MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Stocksy is Alive  (Read 78581 times)

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 14:28 »
Interesting pricing. I've had success selling small sized images at those prices, but the top end stuff might be a little pricey.

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 14:30 »
+7
I do like the approach though with the real names and faces of the contributors and a page so you can see all the contributors at a glance. It gives it that home grown, organic feel, it says who the real people are behind it all, gives it an honest and approachable feel, and I think that will appeal to designers.

aspp

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 14:32 »
+2
Wow. Quite a few ex Istock inspectors are there.

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 14:32 »

Looks like it's not image exclusive, as was speculated earlier. At least as far as I can tell. Some of Simon's stuff is the same stuff I've seen elsewhere, including the famous twitter bird.

I can't find the same images on other sites.  Lots are ones that used to be on istock but they aren't there any more.  Can you see any selling on other sites?

http://www.stocksy.com/asset/4806

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-5594825-amazonian-butterflies-behind-glass.php?st=a3bc3a2

That's interesting.  I wonder if he's leaving istock?  I don't know if he was exclusive there but I can't see his portfolio on other sites.  Might be the usual problems getting images off istock?

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 14:36 »
+4
Very strange collection. Shallow dof, cross processed, snapshottish compositions.
I do not like it, but that doesnt matter as long as the customers do, and I suppose those folks know what they are doing.

Certainly not the same collection as on the other agencies, although I can see where they got the inspiration from.
I would not know what and how to shoot to make pictures like that.

EmberMike

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 14:41 »
That's interesting.  I wonder if he's leaving istock?  I don't know if he was exclusive there but I can't see his portfolio on other sites.  Might be the usual problems getting images off istock?

Doesn't matter, because he has this on Shutterstock and it's also on Stocksy. As well as several other images.

Was it ever confirmed by someone at Stocksy that they are image-exclusive? I can't find anything on the Stocksy site saying that.

And sorry, Simon, to be picking on your stuff. It's just some of the easiest work to find elsewhere because I know where to look (SS and istock).

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 14:43 »
The site is a bit slow for me... and no mouseover previews? Having to click each image to see a larger preview feels a bit old fashioned.

And the style they're looking for seems to mean that they're not really competing with the other agencies. And no vectors... no video, no audio.

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 14:44 »
The total amount of content might be a bit light for a full on site launch though. They have just under 120 contributors and perhaps about 50,000 images online or less. That probably does not offer enough subject coverage yet to make it a worthwhile stop for designers yet. They will have to grow that a bit more first I think.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 14:46 »
+3
Awesome site! I love how blocky/minimal it is.

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 14:46 »
+2
 It's great to see such beautiful images. Definitely a great collection.

stocked

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 14:48 »

Was it ever confirmed by someone at Stocksy that they are image-exclusive? I can't find anything on the Stocksy site saying that.

Confirmed loud and clearly!

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 14:58 »
+1

I think they should state it in their home page "All images exclusive", or something like that. That's an interesting information for customers.

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 15:10 »
+2
They can't be exclusive if some people have the same images on other sites.  Is it just a mistake?  Seems hard to believe it can be a mistake because it's so easy to find images on other sites but it must of been chaos doing the launch, so I wouldn't be surprised.

EmberMike

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 15:16 »

Where exactly?

stocked

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 15:18 »

Where exactly?
Blog, Forum, Guide etc.

EmberMike

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 15:23 »
Blog, Forum, Guide etc.

Unless I'm reading the wrong blog, the Stocksy blog only has 1 entry and it says nothing about exclusivity.

And this forum is obviously not a direct source.

Can I ask for a link to where any of this is stated?

Thanks

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 15:24 »
+1
dude, it is image exclusivity.  :D

mattdixon

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 15:27 »
Blog, Forum, Guide etc.

Unless I'm reading the wrong blog, the Stocksy blog only has 1 entry and it says nothing about exclusivity.

And this forum is obviously not a direct source.

Can I ask for a link to where any of this is stated?

Thanks

http://www.stocksy.com/blog/30

EmberMike

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 15:27 »
+2

According to who? Us?

I assumed it was, like everyone else here, but I see nothing on the website about it, and obviously there are images on the site that are available elsewhere. I'm just asking for a little official confirmation, or a link to something that confirms the exclusive policy. Something other than just forum chatter.

EmberMike

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 15:28 »
+1

For some reason that link goes back to the homepage for me.

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 15:32 »
If it's image exclusive, is it RF-type of exclusivity and can you sell the same image as prints and posters on third-party sites?
AFAIK iStock exclusives are able to do so, because the exclusivity is limited only to (RF) licensing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 15:35 by Snufkin »

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 15:36 »
+2

if so why the example Mike talked about on the 1st page ::)

p.s. OMG what is the problem with my entry? get a life guys, have I offended anybody???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 15:40 by luissantos84 »

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 15:38 »

For some reason that link goes back to the homepage for me.

I suspect you need to be logged in to see some of the site features. Not much showing to me either atm.

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 15:39 »
The total amount of content might be a bit light for a full on site launch though. They have just under 120 contributors and perhaps about 50,000 images online or less. That probably does not offer enough subject coverage yet to make it a worthwhile stop for designers yet. They will have to grow that a bit more first I think.

I Agree, and only 2,200 people images... a bit tiny for a launch.

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 15:45 »
I dropped istock exclusivity a short while ago but haven't got around to uploading elsewhere yet except for an initial submission to Alamy (which was accepted). Yesterday I found a link on Stocksy to send an email if interested in contributing, but doesn't seem to be there today, just one link to create an account. I doubt that my style would suit Stocksy but as its image exclusivity if they want anything I guess I should offer it there first. Anyone know how to go about it now?