

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:24 »
This is my best selling travel pic on Fotolia. Maybe it also fit the "extreme sports" category

http://www.fotolia.com/id/36586353

RacePhoto

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 10:35 »
This is my best selling travel pic on Fotolia. Maybe it also fit the "extreme sports" category

Wow, they look kind of like perfectly round Bocci tomatoes?  ???

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 11:23 »

Wow, they look kind of like perfectly round Bocci tomatoes?  ???

Hmm, why they are not red?
(Je tire ou je pointe?)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:26 by Beppe Grillo »

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 12:48 »
You have to grill them very well to become red.

(Je tire ou je pointe?)

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 15:59 »

(Je tire ou je pointe?)

I like this photo and sure it sells great.

To add some debate I wouldn't have really described it as a travel photo. It may be a photo you took whilst travelling. Maybe if there was more background that identified the actual location. i.e. blurred effiel tower in background.

If I travelled to Spain and took a photo of a golf ball would that be a travel photo ?

Does a "travel photo" mean one you'd expect to see in a travel advert ? or some other definition ?

I'm just interested in what people consider to be "travel photos"

RacePhoto

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 01:57 »

(Je tire ou je pointe?)

I like this photo and sure it sells great.

To add some debate I wouldn't have really described it as a travel photo. It may be a photo you took whilst travelling. Maybe if there was more background that identified the actual location. i.e. blurred effiel tower in background.

If I travelled to Spain and took a photo of a golf ball would that be a travel photo ?

Does a "travel photo" mean one you'd expect to see in a travel advert ? or some other definition ?

I'm just interested in what people consider to be "travel photos"

Nope I wouldn't consider it travel, I can find people in the park here lawn bowling or playing Bocci Ball. I suppose if you traveled to Wisconsin, it's would be, instead of local? LOL

And that has nothing to say critical or negative about your photo or the idea. Interesting how sometimes an odd unexpected shot will sell? Nice perspective, someone could use the same angles and composition for a steak or a chicken. (or tomatoes?) Works well and attractive. Nothing wrong with creative, instead of the standard cookie cutter Micro shots.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 03:03 »

And what if you don't travel in Spain, but you live there?  :)