pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: D-Day (Deactivation Day) on Istock - Feb 2  (Read 223194 times)

« Reply #825 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04 »
Up further on this page, Jsnover posted a link to the GreaseMonkey script that Sean made.  :)

« Reply #826 on: February 02, 2013, 04:11 »
+9
OK, I really had fun this morning :  instead of the (promised) 500, I deactivated 1052.  I first did the sensitive ones (photos of which I knew the models would really hate to be given away for free), and then I added lots of old stuff, just to add some "bulk".  Old stuff, because that way I won't be tempted to reactivate them afterwards. 
Whoever is doing any counting, I did 552 more than listed.

« Reply #827 on: February 02, 2013, 04:30 »
+3
I pledged to deactivate 500 but lost count and ended up doing 547.

« Reply #828 on: February 02, 2013, 04:32 »
Hey, i want to deactivate my files too, but how can i do this?

Microbius

« Reply #829 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35 »
Hey, i want to deactivate my files too, but how can i do this?
Click on the image then the "administration" tab, you get a deactivate option there. Alternatively use Sean's greasemonkey script.

« Reply #830 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11 »
+1
So, i have deactivated all files with 1 or more downloads. = 120 of 200

« Reply #831 on: February 02, 2013, 05:12 »
+7
Deactivated a few, mainly as support to al the great fighters here and as a sign to iStock.

« Reply #832 on: February 02, 2013, 05:22 »
+4
I deactivated 26 today (as I had already removed about 200 a few weeks ago).

« Reply #833 on: February 02, 2013, 05:25 »
Google is a big company, much bigger than Getty Images, and coordinating across the teams

Translated to human language: They are bigger - they ignore us, we are bigger - we ignore you.
That's what we call: "System of falling bul***it.

« Reply #834 on: February 02, 2013, 05:31 »
+3
I removed 260 illustrations from my small portfolio there.
(I am not uploading on istock for several years, I really need to see significant changes
to resume upload there.).

And thanks for the script.

« Reply #835 on: February 02, 2013, 05:41 »
"To use the iStock interface, bring up an image's page and at the bottom is an Administration link. Deactivate is there"

I see no Admin link....

?????

« Reply #836 on: February 02, 2013, 05:46 »
+2
It's under the photo details on the right of the image Sarah. But check that you are logged in, I've been logged out several times today.

« Reply #837 on: February 02, 2013, 05:47 »
"To use the iStock interface, bring up an image's page and at the bottom is an Administration link. Deactivate is there"

I see no Admin link....

?????

Are you signed in? Bottom right are three links - Ratings, Administration and Metadata - but only when you're signed in

Microbius

« Reply #838 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48 »

I see no Admin link....

?????
Also it is on the normal image page when logged in, not on the "edit" page, that is where I got caught out at first.

« Reply #839 on: February 02, 2013, 05:49 »

I see no Admin link....

??? ??
Also it is on the normal image page when logged in, not on the "edit" page, that is where I got caught out at first.
Yes, you have to click on the image thumbnail, not on "edit" or on the image NUMBER.

« Reply #840 on: February 02, 2013, 05:55 »
+2
I said I would do at least one, I've deleted eight. They're not files that istock or I will notice have gone but at least it adds one name to the list of contributors taking some action. I gave the reason on each one as "protest"

« Reply #841 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58 »
Thanks all but especially Anyka - I was on thumbnail and/or edit!
:)

« Reply #842 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58 »
I'm having a little problem with the deactivation process.  I used the traditional method at first and everything worked fine.  I then installed Sean's Grease Monkey Script and used that.  It seemed to work, but my total file count did not change and the images are still there.  Does this method take longer to process?

« Reply #843 on: February 02, 2013, 06:01 »
+5
The deed is done.
Reason given:

O, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

by Sir Walter Scott, not Shakespeare

« Reply #844 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04 »
+3
I have deactivate more than 100 photos.

I think we shound mantain the pressure, schedule the second D-Day ... until we have answers from IS/Getty.

« Reply #845 on: February 02, 2013, 06:10 »
+3
The deed is done.
Reason given:

O, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

by Sir Walter Scott, not Shakespeare
You won the prize for most poetic deactivation!

« Reply #846 on: February 02, 2013, 06:11 »
I'm having a little problem with the deactivation process.  I used the traditional method at first and everything worked fine.  I then installed Sean's Grease Monkey Script and used that.  It seemed to work, but my total file count did not change and the images are still there.  Does this method take longer to process?
That's weird.  I did a little test, but my total count goes down within seconds after deactivating a file, and I receive the deactivation e-mail within a minute.

« Reply #847 on: February 02, 2013, 06:31 »
That's weird.  I did a little test, but my total count goes down within seconds after deactivating a file, and I receive the deactivation e-mail within a minute.
Also for me, it worked almost instantly without any problems.

« Reply #848 on: February 02, 2013, 06:41 »
+3
Hello all.
It's really important that the MSG exists for stock contributors. All this action and movement these last weeks is a really hopeful thing.
I put here an answer i received yesterday from istock admin.
Not clear at all and not answering to my specific questions...
In addition to all this D-Day thing & social movement from contributors, I believe if all contributors write this kind of message on his part to the contact support (and not only in the forums), it could have moreover a mass impact and will prove that a lot of people are feeling concerned, and that we are not only stupid sheeps uploading blindly and without any awareness of our interests.

Here is an answer I received from istock staff yesterday about the google drive deal :

Issue/Question:
Hello,
I write as a contributor because i would like to ask some questions concerning some recent news i've read about istock, Getty and the google drive thing.
From what i've understood, is it true that in the future, Google drive users will be able to download for free thousands of HR jpg images from istock, and use it inside their work even for commercial use ?
What are the limitations ? Does that concern every istock artists (exclusive and regular) ? Will there be an option for illustrators to easily opt out of this ?
I don't know and understand for the moment all the implications and involvements in this, but it sounds pretty worrying for us contributors and that\'s why i\'m feeling concerned and needed to ask these few questions...
Looking forward to read you.
Regards
xxx

--

Comment:
Hello Benoit,
Thanks for reaching out.
I can understand your concerns however, as mentioned in the forums, this is the first step in what we hope will be a great partnership with Google.
We are working to resolve some of the implementation shortfalls and should have an update on those very soon.
Google Drive users can indeed use these images for commercial work but it must remain within a Google Drive product.
Please keep an eye out for a newsletter early next week for any additional updates on this.
Regards,
xxxx

« Reply #849 on: February 02, 2013, 06:43 »
+1
So stupid:

Google Drive users can indeed use these images for commercial work but it must remain within a Google Drive product.

And who will control this???