pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Keyword phrase query on Shutterstock search  (Read 4828 times)

« on: July 04, 2013, 23:50 »
Hi all

I am new to Shutterstock. I have a query regarding the use of keyword phrases and its impact on the search results. What would happen in the following three scenarios if the user searched using the two words - clay & pot:
1. The image has two separate keywords -> clay & pot
2. The image has the keyword phrase -> clay pot
3. The image has the keyword phrase in quotation marks -> "clay pot"

Thanks for any clarity on this.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:05 »
If an image has been keyworded with quotation marks it will appear with out them on ss as a phrase. So "clay pot" will be - clay pot -. If the user searched with the words clay & pot and you had them as separate keywords or with words together as a phrase, I believe there would be little difference in search results.

The point of keyword phrases is to eliminate your images appearing for irrelevant search terms. For example, I have images of Orchard road in Singapore, I use the keyword phrase - orchard road - and not the words orchard & road separately, as if someone were to to type the word orchard they should see images of orchards and not images of a city.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:39 »
Thank you Microstock Posts. That clarifies. As you said, SS removes the quotes and so, there is no scenario where a keyword phrase will appear within quotes. I tried it just now and it works the way you said (quotes are being removed).

I also understand your point about ensuring that my images dont appear in irrelevant searches by using keyword phrases appropriately. Thanks !

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44 »
I have another query regarding SS keywords. SS seems to order the keywords (and phrases) alphabetically even though I submit them in an order of relevancy. Is it OK ? Will if affect the search in any way ? Thanks !

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:58 »
I have another query regarding SS keywords. SS seems to order the keywords (and phrases) alphabetically even though I submit them in an order of relevancy. Is it OK ? Will if affect the search in any way ? Thanks !

It's a good idea to keyword in order of relevance if you are submitting to ft as they place more importance on the first few keywords, but for most sites including ss the order doesn't matter.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 03:07 »
Thanks again Microstock Posts ! Yes, I do them in order for relevancy at FT and I did the same for SS. It is just that it had been reordered alphabetically (in SS). Just wanted to confirm. Thanks !

Uncle Pete

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 09:13 »
As long as the thread is going along the lines of searches on SS...

What fields are searched? Anyone test that? Anyone have any idea on the weighting of the fields that are searched? Name, Description, Caption (even if not visible?) Keywords. Order doesn't matter.

I do have some "Fname Lname" together as a phrase along with Fnam, Lname as singles. I haven't found any difference in the search. If I type in a persons full name, looking for them. Also if I type in Castroneves, (no first name) it's unique enough that I get the identical search as with his full name.

Here I was making nice descriptions for one site, with keywords and relatively important search terms, and someone said "The description is not searched on that site" 

What is searched on SS and is there any ranking of importance of the keywords vs any other searched field?

Uncle Pete

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:48 »
Trying this again without anything else. Something I wondered if everyone knows?

What is searched on SS and is there any ranking of importance of the keywords vs any other searched field?

Seems like it would be of value?

KB

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:53 »
Trying this again without anything else. Something I wondered if everyone knows?

Seems like it would be of value?
I've always assumed that only keywords are searched on SS, but I have no data to back that up.

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 13:19 »
You can tell not everyone is up to speed with what SS posted many years ago about making your description better because of how the changes they were making are going to work in your favor by utilizing the description search.

http://www.shutterstock.com/buzz/image-descriptions

EDIT:

And yes phrases in the search work wonders to find what you are after and to isolate it down to a few from thousands.

http://www.shutterstock.com/buzz/a-guide-to-using-keyword-phrases-on-your-content
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 13:22 by ruxpriencdiam »

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 13:43 »
Thanks ruxpriencdiam for the additional information and clarity !

WarrenPrice

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 13:44 »
Thanks ruxp.  good info.