pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: keywording announcement - Fotolia  (Read 14610 times)

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« on: April 25, 2013, 19:00 »
did everyone get the email about keywording? Or is it something that goes out randomly?

Our search engine takes the order of the keywords into account as a way of determining the relevancy of each keyword. The most relevant keyword must come first, then the second, etc.

blah blah blah and then drops this small task
if your previous content was indexed with keywords in alphabetical order, no problem! You now have the possibility to review the keywords ordering for validated files. Go to "Manage my Files" when you are logged in, and click the "edit" link on the content you wish to review. Change the order of your keywords according to relevance, as stated above; validate the conditions; and click the "Submit and finish" button. Your content will be re-indexed and will appear to relevant search requests, ensuring you more sales.

gah!! I've got a small port and even I groaned at this.  I'm presuming the majority of us have kw in metadata so they just go in alphabetically. sometimes I grab 3 and click "move to top", sometimes i don't, especially when I use the indexing/batch process feature.

but I suppose I should do it, as FT have ensured me I'll get more sales. :o

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 19:16 »
I would say that such a feature is even counterproductive, since most peoples keywords come in alphabetically, and such would heavily randomize a weighted search.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 19:22 »
I really don't think that most people keyword alphabetically, why so? it makes no sense, ain't better to make sure you have at least the most important ones first and then you can dig a few more?

it is handy for FT, PM and also Alamy

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 19:46 »
they come in alphabetically. I use Bridge/Adobe Camera Raw and that's how they come in. sometimes they also come in with ";" instead of "," and there's one site (can't remember now) that doesn't like it.

so you have to then CMD select the 5 you like and "move to top". It's just another 6 mouseclicks to add to their upload process. #annoying

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 19:52 »
I really don't think that most people keyword alphabetically, why so? it makes no sense, ain't better to make sure you have at least the most important ones first and then you can dig a few more?

it is handy for FT, PM and also Alamy

If you use tools like yuri keyword tool it puts them alphabetically.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 19:57 »

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 20:03 »
+1
yes I use one of those (also use the SS one sometimes)

but you surely put the keywords in your metadata, along with title and description? you don't seriously cut n paste from a kw tool page for each site you upload to?? 

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 20:04 »
yes I use one of those (also use the SS one sometimes)

but you surely put the keywords in your metadata, along with title and description? you don't seriously cut n paste from a kw tool page for each site you upload to??

of course not, XnView once again ;D

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 20:07 »
+1
ah well if that works for you.... :) go for it.
but i'm not about to pay for another program to do something Bridge does for me, and makes no sense to my workflow.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 20:08 »
but i'm not about to pay for another program to do something Bridge does for me, and makes no sense to my workflow.

you need to read before posting, its freeware ;)

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 20:16 »
+1

you need to read before posting, its freeware ;)

oh but I did indeed read

XnView is provided as FREEWARE (NO Adware, NO Spyware) for private or educational use (including non-profit organizations).
If you enjoy using XnView, Don't hesitate to help the developer with a small donation.
that's not how i read that. I see they also say "If you intend to use XnView in a company, you should purchase a license." I guess it depends on how grey your "running a business Vs being an incorporated company" definition is. Forgive me, but aren't we all in the business of paying artists fairly for their work?

Also, I don't see a MAC version.........

but it's a moot point, I use Bridge. what's weird annoyingis that in Bridge they aren't alphabetical, but they land in Fotolia alphabetically!

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 20:21 »
YES I bought that a long time ago :)

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 20:36 »
+2
I'd rather have the ability to add and delete keywords.  I've sometimes found additional relevant keywords that I missed the first time around but they don't seem to let you add or delete once it's been accepted.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 21:18 »
+1
yes I've come up against that today too. I've just gone back through and checked a few randomly to see how good I've been with the "importance-ing" of keywords. Can't add more in, how odd!

sc

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 21:38 »

I use Bridge and it keeps my keywords in the order in enter them.

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 23:34 »
I use Bridge too, and order my keywords by relevance. On FT, they always show up in the order I entered them.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:44 »
+1
Here's the full email for anyone who didn't get it.

Dear contributor,

So that your uploaded files can appear in the right place at the right time, we would like to remind you of a few important indexing guidelines. Respecting these guidelines will increase your visibility and sales on the website, so please take a few minutes to read them.

Our search engine takes the order of the keywords into account as a way of determining the relevancy of each keyword. The most relevant keyword must come first, then the second, etc. Respecting this rule will ensure your images, vectors or videos appear first in search queries made by customers. And remember, there is no need to enter dozens of keywords. Most images can be indexed with 10 or 15 keywords (quality over quantity).

If your previous content was indexed with keywords in alphabetical order, no problem! You now have the possibility to review the keywords ordering for validated files. Go to "Manage my Files" when you are logged in, and click the "edit" link on the content you wish to review. Change the order of your keywords according to relevance, as stated above; validate the conditions; and click the "Submit and finish" button. Your content will be re-indexed and will appear to relevant search requests, ensuring you more sales.

Warning: contributors who try to push irrelevant keywords will be penalized and their portfolio may be blocked or removed.

Respecting these guidelines makes up 80% of good indexing practices, but here are a few more important tips:

- Index your files in one language only
- Compound words should be entered in the same line ("New York" and not "New" and "York")
- Plurals must be added only if it is relevant to the subject
- Do not add antonyms
- Do not add excessive synonyms
- The use of band names as keywords is strictly forbidden
- Proper names should be entered in your language
- Do not enter camera specifications or the type of content

Thank you for taking the time to read these guidelines, may your sales be plentiful in the coming months!

And some workflow tips using the MicrostockGroup tools

Using the keyword tool  When you search for images, the most popular keywords in the images you chose show up first and will appear first in your keyword list when you build it.  If you add keywords yourself, those keywords will be on top of everything.
http://microstockgroup.com/tools/keyword.php

I often build a 'base' set of keywords that will apply to essentially every image in a shoot, then use the keyword compare tool to build a specific list of words for an image.  If you have your base list in area 2, you can add new words to area 1.  Words that are the same in the two lists are given priority and show up first in the final list, then list one is given priority, then list 2.
http://microstockgroup.com/tools/keywordcompare.html

Microbius

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 02:29 »
Yay it wasn't just me! I thought I had got the email sent out for doing something wrong and couldn't spot the problem.

I keyword alphabetically and just take a couple of seconds per image bumping the most relevant keywords to the top on the FL site during the upload process.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08 »
I found it makes little difference to sales and is not worth the effort

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 04:11 »
I used  to do it and then it was said that it didn't make any difference so I stopped.  My newer images that are in alphabetical order sell much better than my older images that are in relevance order.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 05:07 »
+1
Yay it wasn't just me! I thought I had got the email sent out for doing something wrong and couldn't spot the problem.

I keyword alphabetically and just take a couple of seconds per image bumping the most relevant keywords to the top on the FL site during the upload process.
plus the "couple of seconds" to go through the laborious category listings, and try to find anything that fits. (Health and beauty - massage/facials etc is buried 3 deep)

it all adds up to a lot of clicks per image.

OM

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 06:18 »

Me too! Phew, just a circular!

I usually do my keywording in PS Elements6 and on arrival at FT keywords stay in the same order.
Same files sent to SS and the keywords appear alphabetically.
It seems there has always been debate about whether organising your top 6 keywords  for FT makes any difference compared to entering them alphabetically. I suppose that I have generally added them as requested by FT and not alphabetically. Consequently, I have no idea about what is true.

On a separate subject: Since recently I've been uploading actively ( a few every week) to FT and sales have increased from their previous doldrums level. So that seems to work.

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 10:05 »
did everyone get the email about keywording? 

This email is related in any way to the conversion of the relevance search some days ago. For most of you this has have no meaning, but for those that keywording in German for example , this change is a disaster. Revenues went down 50 %, often more, from one day to another. There are discussions of this issue in the German Fotolia Forum and the German Stock Photography forum.

lisafx

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 11:11 »
I've been keywording by relevance for years.  Not only does it help at Fotolia, but also at Alamy, where they have a separate section for the most important keywords.  I can just cut and past the first few words, rather than having to manually rethink what the most important ones are. 

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 13:04 »
+1
I've been keywording by relevance for years.  Not only does it help at Fotolia, but also at Alamy, where they have a separate section for the most important keywords.  I can just cut and past the first few words, rather than having to manually rethink what the most important ones are.

That's what I do.  My workflow is to keyword by what I think is the most relevant so that on those sites that do use relevance rank, I don't have to do a lot of extra work.  Especially on Alamy where they have a separate field for most relevant...I just cut and paste.