pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

Should Symbiostock Stop Being Affiliated with "Microstock"?

YES
NO
Irrelevant

Author Topic: Taking the Micro out of Symbio (Licensing Question)  (Read 4591 times)

Leo Blanchette

« on: August 01, 2013, 15:17 »
+2
Without getting into an exhaustive drawn out list of proofs that Microstock is becoming a scam, lets just say it is what it is...we can leave it to the eye of the beholder.

It would be great to have a series of *simple* and rather universal licenses to choose from as a Symbiostock site.

It boils down to this - the more complex a license gets, the more loopholes were intended to exist in it.

Hopefully the right ears are listening. I'm a code writer and illustrator, not a lawyer.

Example: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html < GPL

This is the reason your selling direct at minimal investment. That, and a lot of farmers who don't mind working (digital ones).

Symbiostock needs some nice "Symbio" image / content licenses. A brand new system for a brand new idea.

Not even a complex one: Just something that states what you can and can't do with a given image. Varying licenses of varying permission. Not convoluted hard to undertsand legalize meant to capitolize at the expense of the ignorant. Just something good that allows people to do what they do without a great deal of risk.

See attached poll.

Basically instead of having every webmaster copying their terms from other website, something solid and retrievable.

I'm addressing this because not only the premium upgrade but also Symbiostock itself needs to utilize a strong system like this.

EDIT:

To those who might think I'm being a little presumptuous here, the above words are stated due to a lot of more generalized companies coming into Microstock, many of which do not respect the same quality / standards you signed up for. Also recent changes, image theft (g/g deal) etc, have motivated me to ask about this important aspect since we've all invested so much time into this project.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 15:59 by Leo »

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 15:52 »
edit - wrong thread :D  -------------------
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 15:55 by Leo »

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 16:04 »
+2
There's no need at all to use hard coded terms such as "microstock", "royalty free", etc in the SYS theme. If someone wants it for whatever reason it is easy to include in individual design, text, license.
That said, I still believe it would be of great advantage if we could all agree on a basic set of license options to avoid buyers have to wade through a mess of license legalese that's different on each and every SYS site.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 16:43 »
Lately I feel I'm witnessing a decline in this business of "Microstock" and being affiliated with it is almost having an identity of "cheap" associated with it. For instance, Instagram is getting involved in this area now...which means that nobody takes it seriously any more, at least not for much longer.

Basically we're talking about two or three separate issues, but all closely related;

1. Licensing
2. Identity (reputation)
3. Community/Network

All three of those things will really define this. And since its young I thought it worth mentioning this cross-roads we could be at.

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 16:45 »
There's no need at all to use hard coded terms such as "microstock", "royalty free", etc in the SYS theme.
I think those are completely gone now. I agree completely.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 16:47 »
The meta data still shows microstock

I voted Yes

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 16:49 »
+1

I voted Yes
Wow! I forgot that was there. Thanks

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:14 »
+4
Actually, that could be a good strapliine - "Redefining Stock", "A New Approach to Stock Images", that sort of thing.

For once, such a statement would actually be true both from the point of view of what SymbioStock has already done, what it offers currently and the way we go about things from here on in..

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22 »

I voted Yes
Wow! I forgot that was there. Thanks

Enabling the breadcrumbs in Yoast SEO will also still show "Royalty Free Images" which is why I had to disable this feature.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 22:00 »
Actually, that could be a good strapliine - "Redefining Stock", "A New Approach to Stock Images", that sort of thing.

For once, such a statement would actually be true both from the point of view of what SymbioStock has already done, what it offers currently and the way we go about things from here on in..

I like this idea. I hope I remember these straplines when I get around writing a few lines for my SYS site.

@Leo: Just in case you missed it. I stumbled upon the text string "Go to royalty free image." used in file Inc\Classes\network-manager\interpreter.php. (version 2.55)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 22:03 by Pilens »

Leo Blanchette

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 22:44 »

@Leo: Just in case you missed it. I stumbled upon the text string "Go to royalty free image." used in file Inc\Classes\network-manager\interpreter.php. (version 2.55)

Thanks I'll check that out right away.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 14:58 »
One option I have considered is changing my licensing to be more in line with Dan Heller, and with similar pricing. So there would be no need for an extended license. You give the buyer fewer limitations (print copies, etc), keep the legalize simple, but charge a price much above micro.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51 »
It would be nice to have a Wikipedia Symbiostock page and try and make Symbiostock a term for stock sales direct without an agency. I have no problem with taking the name "microstock" out of symbiostock.

My EULA is my version of simple, with a few points made about protecting models and me etc. I tried to make it short enough that a person would read it!