MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 5D Mk II, idiot question  (Read 6042 times)

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:00 »
I have a project in which I need to set the shutter speed and aperture, but the ISO needs to vary according to natural light conditions - but I need the camera to do thi automatically.
However, I've just been right through the Busch guide and must have skimmed over the info.
Can someone point me in the right direction, specifically for the 5D2?
TIA
(PS, it's that specific, no alternative methods, e.g. me constantly switching ISO manually, will work in this case.)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:23 »
+1
;
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:02 by Audi 5000 »

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:33 »
+1
Unfortunately, the 5D Mark II Auto ISO feature is bugged, and does not work in 'M' mode - you can activate it, but it will be stuck at ISO400.

ShadySue

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39 »
I don't think it can be done.  Have you tried it through a computer, I don't know if that gives you more control.   Also see if magic lantern will do it.
Through computer not really feasible for this specific, though that would mean I could manually set it remotely, which would help. Actually, I think I've read somewhere that you can set up a phone to change camera settings, which I may have to resort to.
What's Magic Lantern? Googled it, and I don't see that it offers this.

ShadySue

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:45 »
Unfortunately, the 5D Mark II Auto ISO feature is bugged, and does not work in 'M' mode - you can activate it, but it will be stuck at ISO400.
Tx, that would be too slow most of the time (I need 1/1500s or preferably faster in natural Scottish light (but not when it's too harsh) at f5.6 or f6.7 hahaha).

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03 »
maybe using Magic Lantern there's an ISO fix ?

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:20 »
;
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:02 by Audi 5000 »

ShadySue

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:34 »
Tell us what the project is and maybe someone can figure out a solution.
Small birds (eg. finches and tits) in flight.

I'm not looking through the viewfinder, as the technique involves watching for the birds to leave a provided 'perch', (if I can see the bird in the viewfinder/live view, I can't click in time) and I often miss that the light has changed [1] because I've got whatever photochromatic lenses are called nowadays.

I know one option is to get the birds to fly through a beam and photograph themselves, using flash - but flash isn't allowed in the nature reserve where I'm shooting, and my garden isn't big enough to get a nice out-of-focus area anywhere to shoot against.

[1] Which is why I need the auto ISO.

cuppacoffee

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:39 »
Do these directions help? It's been a long, long time since I've had to do anything similar. I spent a lot of years shooting products in a studio setting. They never moved.

http://www.lanephotoworkshops.com/photographing-birds-in-flight/

ShadySue

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:24 »
Do these directions help? It's been a long, long time since I've had to do anything similar. I spent a lot of years shooting products in a studio setting. They never moved.

http://www.lanephotoworkshops.com/photographing-birds-in-flight/

Yeah, tx; but Auto ISO is needed there, and that's what I can't seem to do.
He's talking about big birds (he mentions Great Blue Heron flying overhead). These fly much more slowly, so he is discussing AF techniques, which don't work for small birds (Maybe the 5D3 is better, I can't say).
As far as I know there are only two techniques for small, fast birds, either the shoot themselves through a beam or the way I'm trying, which is prefocus on a feeder, set manual focus and recompose so that the feeder is 'just' out of the image. Provide a perch on a plane with the feeder, and start shooting on continuous as soon as the bird leaves the perch. 1 success in 100 would be a very good success rate  - there's usually only even a bit of bird in about 1 in 10 shots (the little darling's don't always fly in a straight line, or they hop to the ground to pick up dropped seed, or something spooks them and they swerve away in mid flight, or they turn their head away, or they cover their eye with their wings:

(You wouldn't believe how often that happens!)
I'm making some progress with this, but the auto ISO would definitely help.
I think my 40D has Auto ISO, but even 'not for stock', I don't like ISO over 400 from the 40D - if it's not direct sun (too contrasty) I'm in the ballpark of 1600 ISO, often higher; 800 if I'm lucky.
At the moment, I'm shooting on AV, but the light changes a lot, even when it just looks 'cloudy bright' to me. When it's sunny, the ISO goes down, yaaay; but the contrast is too harsh.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:39 by ShadySue »

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31 »
On the 5DMkIII you would be able to do this, because they fixed Auto ISO in 'M' mode ;)

You could also try the following:

Get a good manual Lens, where you can adjust the Aperture on the lens, set the Camera to 'S' and set your shutter speed, then activate AutoISO. I think I have one in my shelf somewhere, I'll try if I can find it.

cuppacoffee

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40 »
Shady - you have much more patience then I do!

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40 »
I just tried this, it works ;) Manual Lens, Camera to 'Tv' ( not 'S' ;) ), ISO to Auto -> ISO will be adjusted according to available light, Shutter speed and Aperture stay fixed.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:53 »
Try it in the View Mode in Stills/Movie setting with camera on Tv. It sort of works with a limited selection of speeds. If you are lucky it may fit your needs.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 11:37 »
any modern Nikon has AUTO-ISO and you could also tell the maximum ISO you want and the minimum shutter speed.

if noise is still too bad, downsize to 12MP.

ShadySue

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 14:33 »
Tx all.
A few things to try out; throwing money at it, not an option.
Patience for this I have tons of. I got my first camera to photograph birds and it's still my first love tying with other creatures.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:10 by ShadySue »

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 01:25 »
any modern Nikon has AUTO-ISO and you could also tell the maximum ISO you want and the minimum shutter speed.

if noise is still too bad, downsize to 12MP.

Yes, it is really fantastic
But we are speaking about Canon 5D Mk II here  ::)