pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is there any penalty if you have a low acceptance rate?  (Read 3854 times)

« on: July 28, 2013, 18:45 »
Hi,

Would like to know if there is any penalty at Shutterstock of any form (other than lost time), when you get your photos rejected often?

Thanks.

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 18:50 »
They have given warnings in the past for continuously submiting images that dot pass. I would suggest that you learn from the rejection notices

tab62

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 21:01 »
No, but try to improve your images. But in March 2011 my acceptance ratio was 51% than 38% for April and 26% for May so don't sweat it.  Now in Dreamstime you pay the price for low AR and they will lower your upload limits.   We all go through this - consider them growing pains...

8)

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 23:39 »
Thanks for the replies.

Actually I haven't gotten into Shutterstock yet... just submitted my first 10 photos on 48hrs ago... so still waiting.

Just asking in advance because my acceptance ratio in iStock is only about 56%... haha...

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 23:59 »
Don't worry about it.  My impression is that you have to work pretty hard at violating the rules to get a warning.  I've submitted plenty of garbage over the years while I learned to produce acceptable content.  I got a fair number of rejections, but not a single warning.  And personally, I've found Shutterstock's reviewers to be more than fair about what they'll accept.  Your mileage may of course differ from mine.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 00:12 »
I like to be selective with the images I upload.  Some sites do display your rejection rate for the reviewere and that does influence how they view you in terms of quality.  They are likely to reject a larger percentage of your images if they know that your submit quality is sub par and other reviewers routinely reject your images.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08 »
Just asking in advance because my acceptance ratio in iStock is only about 56%...
In the good old days when every pixel was scrutinised, that wasn't too bad for a beginner in the first week or two until they learned the ropes. (E.g. I had always been used to applying a lot of sharpening before printing on an inkjet, so it was part of my workflow; it took me a while to work out that's what was causing 'artefact' rejections.)

But if your rejection rate over the past maybe six weeks or so has been 56%, you really need to worry, and I'm guessing (from what I read here) you wouldn't get into SS at all.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 00:43 »
Just asking in advance because my acceptance ratio in iStock is only about 56%...
In the good old days when every pixel was scrutinised, that wasn't too bad for a beginner in the first week or two until they learned the ropes. (E.g. I had always been used to applying a lot of sharpening before printing on an inkjet, so it was part of my workflow; it took me a while to work out that's what was causing 'artefact' rejections.)

But if your rejection rate over the past maybe six weeks or so has been 56%, you really need to worry, and I'm guessing (from what I read here) you wouldn't get into SS at all.

Noted. Yeah I heard that the acceptance criteria for iStock is much lower now. I see where you're coming from so I'll just wait for the result and hope for the best. :) Personally I expect maybe 5/10 so I'll probably need to take some more photos to resubmit. :) Will update you guys when I get the results.

Actually, my problem is my extremely low production rate (I only submitted 18 photos in my whole year plus since being accepted into iStock in May 2012 and got 10 photos accepted). Based on this, I already know I'll never earn any money in this field... so its more like a learning experience for me... haha...