MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Image Deactivation Tally for iStockPhoto  (Read 94338 times)

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52 »
I still think having a day where we all start deleting together would send a strong message. 

Do you honestly believe that? I doubt it very much. I think personally the only person you will harm will be yourself, by dropping your income. If you're really p*** off, why not leave completely, surely that would be more positive. They must get thousands of uploads a day, many many thousands, a couple of thousand being deactivated, what will that do? I don't want to sound negative, but this is doomed to failure.

So what action do you suggest to take?

lisafx

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56 »
+3
I still think having a day where we all start deleting together would send a strong message. 

Do you honestly believe that? I doubt it very much. I think personally the only person you will harm will be yourself, by dropping your income. If you're really p*** off, why not leave completely, surely that would be more positive. They must get thousands of uploads a day, many many thousands, a couple of thousand being deactivated, what will that do? I don't want to sound negative, but this is doomed to failure.

So what action do you suggest to take?

Whining and b_itching and talking about how Getty has us by the balls, if his other posts are any indication.

Vlad has been an apologist for Getty for years, and now he's only just managed to realize they are not out for his best interest.   Taking concrete action is too scary for him to contemplate.... ::)

lisafx

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57 »
I'm gonna try and hold off until Feb 2 for more deleting, or at least the main earners in my port.  I still think having a day where we all start deleting together would send a strong message.

I've deleted 7 so far, the site is painfully slow for me.

Where did this date of Feb 2nd as 'Deactivate Day' come from? I haven't seen any other references to it.

Total tally now at 490.

Try installing Sean's greasemonkey script.  You can fly through deactivations in no time flat. 
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=350491&messageid=6818805#post6818805]
[url]http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=350491&messageid=6818805#post6818805
[/url]

I believe Elena was the one to mention in the other thread that Feb 2 would be two weeks from the date this was discovered and enough time for Getty to come up with an appropriate response. 

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58 »
+1 = 492

Just trying out deactivation, as I was not sure I could deactivate Photo+ files  (it worked).

Does Sean's script work in IE9 ?  if yes, how? 

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 08:59 »
+2
I'm gonna try and hold off until Feb 2 for more deleting, or at least the main earners in my port.  I still think having a day where we all start deleting together would send a strong message. 

Feb 2 sounds good for me too.  I think have a collective day is a good idea s well.  It will be more of a drastic drop in numbers instead of a steady flow.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 08:59 »

I could delete all my files today and they wouldn't even blink. It would hurt me much more than it hurt them. But if several high-selling contributors also did it, that would be a serious wake-up call.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02 »
+2
If some major contributors *did* agree to a mass deactivation of files on the 2 Feb that would encourage more contributors to take part, send a concerted message to Getty / istock and possibly provide the 'hook' for press / journalistic interest too.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 09:03 »
I believe Elena was the one to mention in the other thread that Feb 2 would be two weeks from the date this was discovered and enough time for Getty to come up with an appropriate response.
In Pedant Mode, three weeks ...
(as you were)

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04 »
+2
I had a few minutes to kill so I killed another 20 images

running total: 512

I'll try to resist doing more until Feb.2

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09 »
I am saving the confirmation e-mails for every deactivation in a separate folder.  It's proof of the date of deactivation.  Might come in handy if they throw another bunch of files on the market for free and one of the deactivated files is on the list.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 09:10 »
+1
Where is Yuri? Are you reading this? Tell us what you think?

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14 »
1 image left in portfolio. 1 ticket open to check/ensure that all images are removed from PP as well. Sad, messy weekend. My wife decided for me ;-)

lisafx

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 09:15 »
In Pedant Mode, three weeks ...
(as you were)

Ooops!  Thanks Liz.

lisafx

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17 »

Seriously.  Nothing from Yuri, Andres, etc.  Possibly they are pursuing this through legal channels already.  If there is a pending suit their lawyers would have probably advised them not to speak publicly. 

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17 »
+5
But if several high-selling contributors also did it, that would be a serious wake-up call.

Forget about several high-selling contributors. This time it is completely different than their shenanigans in the past. It is a question whether one wants to wake up one fine day and find out that their complete portfolio is suddenly completely worthless, just a collection of worthless pixels.
Well, I don't. And I don't care whether high selling contributors deactivate or not.

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20 »
Can anyone fill me in as to why they are deactivating images before the February 2nd date? Is it those that you don't want released in similar deals before that time, or is there another reason?

I have 6600+ ready to be pulled on February 2nd as part of the group initiative. But, if there is a reason I should pull some early I'm prepared to do so.

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25 »
+1
For me the reason is simple: there might be more scams already in the pipeline.
Feb 2nd gives them too much time. They should have reacted on Friday. Well, they reacted, but that was the wrong kind of reaction.

lisafx

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26 »
Can anyone fill me in as to why they are deactivating images before the February 2nd date? Is it those that you don't want released in similar deals before that time, or is there another reason?

I have 6600+ ready to be pulled on February 2nd as part of the group initiative. But, if there is a reason I should pull some early I'm prepared to do so.

Speaking for myself, I was just trying out Sean's script and got carried away.  I am still planning to participate in the Feb 2 mass deactivation.

Hopefully the word will spread about the group action of Feb 2 and we can get enough people on board to represent a large portion of the library.   

rubyroo

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 09:28 »
February 2nd is a Saturday. 

Wouldn't it be more powerful to have a mass deactivation on a business day?

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30 »

Speaking for myself, I was just trying out Sean's script and got carried away.  I am still planning to participate in the Feb 2 mass deactivation.

Hopefully the word will spread about the group action of Feb 2 and we can get enough people on board to represent a large portion of the library.

Yes, I posted in the istock forum that I was on board with this initiative.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 15:03 by jbryson »

lisafx

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 09:31 »
+2

If we start debating which day to do it, we will never get anything done.  Do it when you want or do it with the group on Feb 2.  Up to you.  :)

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33 »
+2

Seriously.  Nothing from Yuri, Andres, etc.  Possibly they are pursuing this through legal channels already.  If there is a pending suit their lawyers would have probably advised them not to speak publicly.

Hey,  How about crowd sourcing an attorney for a class action lawsuit.  No one contributor would get much but getty could be hit harder.   

500 artist were subjected to this ruse.  There is no way it's legally okay.   

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34 »
+1

How about fri at 4:30 calgary time so they have time to see what happened but not do anything about it, like they always do to contributors? :-)

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 09:36 »
+4
I predict the site will go down on February 2nd due to planned "upgrades".  ;D

lisafx

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37 »
I predict the site will go down on February 2nd due to planned "upgrades".  ;D

I wondered the same thing.  Something that would disable greasemonkey for instance?