MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

Read thread below. Would you like to alter Meta Info defaults during image processing via default values?

I don't like this idea. Too many negative possibilities.
0 (0%)
I want to be able to set defaults for things like URL, Author, Location, ETC
10 (62.5%)
I don't care. Just don't let my IPTC data remain stripped!
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: IPTC Info - Need Opinion  (Read 12274 times)

Leo Blanchette

« on: May 05, 2013, 21:06 »
See attached pole:

I'm well along on the IPTC project. IPTC is rather difficult thing to work with, but I'm using a PHP library that takes care of things nicely.

We have an option here:

Lets say your like me and You just fill in "author, keywords, title, description" and leave the rest of the fields blank. No big deal - thats what sites extract.

But we have an opportunity here to set defaults. For instance, here is a typical array:
Code: [Select]
          array(22) {
  ["title"]=>
  string(35) "Credit Card Trap, Predatory Lending"
  ["author"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["authorsposition"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["caption"]=>
  string(123) "Credit Card Trap, Predatory Lending concept. A credit card with a mouse trap built onto it to illustrate dangers of credit."
  ["captionwriter"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["jobname"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["copyrightstatus"]=>
  string(8) "unmarked"
  ["copyrightnotice"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["ownerurl"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["keywords"]=>
  array(22) {
    [0]=>
    string(8) "Concepts"
    [1]=>
    string(7) "Finance"
    [2]=>
    string(5) "Greed"
    [3]=>
    string(11) "Credit Card"
    [4]=>
    string(9) "Mousetrap"
    [5]=>
    string(3) "Red"
    [6]=>
    string(7) "Banking"
    [7]=>
    string(8) "Business"
    [8]=>
    string(4) "Debt"
    [9]=>
    string(9) "Predatory"
    [10]=>
    string(7) "Lending"
    [11]=>
    string(7) "Plastic"
    [12]=>
    string(4) "Loan"
    [13]=>
    string(6) "Danger"
    [14]=>
    string(4) "scam"
    [15]=>
    string(4) "risk"
    [16]=>
    string(11) "consumerism"
    [17]=>
    string(6) "copper"
    [18]=>
    string(8) "Interest"
    [19]=>
    string(10) "Temptation"
    [20]=>
    string(10) "Entrapment"
    [21]=>
    string(10) "Booby Trap"
  }
  ["category"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["supplementalcategories"]=>
  array(0) {
  }
  ["date"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["city"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["state"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["country"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["credit"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["source"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["headline"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["instructions"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["transmissionreference"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["urgency"]=>
  string(4) "none"
}

As you can see, there is plenty to work with here. And when your images are being processed, IPTC data is not carried over. You have to put it there afterward.

We have an opportunity here to have a list of defaults PRE-FILLED on the author page. I'd say "GO FOR IT!" Except there is this - what about legal technicalities? What if someone uses Symbiostock to steal your images and change IPTC data? So what is a really good thing could end up being an issue if used wrong.

The potential here is really cool:

AuthorURL (a value in the array) could be set to your website, which you are uploading to. That makes an easy trackback. EVEN BETTER the URL can LINK RIGHT BACK TO YOUR IMAGE PAGE PER FILE, making a really cool trackback ability.

Look carefully at the array. See potential - we generally only use a few values. Others could be expounded on to give directions to users upon seeing the info. Also search engines do parse this info and use it for various things.

See attached pole:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 21:09 by Leo »

farbled

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 21:37 »
Hi Leo, I don't pretend to understand all of this. So I will defer to the majority even though I voted in the poll as "don't care, etc". If you think it's a cool idea, that's good enough for me. Go for it.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 21:39 »
LOL

Reminds me of that scene on Batman:

Lucius Fox: [Bruce Wayne is recovering after being poisoned by Scarecrow] I analyzed your blood, isolating the receptor compounds and the protein-based catalyst.
Bruce Wayne: Am I meant to understand any of that?
Lucius Fox: Not at all, I just wanted you to know how hard it was. Bottomline I synthesised an antidote.

farbled

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 21:42 »
Exactly! :)

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 21:45 »
Great! The IPTC feature seems to be coming along nicely. Most of my wishes are already covered. There is, however, one extra thing I'd love to see. Let me explain:

You suggested that we change image titles so they are not the same like they are with the micros. I think that was great advice. However, I'd like to keep all my image data in one place (that is my LR catalog). So I was hoping I could use e.g. the IPTC headline field for entering my modified SY titles, then export from LR and upload to my SY site. Now, if your IPTC feature would let me choose to use the headline as title (or copy the headline to the title field) I'd be a really happy camper. Do you think that could be coded?

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 21:50 »
Great! The IPTC feature seems to be coming along nicely. Most of my wishes are already covered. There is, however, one extra thing I'd love to see. Let me explain:

You suggested that we change image titles so they are not the same like they are with the micros. I think that was great advice. However, I'd like to keep all my image data in one place (that is my LR catalog). So I was hoping I could use e.g. the IPTC headline field for entering my modified SY titles, then export from LR and upload to my SY site. Now, if your IPTC feature would let me choose to use the headline as title (or copy the headline to the title field) I'd be a really happy camper. Do you think that could be coded?

I think I understand half of what you are asking.
You want to use "TITLE" For microstock sites, and "HEADLINE" for yours? That could be coded if that feature would be used among many people.

farbled

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 21:53 »

You want to use "TITLE" For microstock sites, and "HEADLINE" for yours? That could be coded if that feature would be used among many people.

Works for me, more for the laziness factor though. I really don't want to have to re-do titles too much. If it can be avoided, I'm in.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 22:13 »

Yes, that way I can edit and store a modified second version of the title and all my hard work stays in my LR catalog. I guess if this could be optional and activated by ticking on this option everyone can live with it.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 22:41 »
there are 4 possible title fields:
iptc: objectname or headline
xmp: title or headline

some agencies like DT and programs like MS pro photo use the xmp title, not the iptc title, so if you can stuff all thpose if they're blank that would be great

i'm still trying to figure out why  some images title don';t get read - this happens on DT amd  some other sitesd, and it happens in SYm too - it seems to only happen when it's a jpg I created in PS that has no camera iptc info, but does have title, caption, etc

in any case, the more you can create something instead of blank space, the better

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 23:38 »
Meta data is a real sensitive (and pretty advanced) system when it comes to jpegs. I don't even pretend to understand it. But I do have a nice GPL library which handles it. Hopefully it accounts for the various quirks. So far it seems great.

Yes - there are a few data formats for meta info. I could keep looking into it to read both (so far it seems it does) but right now I want to at least get it working on a "standard" level.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 00:36 »
I am happy that it reads title, description aand keywords.  I always fill in copright name and site url as well.  I think I would prefer site rather than image url as things change over time.

I will pick the last option in the poll as I understand that one  :)

Will this re-do previously uploaded images.?

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 00:38 »
Will this re-do previously uploaded images.?

Tonight I'm going to upload a version that at least does this for current images. Because I know people are waiting on IPTC functionality.

Tomorrow I'm going to make the image reprocessor so that you can mass-edit images to regenerate watermarks, IPTC, and stuff.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 00:53 »
Just been thinking, maybe we could include explanatory message in data explaining that image is availabe to licence and what that means and that if is found anywhere else an invoice will be issued that will far outweigh original fee  ::)  or am I just being evil

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:33 »
I'm not sure what all the negative possibilities are?  Can someone explain in more detail?

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:55 »
Well, probably more paranoid. I suppose a determined person could find any way to override your IPTC so disregard. I just don't want some person coming back to me say "hey, this happened because you set it up so..."

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57 »
Just been thinking, maybe we could include explanatory message in data explaining that image is availabe to licence and what that means and that if is found anywhere else an invoice will be issued that will far outweigh original fee  ::)  or am I just being evil
I just added it in the instructions field (if its empty) to say the url, person, and contact email if its found to be used unlawfully. You can decide the penalty :D

Leo Blanchette

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 02:41 »
Just a note:
In case you didn't see it in the email, the image reprocessor is on the way, as well as a way to update all of your IPTC data, and even micromanage it. Since I've laid so much of the foundation for it, its quite possible it will be done tomorrow.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 02:51 »
Just a note:
In case you didn't see it in the email, the image reprocessor is on the way, as well as a way to update all of your IPTC data, and even micromanage it. Since I've laid so much of the foundation for it, its quite possible it will be done tomorrow.

Sounds great Leo! I think it is really useful to be able to "spread" your name and contact details that way.
If theres any chance you can take care of the processing for "related images" in the same go, this would be perfect - I can still only process first approx. 250 images out of 2.800 since the script then simply stops. The script seems to be pretty demanding anyway: Once I execute it, I can hardly access my website in the same time (bluehost).

Good luck for these ventures, looking forward to its outcomes!

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 02:57 »
+2
I will try to address that. I'm going to get them "timed" instead of trying to do it all in one shot - so every so often it will "check" to make sure they were all done, and resume where it left off. Thanks for waiting.

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 04:43 »
In new version all info goes to EXIF and IPTC, but Exif Viewer installed in Firefox has problems with displaying some data. Javascript error console shows errors with "Image Locations" and something other. Can someone confirm this or it is only my problem?  :)
And I think is is because this all stuff is too much for current version of Exif Viewer. FxIF shows everything with no errors.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:00 by ajt »

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 05:16 »
Everything looks fine to me :D

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 06:51 »
+1
Sounds great! I would like to be able to add title, description, copyright, keywords, and site url and have it be non-strippable. When i say non-strippable, i mean as much as can be done to prevent the average purchaser from stripping. I know there are thief geeks who can do whatever and strip it...that is out of all of our controls.

What if someone uses Symbiostock to steal your images and change IPTC data? So what is a really good thing could end up being an issue if used wrong.

Can you explain more of how this could happen? How can someone use symbiostock to steal my images? Are you saying that you (or anyone else) actually have access to my high rez files on my server through symbiostock? I am not accusing here, i am just trying to understand how someone could use symbiostock any more than they can through regular channels.

Edit:my hosting company would have that access. Is that what you mean.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:19 by cclapper »

sc

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15 »
Leo,

I downloaded and installed the New version - 1.3.6' this morning.
But it broke uploads.
When I uploaded a new file the mini thumbnail did't appear.

Also not clear about "Upload an image. Save it to your desktop."
Save it from where?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I'm no computer whiz.

I've reverted back to the previous version.

Steve

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 12:00 »
No prob will fix today