MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: D-Day (Deactivation Day) on Istock - Feb 2  (Read 221569 times)

« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2013, 10:39 »
+10
I think Getty would take more notice if buyers were involved as well.  I'd like to see them not buy from istock on February 2end or only buy from exclusives.  I'd also like to see those that only use istock commit to trying another site.

« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2013, 10:47 »
Good point!

rubyroo

« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48 »
Yes indeed - has anyone heard from any buyers on this?

lisafx

« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2013, 10:49 »
I think Getty would take more notice if buyers were involved as well.  I'd like to see them not buy from istock on February 2end or only buy from exclusives.  I'd also like to see those that only use istock commit to trying another site.

Brilliant!  It would be great to buyers participate.  Maybe add close their accounts to the list of possible things they could do. 

Let's try to get the word out to buyers to boycott on that day.  Great thinking Sharpshot!

lisafx

« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51 »
I vote Lisa for President (joint President with Sean of course!).

LOL!  Thanks, but NO THANKS!  I'd be happy to carry President Locke's water for him, and maybe light his cigars ;D

« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2013, 10:52 »

Brilliant!  It would be great to buyers participate.  Maybe add close their accounts to the list of possible things they could do. 

Let's try to get the word out to buyers to boycott on that day.  Great thinking Sharpshot!

Great idea, but unfortunately it's a Saturday...

Batman

« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2013, 11:08 »
+1
I vote Lisa for President (joint President with Sean of course!).

LOL!  Thanks, but NO THANKS!  I'd be happy to carry President Locke's water for him, and maybe light his cigars ;D

President and Vice President I'll vote for both of you.

« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39 »
+2
So the D-Day threats have been answered by Getty with 14 more images added to Google Drive on Thursday?

http://www.microstockgroup.com/istockphoto-com/google-giving-photos-away-free-for-commercial-use-and-istock-agrees/825/

I suspect that on February 4th (which is a Monday), Getty will respond to the mass deactivation by adding thousands more images to Google.

No big corporation would want to get into an open fight with its suppliers so I'd bet Getty does nothing on Feb 4. Regardless of whether or not it is concerned over the rebellion it would not want to be SEEN to be concerned.

« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2013, 11:41 »

If my stats were anything to go by I'd say the buyers have already left. I haven't actually had a sale at IS since 7pm MST on the 18th Jan. That's nearly 2 days! I haven't done that since I started there.

Poncke

« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05 »
In 2009 people called for an organisation of photographers to be formed http://www.microstockgroup.com/general-stock-discussion/photographers-bill-of-rights-in-microstock-ya-legal-problems/msg82871/#msg82871

It seems its just too complex and too difficult to get this started up. Or noone feels called to put in the work.

« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14 »
Perhaps we could frame the buyer protest a little differently? Some buyers will have credits to use up and if they can't get refunds, there's no reason for them to just give that money to iStock

How about setting the last weekday before D-Day as one to use up all your credits and close your account? Make February 1st Buy-and-Bye Day (or something catchier)?

It'll be harder for corporate accounts to do something like this as decisions get made by people other than the art buyer (and often made slowly).

What does a buyer lose if they close their account? A history of what they've bought - do they have any rights to re-download something previously purchased and lost (I seem to remember that being added sometime in the last year or two)?

The lower the pain for the buyer to join in the protest, the more buyers will likely be willing to participate.

« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2013, 13:10 »
What does a buyer lose if they close their account? A history of what they've bought - do they have any rights to re-download something previously purchased and lost (I seem to remember that being added sometime in the last year or two)?

Yes, closing would mean losing the history plus the option to re-download.

« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2013, 13:39 »
Perhaps we could frame the buyer protest a little differently? Some buyers will have credits to use up and if they can't get refunds, there's no reason for them to just give that money to iStock

How about setting the last weekday before D-Day as one to use up all your credits and close your account? Make February 1st Buy-and-Bye Day (or something catchier)?

It'll be harder for corporate accounts to do something like this as decisions get made by people other than the art buyer (and often made slowly).

The lower the pain for the buyer to join in the protest, the more buyers will likely be willing to participate.
Good idea, but may-be not on Feb.1st.  If this get much reponse, it will look like a sales boost.  So why not ask buyers to use up their credits "before then end of January", and close their accounts on Feb.1st ?

« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2013, 13:44 »
+3
I deleted my entire port of 1800 plus the other day but did not mention the total here. So you can add 1800

« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2013, 14:22 »
We need to think of a hash tag for deactivation day so that all the posts on twitter and elsewhere can be tracked.

Poncke

« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2013, 14:25 »
I think hashtags are very simple, call it what it is. #deactivationday
 #deactivateistock #deactivategetty

« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2013, 15:34 »
+1

I accidentally did that.  I sent an email to my CN (excluding the ones that I know for sure are aware of this), pointing to a link of Sean's blog post, and mentioning Deactivation Day, and that I would no longer be uploading to iStock and in fact deactivating my images and probably closing the account soon and going elsewhere.  I left my personal email address.   After I did that, I realized that a couple of regular buyers were in my CN.  Oops.  Oh well.

« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2013, 15:38 »
+11

I accidentally did that.  I sent an email to my CN (excluding the ones that I know for sure are aware of this), pointing to a link of Sean's blog post, and mentioning Deactivation Day, and that I would no longer be uploading to iStock and in fact deactivating my images and probably closing the account soon and going elsewhere.  I left my personal email address.   After I did that, I realized that a couple of regular buyers were in my CN.  Oops.  Oh well.

I have informed my marketing design department of this situation and asked that they transition their business to SS. I work for a 2bil $$ company who is big on visual management so we use a load of stock images.

« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2013, 16:52 »
+1

I think it is really awesome and amazing that so many people in this diverse group are willing to act together on one day.  It has never happened before in microstock, so it is historic. 

I prefer to appreciate and praise everyone's individual efforts rather than focusing on who's doing more or less.  Let's choose to see this glass as half full, shall we?  This is the time to come together and any divisiveness just undermines the whole effort.

That's brilliant, fully support that (my 2c)  :)

mlwinphoto

« Reply #319 on: January 20, 2013, 19:19 »
+3

Based on my recent experience the buyers beat us to it and have already left.

« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2013, 19:50 »
Today is the first I have heard of this, I'm not in any of the forums much.  It would seem to be a way of sending a message that perhaps won't be commented on much, but will alert them to the level of discontent (surely they already know, but this is a bold statement).
I do have to ask a sincere question, especially of those who are exclusive with very large portfolios.  Since you are exclusive, all your eggs are in one basket at this time.  Is it really worth dumping all the thousands of hours spent building your portfolio, not to mention the significant monthly income to make such a point?  Not arguing, but I have no time or energy to reload my 7000 photos anywhere else (especially when I would be worried that most companies will have similar issues in the future it they don't yet).  I read a great deal of dissatisfaction in other microstock company forums.  The grass is perhaps greener, but will it remain? I think not.  I fear microstock has irreversibly entered the  world of big business, maximum profits with minimal cost to suppliers (us).   I am sure many of you will follow through and deactivate real sellers, not just 2005 images that clearly do not reflect your current standard of excellence, but don't sell anyway.  But the thought runs through my head that I could jump in and deactivate a few hundred that have never sold, make myself feel better, but iStock will recognize exactly what I am doing and not feel at all bad about it.  I respect your decision, but it seems a little like shooting yourself in the foot unless you have little or nothing to lose.  Multiply your anticipated total de-activations by 5 and iStock will fill those slots in very short order with new uploads, ti won't even be a blip on their graph.  Not defending iStock/Getty or disagreeing with your cause and passion.  Just asking if you really think it will change the way things work there, and is it worth it to you personally?

« Reply #321 on: January 20, 2013, 20:07 »
raclro, you're right in some major ways. But it's more complicated.

A major kickback - especially a legal action - might inhibit other agencies from doing similar things in the future.  Might. At least the smaller ones, for a while.  Once they get big enough that they feel they can dump on contributors, and need to post some big numbers in a hurry, all bets are off, as you point out.

I don't think it would affect Getty one bit at this point.  They seem to be running somewhat out of control, because this 'deal' seems a bit crazy.

Consider also that if/when Getty essentially releases some of your images into the public domain, you won't get them back.  And people with model shots have some other, serious concerns about the unrestricted use of their photos by people who paid nothing and care even less.

Just the humble opinions of a small potato.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 20:17 by stockastic »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2013, 20:16 »
Interesting post by Bill Brooks over on Alamy's forum:
"I think this will work for Getty, if history is any indication. As the market leader, I think Getty can set the terms of business, and other stock libraries have to follow.

Around 2002 Getty reset the terms of the stock business, and most full time professional stock photographers found that they could not make a living. Professional stock photographers protested, formed the Stock Artists Alliance, and Getty responded with statements like "we are not the photographers friend". Full time professional stock photographers mainly went out of the stock business. They turned to assignments, books, blogs, teaching, to generate their main income. They made beer money from the occasional stock image produced as a byproduct of their non stock photographic activities.

Getty were able to keep new images flowing through istockphoto and Flickr. Amateur istockphoto photographers felt good about putting professionals out of business.

I think Getty is again resetting the terms of business. This time I think it is the microstock photographers that will feel the pinch. In my opinion the move of Getty's part is entirely legal and not outrageous at all.

I think the internet end game is to have all intellectual property free of charge. Internet sites make money by offering freebies to the general public. To obtain the freebie you have to give up personal information and agree to be monitored by your devices. The information collected is used by advertisers to target individuals with custom advertising sent through their devices. This is where the money is. As an example of device monitoring, I sometimes use a free translation app on my iPhone. It is so useful that I would have paid big bucks for the app, but got it for free instead. The translation app sends advertising for products and services to my iphone every time I use the app. The advertising is so accurate, that I realized the translating computer, somewhere in cyberspace, is reading my translating requests and determining my preferences. Accurate personal information on users is where the money is. No using the translation app in foreign bordellos.

The money is in offering the public free intellectual property as an inducement for the public to give up their personal information.

Free stock photos are part of that trend. I think Getty understands the internet."

« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2013, 20:19 »
Today is the first I have heard of this, I'm not in any of the forums much.  It would seem to be a way of sending a message that perhaps won't be commented on much, but will alert them to the level of discontent (surely they already know, but this is a bold statement).
I do have to ask a sincere question, especially of those who are exclusive with very large portfolios.  Since you are exclusive, all your eggs are in one basket at this time.  Is it really worth dumping all the thousands of hours spent building your portfolio, not to mention the significant monthly income to make such a point?  Not arguing, but I have no time or energy to reload my 7000 photos anywhere else (especially when I would be worried that most companies will have similar issues in the future it they don't yet).  I read a great deal of dissatisfaction in other microstock company forums.  The grass is perhaps greener, but will it remain? I think not.  I fear microstock has irreversibly entered the  world of big business, maximum profits with minimal cost to suppliers (us).   I am sure many of you will follow through and deactivate real sellers, not just 2005 images that clearly do not reflect your current standard of excellence, but don't sell anyway.  But the thought runs through my head that I could jump in and deactivate a few hundred that have never sold, make myself feel better, but iStock will recognize exactly what I am doing and not feel at all bad about it.  I respect your decision, but it seems a little like shooting yourself in the foot unless you have little or nothing to lose.  Multiply your anticipated total de-activations by 5 and iStock will fill those slots in very short order with new uploads, ti won't even be a blip on their graph.  Not defending iStock/Getty or disagreeing with your cause and passion.  Just asking if you really think it will change the way things work there, and is it worth it to you personally?

It must be very anguishing, being an exclusive right now - I feel for you.  I just have a couple comments.   If you are curious about your options, contact the other agencies and from what I understand, the most important ones will accept a drive and help you with getting your photos online.

On another note, if you have people photos in these programs now or in the future, how will you feel if a photo of your child has been downloaded by a pedophile or a dating site and they claim "it's public domain - I can do what I want" because that is what your exif will say.  Also, you may be subject to lawsuits by your models - you may feel you are not in the wrong - but they will sue you and Getty and Google and you will still have to lawyer up.

« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2013, 20:23 »
+2
Is Bill Brooks some big name, or someone that's supposed to know something? 

"I think the internet end game is to have all intellectual property free of charge." Sure, that's what 18 year olds say while they're downloading from Pirate Bay.  And it's not exactly a new idea.  Is it supposed to make sense somehow, in the real, grown-up world?