MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Initial submission question  (Read 5803 times)

« on: July 28, 2013, 09:25 »
Hello everybody! I've submitted my first four images to Alamy. I have two questions - do I need to keyword them or include a model release? Thank you in advance.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 10:27 »
+2
Is that your original test images? If so, like all Alamy submissions you keyword, etc them after acceptance (painful process). Same for releases, I presume.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 13:24 »
Thank you, ShadySue! :)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 13:02 »
Is that your original test images? If so, like all Alamy submissions you keyword, etc them after acceptance (painful process). Same for releases, I presume.

I finally have a machine that will do the 8.4 MP files without pain & suffering - the 4 are approved but only some of the IPTC keywords came through - is that usual?  First impression is that the submission process makes IS' look slick  :o

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 13:07 »

I finally have a machine that will do the 8.4 MP files without pain & suffering - the 4 are approved but only some of the IPTC keywords came through - is that usual?  First impression is that the submission process makes IS' look slick  :o

yep its a PITA, I have close to 2k waiting for keywording, over 1 year waiting, guess it will wait a little more ;D

ShadySue

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 13:21 »

I don't submit with IPTC keywords in the file, doesn't fit my workflow. But AFAIK, all the keywords land in one field and you have to manually move them as appropriate.
Remember that all words in your caption are also searchable, so important information which shouldn't be searchable should go into the description. (Usually I have nothing in the description field.) The search will throw up words from any field and combine them with words in the caption. If you keep looking at your files searched on (My Alamy > Your Images) you can see if there are any search combinations you can avoid, but sometimes you just can't. E.g. one of my editorial photos has as its caption that it is the main entrance to the Head Office of X political party, and has shown up on a search for 'office party'. Can't sensibly avoid that.

ShadySue

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 13:23 »

yep its a PITA, I have close to 2k waiting for keywording, over 1 year waiting, guess it will wait a little more ;D
Are they on Alamy waiting to be 'managed'? If so, know that there's a certain time after which unmanaged files are 'disappeared'. I had a photo which I thought I knew what it was but it turned out I didn't and the research was proving fruitless. Anyway, eventually the file disappeared out of my 'not ready' area.
If you mean they're on your HD, ignore the above!

I soon learned to submit small batches at a time to avoid a big load of managing, during which you lose the will to live.
@soundworks: In case you haven't picked up this snippet, also know that you can't just drip up, e.g. 10 files a day so that you can have a 10 a day managing session. When one batch is inspected, all batches you have in QC are accepted or rejected together. So say you have three batches of ten, and one file fails, all files in all three batches fail. After you've been in for a while and have a good QC rating, AIUI they tend to sample-inspect; again, one out, all out. And if your first batch gets in, all your batches will go up together. I think for some time when you're a newbie, they'll look at all  your images.
A long-winded way of saying, you can't force them to ease your 'managing' workflow by submitting daily batches.
Personally, I'd far prefer if you had to 'manage' on submission, but that's just not the way they work. They are quaintly English and archaic in some ways.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 13:31 by ShadySue »

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 15:48 »

Are they on Alamy waiting to be 'managed'? If so, know that there's a certain time after which unmanaged files are 'disappeared'. I had a photo which I thought I knew what it was but it turned out I didn't and the research was proving fruitless. Anyway, eventually the file disappeared out of my 'not ready' area.
If you mean they're on your HD, ignore the above!

yes on the managed, I need to work on them sometime :(

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 15:51 »

It is a PITA but you really ought to make the effort to push them through - or just give up on the site
It's paid me quite well for the last couple of years but this month is an utter disaster.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 15:58 »

It is a PITA but you really ought to make the effort to push them through - or just give up on the site
It's paid me quite well for the last couple of years but this month is an utter disaster.

only reached payout once so I guess that says how Alamy performs for me and why my excitement to work on the managed files, I am having a rare month there with 2 sales (10.1$ and 46.81$ my share)

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 16:26 »
The search will throw up words from any field and combine them with words in the caption. If you keep looking at your files searched on (My Alamy > Your Images) you can see if there are any search combinations you can avoid, but sometimes you just can't. E.g. one of my editorial photos has as its caption that it is the main entrance to the Head Office of X political party, and has shown up on a search for 'office party'. Can't sensibly avoid that.

You could use the term HQ instead. From 'All of Alamy' you can see that none of the sample group have searched for Head Office anything in the past year. So it probably is not a useful word combination anyhow.

ShadySue

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 16:40 »
The search will throw up words from any field and combine them with words in the caption. If you keep looking at your files searched on (My Alamy > Your Images) you can see if there are any search combinations you can avoid, but sometimes you just can't. E.g. one of my editorial photos has as its caption that it is the main entrance to the Head Office of X political party, and has shown up on a search for 'office party'. Can't sensibly avoid that.

You could use the term HQ instead. From 'All of Alamy' you can see that none of the sample group have searched for Head Office anything in the past year. So it probably is not a useful word combination anyhow.

My mistake, when I went in to check it, I found I had written 'consituency office' as that's what the sign on the frontage said.
Thanks for the hint.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 16:43 by ShadySue »