MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canva  (Read 422469 times)

Photominer

« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2014, 18:00 »
+2
Update, just got my first sale the same day my first little batch of images went live. Not too shabby!

Goofy

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2014, 19:56 »
Update, just got my first sale the same day my first little batch of images went live. Not too shabby!

and many more sales will follow  8)

Photominer

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2014, 20:34 »
+4
Oh man, I hope so. I really need some positive put back into this industry.

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2014, 01:26 »
Where does one see the status of submissions on Canva? I only see the tools for buyers and nothing about my images. (The log-in is the same for buyers and contributors, right?)

Valo

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28 »
+1
This will be an unpopular opinion, but the more people reporting sales, the more people who will jump on this, the more you are diluting your own sales again.

For Canva it is of course a good thing they get lots of content but for contributors it isn't.

We are complaining about Shutterstock having too many images and too many contributors, yet we can't stop ourselves from sharing sales, attracting more competition again.  ;)

I am with an agency which has netted me a few nice sales, but you will not hear me about it.  :)

Having that said, congratulations to all with sales, it is good to see there is still potential for new starters. And Canva is a nice difference from the established micro and trad agencies.

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04 »
+2
Where does one see the status of submissions on Canva? I only see the tools for buyers and nothing about my images. (The log-in is the same for buyers and contributors, right?)

Hey Kenny, the contributor stuff doesn't appear until your content is submitted after uploading, which for you will happen about 20 minutes from now.  You'll get an email with instructions on where to find them at that time. 

This will be an unpopular opinion, but the more people reporting sales, the more people who will jump on this, the more you are diluting your own sales again.

For Canva it is of course a good thing they get lots of content but for contributors it isn't.

We are complaining about Shutterstock having too many images and too many contributors, yet we can't stop ourselves from sharing sales, attracting more competition again.  ;)

I am with an agency which has netted me a few nice sales, but you will not hear me about it.  :)

Having that said, congratulations to all with sales, it is good to see there is still potential for new starters. And Canva is a nice difference from the established micro and trad agencies.

Hey Valo, this is so true, and has always been one of the ironies of this market. I guess it's community winning over self-interest, which for those who do it as a hobby is human nature, but for those who rely on the income seems totally backward. One positive for everyone is that it's better that positive earnings reports come from contributors rather than from the agencies themselves.

Photominer

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14 »
That's entirely possible, but it's really only a worry if you produce the same stuff everyone else does. The name of the game nowadays for smaller producers like me is being "unique" (IMHO).

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2014, 16:17 »
Lee, perhaps half of my isolations (on white or on black) include clipping paths.  Are these what you are looking for that would go straight through to the collection?  And would it be of any benefit to add clipping paths the to remaining isolations or just leave them as is?

Hi, our systems don't recognise clipping paths at this time.  It's something we considered, but we didn't have much data on how common it is, and after asking around and getting barely any interest, we pushed it towards the bottom of the priority list.

We've had images with clipping paths go through our system, and they don't change anything. Those images go into the cut out ("deep etch") queue. 

One of our core philosophies is to not expect contributors to do anything special just for us.  But if you're interested and have the time, you could use the clipping path to isolate the image and then save it as a transparent PNG.  We have very high standards for cutouts, as our customers often use high resolution designs with cropped images (at 100% magnification), but if you're confident in the quality of your clipping path, and/or can do some manual refining before saving as PNG, we'll happily put them through review.  Feel free to email me samples if you want some feedback before you invest time in it - an offer that's open to everyone.  lee @ canva . com

Please keep in mind that our cut out queue is already well into the hundreds of thousands range.  And it's an expensive process to have the images manually cut out to a high standard.  For this reason, the queue is not moving very fast at all.  Realistically, we're not sure many of the images in that queue will ever go through, unless there's some breakthrough in the technology of creating isolations at a high standard.  And we've tested a LOT of technologies for this.  So please don't expect images that go into this queue to come out in days like a standard review queue.  Don't even expect it to be months.  :)

Lee, Thanks for the reply.  I sent you some samples via e-mail yesterday.  I also asked a few related questions that, had I bothered to read the FAQ's I would have found the answers to without having to bother you.  :o

As I mentioned, it's extremely simple to take a clipping path image and pop it onto a transparent background.  Double check it on a black and white BG to be sure the edges are clean and save as a PNG.  For myself, this takes less than a minute as my isolations already have clipping paths as a part of the image.  Unfortunately as the PNG doesn't save the metadata I'd need to send along a small JPG file for this info.  Anyway, if you're happy with the sample images I sent, I'll proceed with setting up an account and see where it goes from there.

Thanks again,
Russ

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2014, 17:52 »
That's entirely possible, but it's really only a worry if you produce the same stuff everyone else does. The name of the game nowadays for smaller producers like me is being "unique" (IMHO).

+1 well said pminer, i was about 2 respond 2 valo but u beat me 2 it.
it is not the same as with ss /is reaching saturation having given away the whole store,
or the goose that laid the golden eggs as in analogy.

this is a new company with a new market. if we do not know what sells 4 our colleague, we would not know what 2 give canva.
moreover, not everyone enjoys being  a clone of what sells, and many have their own niche,
or as pminer says "uniqueness".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 17:57 by etudiante_rapide »

w7lwi

« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 20:53 »
Lee, I sent you an e-mail on this but perhaps others would like to know the answer as well ... at least those, like myself, who don't know already.  ::)

Seems there are different types of PNG file selections in Photoshop.  If you go to "Save As", you get one PNG option that results in a rather large file (as high as 50mb on some of mine).  However, if you go to "Save for Web" there are two PNG options: PNG-8 and PNG-24.  PNG-8 seems to be a low rez compression, but PNG-24 is listed as a non-compressed 24 bit file format.  However, it's resulting file size is comparable to a JPG file.  How this can be without compression I don't know.  That's just what some literature I found says.  Anyway, which of these two options would you prefer ... straight PNG or PNG-24?  One I could submit via FTP but the other would have to go as a DVD via snail mail.

Regards,
Russ

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2014, 10:58 »
Lee, I sent you an e-mail on this but perhaps others would like to know the answer as well ... at least those, like myself, who don't know already.  ::)

Seems there are different types of PNG file selections in Photoshop.  If you go to "Save As", you get one PNG option that results in a rather large file (as high as 50mb on some of mine).  However, if you go to "Save for Web" there are two PNG options: PNG-8 and PNG-24.  PNG-8 seems to be a low rez compression, but PNG-24 is listed as a non-compressed 24 bit file format.  However, it's resulting file size is comparable to a JPG file.  How this can be without compression I don't know.  That's just what some literature I found says.  Anyway, which of these two options would you prefer ... straight PNG or PNG-24?  One I could submit via FTP but the other would have to go as a DVD via snail mail.

Regards,
Russ

Hi Russ, in the context of Canva the biggest difference is that 8-bit PNG files don't support semi-transparent pixels.  If you're isolating photos properly, you really need semi-transparency to have clean edges.  So we suggest you use 24 bit to have the best chances of getting your cutouts approved.

You're also welcome to post a hard drive, DVDs, CDs, flash drive, memory stick or whatever digital media device you have.  We'll copy the files to your account.  We're about to move, so please check our FAQs for the current address:  http://contribute.canva.com/faq

w7lwi

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2014, 13:21 »
Thank you Lee.  PNG-24 it is.  Now I need to get off my butt and put together some files to submit.

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2014, 15:22 »
Is the queue getting longer?  I have been uploading almost 1000 new files, but on the Canva site I'm stuck at 1895 for more than a week now.
As they disappear on the server, I suppose they arrived, at least I hope so.    :(

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2014, 15:27 »
I was complaining too early :  my images just showed up on my contributor page!

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2014, 12:42 »
+2
Is the queue getting longer?  I have been uploading almost 1000 new files, but on the Canva site I'm stuck at 1895 for more than a week now.
As they disappear on the server, I suppose they arrived, at least I hope so.    :(

But anyway, yes, the queue is getting longer.  We've built everything to scale up, but that doesn't mean it's an instant process, and the recent explosion in submissions has caught us off guard.  We hope to have review times back under a week within a few days.  Ingestion - where thumbnails are generated and metadata extracted - is still taking around 36 hours.  We'll have that back down to near-instant by tomorrow.  Growing pains!

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2014, 13:55 »
Lee do you mean for all contributors? i did my first upload 2 weeks ago and my portfolio still empty :-(

in my case, you have any estimated waiting time?

Valo

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2014, 17:25 »

But anyway, yes, the queue is getting longer.  We've built everything to scale up, but that doesn't mean it's an instant process, and the recent explosion in submissions has caught us off guard.  We hope to have review times back under a week within a few days.  Ingestion - where thumbnails are generated and metadata extracted - is still taking around 36 hours.  We'll have that back down to near-instant by tomorrow.  Growing pains!

You are doing great ! Very happy so far.

« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 13:52 »
Lee do you mean for all contributors? i did my first upload 2 weeks ago and my portfolio still empty :-(

Hi Ana, sorry, no.  That's just for photo (raster) files.  Vectors is still just getting started. 

It's very difficult to give an estimated time given it's a process we haven't done before and the quantity of images keeps growing (we're proceeding in order of contributor signup date, but contributors ahead in the queue keep uploading).  It'll likely take us a few months to get to those who've just signed up recently. 

Thanks Valo.  We're all working very hard.  It's a huge task.  :)

Photominer

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2014, 16:46 »
This is fantastic Lee. I got 5 sales in my first month with very few images up yet. I cannot wait for the ones in the etching queue to go live. I think you all have found a very good twist on this game.

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2014, 07:01 »

Hi Ana, sorry, no.  That's just for photo (raster) files.  Vectors is still just getting started. 

It's very difficult to give an estimated time given it's a process we haven't done before and the quantity of images keeps growing (we're proceeding in order of contributor signup date, but contributors ahead in the queue keep uploading).  It'll likely take us a few months to get to those who've just signed up recently. 

Is it possible to review in order of batch uploaded regardless of contributor, rather than contributor sign-up order?  Cause, well, contributors gonna contribute... ;)

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22 »
+1

Is it possible to review in order of batch uploaded regardless of contributor, rather than contributor sign-up order?  Cause, well, contributors gonna contribute... ;)

That would have been our first preference, but the way the technology is at the moment (still a long way to go in development) it's not workable.  It's only temporary anyway - once we're through the backlog images will go through in the order they're uploaded.

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2014, 11:54 »

that's ridiculous!    that essentially means we'll be waiting forever!  images should be reviewed in the order received

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2014, 11:55 »

That would have been our first preference, but the way the technology is at the moment (still a long way to go in development) it's not workable.  It's only temporary anyway - once we're through the backlog images will go through in the order they're uploaded.

when I file is uploaded it has a date attached -- ??? what technical problem??

« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2014, 12:49 »

that's ridiculous!    that essentially means we'll be waiting forever!  images should be reviewed in the order received

Yes, it is ridiculous. No, you won't be waiting forever. And yes, there's a lot of things that "should" be a certain way.  :)