MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Network Info: What To Share and See. IDEAS  (Read 14800 times)

Leo Blanchette

« on: April 17, 2013, 21:28 »
Please list ideas. When you set up your network, a lot of info will be fetched. Both by the central site (as a database for people to seek out network buddies) and site-to-site in sharing results and other things.

Please add a list of things that you'd like to have available to network.

Can be practical or fun.

For instance:

1. Images in Portfolio.
2. Location of operation.
3. Photographer/illustrator/whatever.
4. Likes Koi fish more than puppies...

Please make a nice long thread of ideas. In the end we'll have plenty of practical things, fun, SEO bonuses...you name it. Networking will be the most powerful feature right beside SEO and hopefully independence...so have fun with this one.

When all is done, I will have a huge data-entry page.

Also you will be able to "tick" what you share and don't share, be it simple or more valuable information.

farbled

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 21:39 »
Hmm, I like that it's optional. I think I'd like to see networked results open in a new window so the user doesn't leave my site.

I like having a central list too, to find people to link to. And see who links to me (also optional).

I wonder, would it be possible to link to another user's specific categories? Since some 'togs have a wide range and all.... just a thought.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 21:45 »
+1
I like the idea of having a symbio database -- accessible from 'registered' sym bio site owners - each person can list he info they want to share:

network links  ( we can then create a graph of links)
  major emphasis (travel, people, business, model released, vectors, etc, etc)
  portfolio size
  search preferences (similar or complementary)

we have a start on this with the network page
http://cascoly.com/symbiostock-network.asp

each site can decide on how it wants to network -- for me, i'd like to find a network of similar sites - if I don't have what a user wants i'm happy to pass them on to other sites that have that content; the network depends on a symbiotic attitude that keeps the user in our network.  others may want only to link to sites that don't compete with what they offer
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 21:52 by cascoly »

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 21:57 »
Thats right you were the first one to start indexing this stuff.

portfolio size

-- Keep having ideas like that. Whether of statistical, SEO, search, or just fun value...just run with it.

The main site will use tons of it in populating info pages about your site, your network will utilize it, and individual items (or sets of items) will be turned off or on based on your desire to share or not.

Network results will not always be limited to 5, and they might function in different ways depending on search or place on the page.

farbled

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 22:08 »
+1
I think Cascoly nailed it. I'm looking for sites that are similar or complimentary. I dont mind sharing and competing. The better the network, the easier it'll be to get repeat customers to all of our sites.

I'd like to be able to update my info as needed, so some functionality would be good.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:45 »
i am in the process to set up a facebook and twitter page for my symbiostock to promote it,   I think it will be good to make facebook and twitter pages visible somewhere in the network

Laurent

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:32 »
i am in the process to set up a facebook and twitter page for my symbiostock to promote it,   I think it will be good to make facebook and twitter pages visible somewhere in the network

Laurent

Yep. Very important some social media visibility and some level of integration.

mattdixon

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:28 »
If this is going into a Symbiostock directory - info on the directory site I would like to see.

Site name + Logo
Brief description
Category - travel, lifestyle, food, illustration etc...
Portfolio size
Last updated - eg, 100 pics added in the last 30 days. Let customers know which sites are alive and which ones are dormant
Price range xsmall $1 - Xlarge $30 - whatever is set by users
Network size - totalled on the 5 slots

Rating - this site has 7 likes or +'s

Follow on Twitter, Google+, Facebook etc

See sample of featured images - click to preview 5 or so random featured images (thumbs).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:45 by mattdixon »

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51 »
If this is going into a Symbiostock directory - info on the directory site I would like to see.
<snip>

<snip>

Good list  but.... image price can be set per image not just across entire site..
Network size?  please explain what you mean here? 

farbled

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:03 »
I think instead of a ratings I'd prefer a comments field for customers. Ratings don't really give a reason why a site may be good or bad and can be trolled too easily.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45 »
Here's a million dollar pointer customers would choose sy over agencies if it were made fun for them similarly. Sy is like how one might choose farmers market over conventional supermarket. There must be ways to make it worth the trip in surprises and other interesting gimmicks. Perhaps there is a way to involve them too. At this point think outside of the box

farbled

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:53 »
Here's a million dollar pointer customers would choose sy over agencies if it were made fun for them similarly. Sy is like how one might choose farmers market over conventional supermarket. There must be ways to make it worth the trip in surprises and other interesting gimmicks. Perhaps there is a way to involve them too. At this point think outside of the box

I'm currently pitching to my potential SY customer base about supporting a small business. Luckily I know many of the people I pitch to, so I'm hopeful it'll pay off.

"The farmer's market of stock photography"

I like that. :)

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 15:38 »
Thats right you were the first one to start indexing this stuff.

portfolio size

-- Keep having ideas like that. Whether of statistical, SEO, search, or just fun value...just run with it.

The main site will use tons of it in populating info pages about your site, your network will utilize it, and individual items (or sets of items) will be turned off or on based on your desire to share or not.

Network results will not always be limited to 5, and they might function in different ways depending on search or place on the page.

is there an easy way to let us play with how the networked searches are done?  right now, you use the list of 5 we provide -- can you change this so it takes that list from somewhere we have control?  eg, search would use a separate list that is populated from the network list by default; but I would be able to enter a different list instead.

this would allow us to play with different strategies without you having to program each one

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 15:53 »
One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is network. That will be the funnest part of everything.

If possible though I want to know any remaining bugs to fix for a bit longer before I start expanding things again, and I have to improve search more.

mattdixon

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 16:13 »
<snip>

<snip>

Good list  but.... image price can be set per image not just across entire site..
Network size?  please explain what you mean here?

Lowest and highest price recorded.
Network size: If I have 100 pics and my 5 networked Symbio buddies have 100 pics each, network size would be 600.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 16:17 »
If I have 100 pics and my 5 networked Symbio buddies have 100 pics each, network size would be 600.

Network images total. I like that idea. Relative to your own site. VERY good idea.

mattdixon

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 17:15 »
I think instead of a ratings I'd prefer a comments field for customers. Ratings don't really give a reason why a site may be good or bad and can be trolled too easily.

They can't be trolled if it's a positive rating, "like" and nothing else, either the site has blank likes or a number of likes.

I like the idea of having lots of positive comments on my listing, but the internet can be a loony magnet. Comments will have to be policed, who will approve the comments? Unfortunately they have a tendency to attract spam.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 23:11 »
I am not too sure about the value of likes and/or positive comments at all. Do they really convince an image buyer to buy a particular image? Maybe it's good for SEO. I don't have clue. I definitely don't want to police comments for spam and trolling. But I'd have no trouble dealing with a few more tick-boxes (if necessary), so everyone can decide for their own.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 23:26 »
+1
I am not too sure about the value of likes and/or positive comments at all. Do they really convince an image buyer to buy a particular image? Maybe it's good for SEO. I don't have clue. I definitely don't want to police comments for spam and trolling. But I'd have no trouble dealing with a few more tick-boxes (if necessary), so everyone can decide for their own.
A wikianswers person tipped me off that comments were very valuable.

If a page grows in content, google keeps coming back to see whats new. If you have an education image, and someone comments that they want to use it for their "school, a project...and I have these questions..." it also improves semantic aspects, with the search engine recognizing this is more likely an image having to do with education on a given subject, and no doubt you get scores for interesting content as well. The reward in the end is more exposure to the properly targeted audience - thus the power of comments.

...if we can work out styling them better and making them more subtle- then maybe more people will be happy to include them.

In fact I've wanted to comment on quite a few images I've seen - and no doubt network buddies might want to do that sort of thing to help eachother.

Depending on how far you webmasterly people want to go, there are some nice books on the subject of SEO.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 23:39 »
A wikianswers person tipped me off that comments were very valuable.

If a page grows in content, google keeps coming back to see whats new. If you have an education image, and someone comments that they want to use it for their "school, a project...and I have these questions..." it also improves semantic aspects, with the search engine recognizing this is more likely an image having to do with education on a given subject, and no doubt you get scores for interesting content as well. The reward in the end is more exposure to the properly targeted audience - thus the power of comments.

...if we can work out styling them better and making them more subtle- then maybe more people will be happy to include them.

In fact I've wanted to comment on quite a few images I've seen - and no doubt network buddies might want to do that sort of thing to help eachother.

Depending on how far you webmasterly people want to go, there are some nice books on the subject of SEO.

Yes indeed, me too. If it's good for SEO, lets do it!

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 00:12 »
Just thinking out loud here, so forgive if what I say is dumb.

Just relating Sym to FAA. If I go and make comments about someone's artwork, they get a record of that on their page, so the page has grown in content, so Google goes back to see what's new. That person then says thanks, which is more content, and if I'm lucky they come and comment on my image, which makes my page grow, and I say thanks, so my page grows more, and Google comes back, and all this improves the ranking of my image on FAA website but at the same time improves the Google rank of FAA. Is that correct?

If that's correct, then the more we comment on each others work on our Sym sites, then the higher we will rank on Google.

FAA also have a busy forum - does that help SEO? If so, should we find a way to make all this talk on MSG help the ranking of Sym, maybe by moving the Sym forum to Sym.com? Or is it better for now to have the chat here to encourage others to set up on Sym?

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 00:20 »
You have the general idea. And the more social your site is, the better it will do.

I won't be moving forum stuff to symbiostock.com, although they can be used - the theory in having it here was to let the idea grow right in the middle of its target audience (microstock contributors) which was very helpful to the Symbiostock project, and also helpful in making yet another reason to visit MSG (we might call that the first Symbiotic relationship that started the whole thing :D )

mattdixon

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31 »
OK, you've talked me into it, another + for comments.
Can we make them way more discrete on the image pages - they're a touch shouty :-)

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40 »
Yep! They are completely prototype and unstyled. Unclassy.

Does someone want to donate a little time to the project and maybe get those looking good?

http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creative-coding/customizing-comments-in-wordpress-functionality-and-appearance/
http://87pixels.com/css/styling-wordpress-comments/

If you got creative you could make them collapsible too.

THP Creative

• THP Creative

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 03:14 »
I'll admit, I haven't read this whole post so I've probably missed a lot, but if comments are included, perhaps it can be visible, and commentable, only to registered users? Would Google SEO still like it then?

Would spammers bother to register to annoy and troll? Some will, but most wouldn't. And making them invisible in the first place, until you are registered, would not even alert anyone to the presence of comments with the intent to spam.

Just a thought.

Either way we get to decide to turn them on or off, so at least we all get what we want.