MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canva  (Read 422473 times)

« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2014, 21:28 »
FTP is working again.

« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2014, 10:23 »
Hi All, sorry about the FTP problems.  It's all working fine now. 

Or have I got it all wrong.....

Not all, but some :)

The only reason you'd offer a PNG to Canva is for a file with a transparent background - JPEG cannot have transparency. Not sure what subset of your portfolio would fall into that category, but it's a big win for the user to have objects with a transparent background ready to overlay on their design.

Thanks Jo Ann, you're spot on.  PNGs that don't have transparency are rejected.  Send JPGs for everything that isn't perfectly cut out over a transparent background. 

Note to 3D people, you're welcome to re-render your files on transparency in PNG format.  Some people have responded to that statement with shock and awe, so I realise it can mean decades of rendering time.  Others seem ok with it:  https://www.canva.com/lumaxart    https://www.canva.com/3dalia

Hi Lee!

Vector artist question. Due to vector files processing huge delay, is it acceptable way to convert collection of isolated vector objects in to png images with transparency and upload them to Canva to fast get in and get first sales as fast as possible?

I bgv, unfortunately not.  We don't accept rasterised vectors. 

Waiting patiently (sort of) for my review to go through ....

Our review queue is up at levels we haven't seen before.  I've been telling people to expect images to take a month to go through, but even that might be optimistic.  Growing pains! 

« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2014, 12:45 »
If you're hiring reviewers, I know some people. :)

« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2014, 14:12 »
Yes, they definitely need to hire more reviewers immediately. I have a several hundred that were uploaded last April, and are still under review. That being said, of the 53 photos that have been approved, I can report selling three or four a day since they launched a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 14:29 by rimglow »

« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2014, 21:01 »
Hi Lee, I have images in review at the moment, do we get an email when they are reviewed?

« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40 »
+1
Hi Lee, I have images in review at the moment, do we get an email when they are reviewed?

No Wendy, there's no content notifications on Canva.  In future we may add them as optional communication preferences, but it's not very high on the priority list. 

« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2014, 17:42 »

No Wendy, there's no content notifications on Canva.  In future we may add them as optional communication preferences, but it's not very high on the priority list.
Thanks for the reply Lee, I will just keep checking my portfolio :-)

« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2014, 21:19 »
Uploaded 75 test images to Canva - and they remain In Review after couple of weeks. 

When unloading I was given to understand that they would be on line in 4 or 5 days, but I guess that boat has long sailed.

I understand that while images are In Review I am unable to edit title/ keywords etc, attach model release and so on.  So I guess I should wait patiently till someone gets around to doing the review !  ???

« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2014, 09:43 »
Uploaded 75 test images to Canva - and they remain In Review after couple of weeks. 

When unloading I was given to understand that they would be on line in 4 or 5 days, but I guess that boat has long sailed.

I understand that while images are In Review I am unable to edit title/ keywords etc, attach model release and so on.  So I guess I should wait patiently till someone gets around to doing the review !  ???

Hi Sanjay,

Our review time has blown out recently and images are taking at least a month to go through.  If you're not satisfied with that and would like to leave it until we're better prepared, I can delete your images for you and deactivate your contributor account.  We understand review time is important for contributors, but while we're setting up our business and processes, it's not our top priority. 

« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2014, 16:39 »

Hi Sanjay,

Our review time has blown out recently and images are taking at least a month to go through.  If you're not satisfied with that and would like to leave it until we're better prepared, I can delete your images for you and deactivate your contributor account.  We understand review time is important for contributors, but while we're setting up our business and processes, it's not our top priority.

Having already spent the time/ effort to upload the first batch (75 test images), it would not make very much sense for me to opt for deletion.

Please therefore let them be for the moment.

Now that I know there are teething issues, which preclude Canva's ability to process uploads in reasonable time-frame, I can simply stop uploading further content till such time as things get streamlined on your side.

Best luck getting the site up and running smoothly!

« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2014, 01:59 »
+3
It really bothers me that not many here is complaining about the commission rate, so I will do it:

Lee how would you argue for such a low commission of just 35%? Don't you think 50% should be minimum in this industry?

« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2014, 03:06 »
+9
Canva is doing a lot of new things - micro rights managed, buyer never gets our files, and design in the browser. I'm willing to cut them a fair bit of slack to see if this can fly

50% is meaningless in the absence of some context
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:02 by Jo Ann Snover »

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45 »
Canva is doing a lot of new thing - micro rights managed, buyer never gets our files, and design in the browser. I'm willing to cut them a fair bit of slack to see if this can fly

I agree with JoAnn.  Their approach to image usage is totally different from other agencies.  I've only been with them for one month (Sept. 17) and am approaching my first payout (little more than 70 percent of the way there) with less than 90 images approved and on line.  Would I prefer a higher commission ... of course.  But for now and until they can get all their ducks in a row, I also will cut them more slack than an established agency.

Photominer

« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2014, 12:07 »
+3
+1 with the others. I like that it's a "single use" license that they can actually enforce. Better than the buyers that buy once and use over and over again in various ways.

The other plus is that we could actually see how our stuff is being used if Canva will let us (Lee, is this possible? we all like seeing our work in use...). Rather than using google image search and find a small sampling of our used images...

« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2014, 22:58 »
+1
Canva is doing a lot of new things - micro rights managed, buyer never gets our files, and design in the browser. I'm willing to cut them a fair bit of slack to see if this can fly

But there is plenty of context here! And yes, Canva is doing a lot of very interesting things, but you should still be payed at least 50% when they sell your IP.

The fact that the license is only valid for one time is a great thing, but it is certainly not an argument that Canva should keep 65% from selling your images.

Its really sad that we are now so used to getting screwed with low commissions that there are actually contributors defending 35%.

« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2014, 23:49 »
+10

But there is plenty of context here! And yes, Canva is doing a lot of very interesting things, but you should still be payed at least 50% when they sell your IP.

The fact that the license is only valid for one time is a great thing, but it is certainly not an argument that Canva should keep 65% from selling your images.

Its really sad that we are now so used to getting screwed with low commissions that there are actually contributors defending 35%.

I can't agree.  Canva is doing something new and different and providing a lot of value to its customers with its design tools.  They're doing a lot more than just providing a marketplace for my content, and I have no problem with their taking a larger share for that.

I don't see 50% or any specific percentage as magical.  If an agency uses their share to increase my sales and manages to deliver more revenue to me in the process, they're welcome to a bigger piece of the pie.  Not 80% as iStock did or 84% as they take now, but I think there's middle ground we can both live with.

« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2014, 21:30 »
+2
Lee what is the prognosis on review times now?

« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52 »
+6
Lee what is the prognosis on review times now?

We're still working on the new review system, retraining reviewers and doing some work to help improve search.  All of which means review is running at a crawl.  But in the long term, it'll pay off in faster review times and better sales. 

Buffalo Bill

« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23 »
+1
I had 170 sales (October) so I am in for the long haul on this company! The reviews will get faster down the road so patience is the game for us now.

« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2014, 10:53 »
+1
In general, I don't mind slow reviews, but I have images from October 4th in the hopper awaiting review, a number of which are Christmas images which I now fear won't be reviewed in time to sell this season. 

« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2014, 11:05 »
You're not alone Jo-Ann, 30% of my images uploaded in the first half of September have not been reviewed yet, or are in cut-out queue.  Amongst them are my best-selling (on SS) christmas images.

« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2014, 17:26 »
Thanks for the answer Lee, I guess I waiting impatiently to get some of my images on line :-)

Photominer

« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2014, 18:27 »
+1
I had 170 sales (October) so I am in for the long haul on this company! The reviews will get faster down the road so patience is the game for us now.

I already hate you (just kidding). I'm about a sale a day so far with only a couple hundred live so far. But yes, it would be nice to get more online faster. And I can't wait for the cut-out ones to finally be done.

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2014, 21:45 »
+3

That's awesome Bill!  We'll be happy to have you with us for the long haul.  And yes, stock up on your patience - we're going to stretch it with you.  :)

In general, I don't mind slow reviews, but I have images from October 4th in the hopper awaiting review, a number of which are Christmas images which I now fear won't be reviewed in time to sell this season. 

We missed Halloween, are already missing Thanks Giving and will almost certainly miss Christmas.  If you had fresh images for those themes and didn't get them online before September, then we've let you down.  We wish it wasn't so, but it is.  As per my previous post, sometimes hard decisions have to be made when you're looking at the long-term picture.  We hope you'll all understand. 

You're not alone Jo-Ann, 30% of my images uploaded in the first half of September have not been reviewed yet, or are in cut-out queue.  Amongst them are my best-selling (on SS) christmas images.

Again, sorry about the Christmas images.  Regarding the images in the cut-out queue, don't get your hopes up too high.  That queue is already over 300,000 and it's expensive to cut out files to a high level of quality.  It's never going to be a fast-moving queue. 

Thanks for the answer Lee, I guess I waiting impatiently to get some of my images on line :-)

Yes Wendy, you're not alone.  We have so many great artists' work in our queues, but again, we want to get things solid at the appropriate time.

I already hate you (just kidding). I'm about a sale a day so far with only a couple hundred live so far. But yes, it would be nice to get more online faster. And I can't wait for the cut-out ones to finally be done.

Glad you're ok with the sales - that's something we seem to be bringing in at ever-increasing rates.  I know that's no consolation for those still waiting to get in. 

Also see the above comments about the cut-out queue.  Don't wait for them.  It'll take too long.  :)