pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: CMS Account script - Invoice VAT specification  (Read 5899 times)

« on: April 02, 2013, 08:01 »
So, I bought CMSAccount's photostock script the other day, and I'm running into a little problem.

In the admin panel (Settings > Taxes) I can specify when to apply VAT on my automated invoices. It says:

- All countries
- USA
- Canada

But for tax purposes I need to be able to specify whether the customer is a business or an individual and if it's located within the European Union or outside of the European Union. The option 'Reversed charge' would be useful as well.

Is there anyone from Europe who uses this script, let me know how you handle this.

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50 »
So, I bought CMSAccount's photostock script the other day, and I'm running into a little problem.

In the admin panel (Settings > Taxes) I can specify when to apply VAT on my automated invoices. It says:

- All countries
- USA
- Canada

But for tax purposes I need to be able to specify whether the customer is a business or an individual and if it's located within the European Union or outside of the European Union. The option 'Reversed charge' would be useful as well.

Is there anyone from Europe who uses this script, let me know how you handle this.

I think to make things less complicated you can turn taxes "off"

- you don't have to advertise that you are charging customers taxes..
- but set your prices high enough to compensate the tax % you are going to pay..

if you are paying %30 tax, then set your prices %30 higher..

I didn't notice any stock agencies mentioning taxes to buyers, why would you?

I think that feature exists more for "physical products"..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:59 by cidepix »

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:02 »

- All countries
- USA
- Canada

- but set your prices high enough to compensate the tax % you are going to pay..

I'm afraid it's not that simple in my situation. Dutch tax laws require me to list VAT (if applicable) on a invoice, if it's an individual or a non-VAT-registered entity inside the EU. Or else I could get fined for sending out faulty invoices.

Stock agencies don't mention the VAT, but I think it's applied during checkout, for UK/EU customers.
It also applies to electronic products.

I'm going to check on the CMSAccount forums to see if they can help me. Thanks anyway!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:07 by Noedelhap »

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22 »

- All countries
- USA
- Canada

I'm afraid it's not that simple in my situation. Dutch tax laws require me to list VAT (if applicable) on a invoice, if it's an individual or a non-VAT-registered entity inside the EU. Or else I could get fined for sending out faulty invoices.

Stock agencies don't mention the VAT, but I think it's applied during checkout, for UK/EU customers.

I'm going to check on the CMSAccount forums to see if they can help me. Thanks anyway!

this is what I found.. admin says "it will be implemented in a future version.."
http://www.cmsaccount.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1036&p=3559&hilit=tax#p3559

also, there is a good point made in that thread.. you probably can turn taxes "off" in the script and get "paypal" do what you want to do..

I think paypal provides the kind of service you are looking for.. in your paypal profile, check selling tools..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:28 by cidepix »

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:48 »

- All countries
- USA
- Canada

this is what I found.. admin says "it will be implemented in a future version.."
http://www.cmsaccount.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1036&p=3559&hilit=tax#p3559

also, there is a good point made in that thread.. you probably can turn taxes "off" in the script and get "paypal" do what you want to do..

I think paypal provides the kind of service you are looking for.. in your paypal profile, check selling tools..

Oh great, thanks!

I registered on the forums, so once my account is activated, I'll join in. Well, I'll just have to wait then for the new version.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:49 »
Couldn't wait for the update, so I changed the code myself.

Instead of only 'All countries', 'USA' and 'Canada', I added a 21% VAT option for each EU country. Took me a while to figure out how to edit the MySQL dump file and the related php files. I'm no expert at php/databases, but somehow it works.  8)

vlad_the_imp

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57 »
I added a 21% VAT option for each EU country

It's 20% in UK and varies in other EU countries

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 13:35 »
I added a 21% VAT option for each EU country

It's 20% in UK and varies in other EU countries

Yes, but I have to charge Dutch VAT on my invoices, which is 21%.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 13:42 by Noedelhap »

vlad_the_imp

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:55 »
I only added that comment as you said 'each EU country', just wanted to make sure you weren't charging the wrong amount.