MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Depositphoto, there is some fishy business  (Read 5705 times)

« on: May 16, 2013, 21:06 »
+5
Hi all,
I just received an email from Depositphoto stating that they sold one of my images. The issue with this is that I no longer have an account with them. I disabled my account over a year ago (October 2011), and I can't log back in. This microstock business is a true mess.
This leaves me wondering if they are still selling my images without my knowledge or consent.
I tried to search for my images on their site and I found three images in my portfolio. My portfolio exists and it has three images. Back in October 2011 they sent me confirmation email that my account is closed.
So be careful with images on Depositphoto, there is some fishy business.

Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

Kone

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 21:41 »
+3
It could be a simple computer or human error, not necessarily "fishy". Just ask them to delete those three remaining images.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 23:12 »
+2
and pay you!
and while you're at it, charge them a $10 dishonor fee.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:17 »
+1
It could be a simple computer or human error, not necessarily "fishy". Just ask them to delete those three remaining images.

It could be an error, but if you close someones account, the images should be deleted. They confirmed it was closed. Not sure how an error like that happens.

But, if you do a search on this forum, you will find out that they started into business in a fishy way, so it doesnt really surprise me.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:32 »
+2

There shouldn't be errors like this. This isn't a complicated thing.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38 »
This is just another part of a very "fishy business" triangle --- the Pixmac "Takeover."

Pinocchio

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:32 »
I remember reading at one time - probably quite some time ago - that DP claimed they could not delete images, something to the effect their system did not allow it.  That was here, on MSG.  IIRC they also said they would track sales...

I'll do some searches to see if I can find the original discussions, but does DP still claim they are unable to delete images?

Regards

Pinocchio

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:37 »

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:57 »
Here's the thread...

http://www.microstockgroup.com/depositphotos/we-can-not-delete-your-files-fro-dp/

Regards

I'm curious to know why an agency would pay to store content which they don't have intentions to make money with. According to them they need the full res images "for the statistics".

Pinocchio

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 12:10 »
+1
If there's a DepositPhoto rep reading these threads, now would be a good time to deliver an official response - unless you prefer to let your silence speak for you....

Regards

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 21:39 »
+1
You are right, it is fishy.
When an account is closed, there should not be any sales. If there is, it is a violation of your rights to determine how your images are copied (copyright).

That was why I closed my account there. They redistributed the images to all sorts of wierd places.

Meaning: They made money for themselves by making redistribution deals for my content. Thats not acceptable. And I felt I lost control of my copyrights with these 2nd and 3rd order arrangements.

Your strange sale, might well come from such a 2 order sale. Like from a photo agent in a strange country that sold your image to a local magazine, and probably for a price you cannot imagine.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 21:42 by JPSDK »