MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canva  (Read 422554 times)

« Reply #750 on: July 16, 2015, 11:52 »
+1
I have ard 50 items in Canva and since end of June, starts making money average 35$ ~ 45$ per day and 140 ~ 160 sales per day. But all this last until yesterday when I notice sales suddenly drop even stop whole day! ALL ITEMS showing "404 not found" without any prior notice or email.

Wow, $40 a day from selling designs?

Yes, my friend.

« Reply #751 on: July 16, 2015, 14:49 »
Canva layout designer program, I am guessing they didn't select many people to design layouts, telling from the ready made layouts I see in the Canva tool.

The layouts that are in the tool are always the same,I rarely see something new, at least is what I see,  and they are all made by the same designers, and by Canva.  For instance on invitations that are in the portrait orientation I only found 54 layout designs...Is that all they have in that category do you know?  I can't search layouts by keyword, when I try I only see photos....

One thing is safe to say ---- they are veeeeery selective when it comes to these ready made layouts they put out. 

They have been putting our more online courses out there teaching how people can make their own layout designs, so that could be affecting sales of the ready made designs as well...

« Reply #752 on: July 22, 2015, 18:31 »
+4
So I'd been holding at 375 images since July 9th, but they zapped another batch some time in the last day or two - now it's 356 left.

I took a quick look through to see what had been removed and several are images that have sold repeatedly; there are also a lot of people pictures that have gone.

I haven't seen this promised newsletter with some explanation of what their new standards are - has anyone else received anything yet?

What's such a shame is that sales are going really well this month - the last several have seen increases each month. But if they keep removing things that clearly won't keep happening.

I can't decide if I'm more disappointed or more p*ssed off - what are they trying to tell contributors of photos? You just aren't important to Canva?

« Reply #753 on: July 22, 2015, 19:06 »
+2
I have less than a quarter of my originally accepted files and many of my selling files have been deleted. I have not received an email except a personal reply from Lee when I contacted him.
I am wondering if someone has already used an image in a design and wants to use that image again, is it going to be available to them or not?
My sales came to a screaming halt with the deletions.

« Reply #754 on: July 22, 2015, 20:22 »
+3
One of their designers used one of my images that I uploaded only a few months ago to make one of their premade Canva designs (one of the designs in their search). They "rejected" the image after a little while, but not the featured design utilizing my image, which sells almost daily.  :o
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 20:35 by CassD »

« Reply #755 on: July 22, 2015, 20:48 »
One of their designers used one of my images that I uploaded only a few months ago to make one of their premade Canva designs (one of the designs in their search). They "rejected" the image after a little while, but not the featured design utilizing my image, which sells almost daily.  :o
Do you get paid for the image use?

« Reply #756 on: July 22, 2015, 23:07 »
+4

Yes, every time someone uses the design. They rejected the image over a month ago but the design they made with it and include in their search still sells almost daily. It's illogical and they have given no explanation. For my own sanity I stopped uploading.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 23:09 by CassD »

« Reply #757 on: July 22, 2015, 23:19 »

Yes, every time someone uses the design. They rejected the image over a month ago but the design they made with it and include in their search still sells almost daily. It's illogical and they have given no explanation. For my own sanity I stopped uploading.
Definitely strange

« Reply #758 on: July 27, 2015, 16:01 »

Hongover

« Reply #759 on: July 27, 2015, 20:33 »
It seems like their servers can't handle anymore traffic at the moment. Definitely a good problem to have for a growing company.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 22:08 by Hongover »

« Reply #760 on: July 28, 2015, 01:06 »
I look forward Canva for Work and the new licenses :)

« Reply #761 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57 »
Does anybody else having trouble accessing "sales"?

« Reply #762 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09 »
Works for me (from Germany)

« Reply #763 on: July 29, 2015, 05:58 »
Ok, I got it, looks like I wasn't logged in as my "brand name".

« Reply #764 on: August 02, 2015, 19:01 »
+4
And they've removed another 50 images from my portfolio sometime in the last few days - I'm now down to 306.

This latest cull is even more of a headscratcher than all the rest. It's as if they went through my Shutterstock portfolio sorted by sales and got rid of a big chunk of the top 50 images.

Meaning, I know it's not quality or commercial value. These have no text, aren't easily mistaken for isolated (one of the last culls included several images with lots of copy space, like this one)

And the promised explanation in a contributor newsletter hasn't happened, at least not that I've seen.

It's like being dumped over and over again - you'd think I'd be used to rejections having submitted to microstock since 2004, but I guess my skin's still too thin...

« Reply #765 on: August 03, 2015, 00:55 »
+1
And the promised explanation in a contributor newsletter hasn't happened, at least not that I've seen.

It's like being dumped over and over again - you'd think I'd be used to rejections having submitted to microstock since 2004, but I guess my skin's still too thin...

They have been deleting an average of 10 to 20 images per day for many weeks, and then it stopped.  So I thought :  they finally finished cleaning up my portfolio!  Well, I was wrong, because 2 weeks later, the deleting started again, now at about 5 images per day.

You're right Jo Ann, we are used to rejections in microstock, but the BIG difference here is that Canva does not give us a reason, while all other agencies do. 

« Reply #766 on: August 03, 2015, 02:34 »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 14:24 by amabu »

« Reply #767 on: August 03, 2015, 03:15 »
+3
There's no motivation to upload when we don't have a clear idea of what they want.  Waste of time for us and them.  Such a shame because they have buyers but surely they will also get tired of not being able to use images they want?  I still don't get why they can't put images that don't fit in with their site but sell very well in to a separate collection.  It would keep us and the buyers happy and make Canva a lot more money.

« Reply #768 on: August 03, 2015, 03:35 »
+2
It seems to me that whatever Canva's opaque deletion policy is - it doesn't match with what buyers actually want. Like Jo Ann, Canva seem to be targeting my best selling work for the chop but are leaving swathes of material that doesn't sell on Canva - or any other site for that matter. It really is puzzling and infuriating.

« Reply #769 on: August 03, 2015, 10:15 »
... aren't easily mistaken for isolated (one of the last culls included several images with lots of copy space, like this one)

Canva considers everything with a unicolored background (even if its textured) as isolations...

It's a wall - and a photograph, not a render. It's not a composite either, but a real mirror hanging on a real wall in a real room.

It has the shadow of the chain and the mirror as well as the texture of the wall and paint and all the small color variations you'd expect. If this was a Photoshopped single color background with a created shadow it might make sense to treat it as an isolation.

And what sort of isolation is this grass, blanket and basket I wonder?

« Reply #770 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26 »
Jo Ann, your deleted files were deleted/removed, not moved to the "pending cut-out" section?  If so, this has nothing to do with suitability for cutting out or not.  They just did not want these images, only will we EVER know why???  Same goes for hundreds of mine - NO idea why they were deleted.

« Reply #771 on: August 03, 2015, 11:06 »
+1
Jo Ann, your deleted files were deleted/removed, not moved to the "pending cut-out" section?...

When I said deleted, what I meant was the images previously marked as Accepted, and which had been selling, are now marked as Rejected.

I have a few from the first couple of uploads that are pending cutout (before I realized they didn't want isolated on white as a JPEG).

Other than wasted time and hurt feelings, the main reason for trying to fathom what they want is to be able to resume uploading. Images are selling and each month is selling more than the previous one - so normally I'd be encouraged and upload more work. But I can't reverse engineer what criteria they're using for the images they are retroactively zapping.

« Reply #772 on: August 03, 2015, 13:47 »
+19
Now it's down to 261 and they've removed a bunch of PNGs - I made some specially for Canva from images shot on white, given that their cutout process clearly wasn't happening. These have sold as well.

What's especially maddening about this is that I did these after they said that's what they wanted to see how they'd sell there. They did sell and now they've told both their customers and me that we're idiots. I should probably stop writing about this because I'm too angry to be constructive. Asshats

objowl

« Reply #773 on: August 03, 2015, 14:18 »
+2
Now it's down to 261 and they've removed a bunch of PNGs - I made some specially for Canva from images shot on white, given that their cutout process clearly wasn't happening. These have sold as well.

What's especially maddening about this is that I did these after they said that's what they wanted to see how they'd sell there. They did sell and now they've told both their customers and me that we're idiots. I should probably stop writing about this because I'm too angry to be constructive. Asshats

Maybe you are taking sales away from the Select group of contributors who started with Canva before the rest of us were invited, and as Shutterstock will tell you the Select get first dibs with the buyers.  Lets hope retrospective deletions don't catch on.

It is very strange the less images I had the more sales I got. I had hoped they would leave me one and I would be rich, but they deleted the lot.  Now they have my images and I can't even close my account.

« Reply #774 on: August 04, 2015, 01:32 »
+3
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 14:23 by amabu »