pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Customers Logging in go to WordPress Admin Profile Page?  (Read 3848 times)

« on: July 20, 2013, 18:15 »
+1
I finally started to test my website (as if I were a customer) and noticed that logging in as a customer is not always consistent.

Sometimes the customer is brought to the WordPress Admin Profile page (which would probably be very confusing for the customer).

Does anyone know what causes this?  And how to fix it?

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 18:28 »
WordPress causes it; it's standard behaviour on the first login, but shouldn't happen again. Agreed, it's a bit strange if you haven't seen it before.

There's probably a way to stop it - check the wordpress.org support forums.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 18:50 »
WordPress causes it; it's standard behaviour on the first login, but shouldn't happen again.

I saw it for the first time when I registered my first test user, but then I setup another test user and it didn't happen.

If you have a user that is already created, it seems to happen if you logout on certain pages and then log back in, but it doesn't seem to be consistent.  For example, if I click on the Image Categories menu, choose a category, choose an image, logout, and then log back in, it seemed to happen pretty consistently for me, but not all of the time.  And now I can't reproduce it.

I was also noticing that the menu at the top right was changing when I went from page to page.  On some pages it would show the Login/Register menu option, and then on other pages it would show the Logout menu option.

It seems that there might be a bug, but I can't seem to get it to act consistent enough to track it down.

quailrunphoto

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 21:18 »
I finally started to test my website (as if I were a customer) and noticed that logging in as a customer is not always consistent.

Sometimes the customer is brought to the WordPress Admin Profile page (which would probably be very confusing for the customer).

Does anyone know what causes this?  And how to fix it?

there are a couple of plugins that will bypass the Profile page.  Be careful however, some of them bypass this even for the administrator.  Just when thru that with one, you have to delete the plugin at the host.  Lots of fun. :( :(

I am testing WordPress Login Redirect right now.  Hopefully it will work better.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:12 »
Aha, I thought my memory as playing tricks on me. My dummy registrations end up on my File Management/Download Page (Client Page on my site) but I'm sure in the past that they landed on the Profile Page. Thanks for bringing this up.

But here's the thing - I've written my "Welcome" email as if the User lands on the Client Page, giving instructions on how to get to the their profile and encouraging them to change their password. And I've written my Client Page with caveats in case they're a new User.

Let us know how the plugin goes. I've had a few days of plugin hell so I've raised my threshold for installing new plugins the time being.