MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canva  (Read 422448 times)

PZF

« Reply #800 on: August 08, 2015, 02:17 »
Sorry if I'm repeating mysefbut....
how do you see how many files are still remaining and actually - alive?  Please.

« Reply #801 on: August 08, 2015, 02:31 »
+1
how do you see how many files are still remaining and actually - alive?  Please.
https://www.canva.com/XXXXX
XXXXX = your brand name

« Reply #802 on: August 08, 2015, 02:33 »
https://www.canva.com/<your brand name>
- this will tell you how many of your images are available as of today for customers to use in their designs
- this wont tell you how many are 'pending cut out' or 'rejected'; for that you need to click on 'View portfolio' under 'Your account' after you have logged in

« Reply #803 on: August 08, 2015, 13:23 »
+9
This morning I got a sale for an image that got a 404 error when I clicked on it. I checked to see if there were any new deletions - there were not; I'm still at 245.

I have no images that are part of designs (that I know of; I think someone said that they show up differently in sales reports).

I located the image in my portfolio and it was deleted a week or so back. How does a deleted image get a sale? Is it that one of the foolish buyers who used my substandard rubbish wanted to make a change and thus had to pay again? Canva's terms say that you can make corrections within 24 hours and not pay for a new license, but after that you have to pay again.

Something about this selling of deleted images seems wrong to me. If Canva doesn't want to offer it for sale, then that's something I have to live with. However I don't think they should be able to have it both ways and continue to offer it to prior customers of that image.

If customers saw that the image wasn't available, they'd complain to Canva about it and possibly this insane policy of removing worthwhile, usable, quality stock would change. As it is, the customer feels no pain, so there's no feedback to Canva about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of their policies.

Except from contributors, who they feel free to ignore.

I forget their terms and conditions, but I'll have a look to see what it takes to get images off their site - really gone so they can't be sold to prior buyers of the image.

PZF

« Reply #804 on: August 08, 2015, 13:50 »
Thanks for info. Just 333 live images then....

And is it me or is the screen quality of the (large) thumbs really bad? Some seem really soft (and I know the photos are ok).

objowl

« Reply #805 on: August 08, 2015, 16:05 »
+3
This morning I got a sale for an image that got a 404 error when I clicked on it. I checked to see if there were any new deletions - there were not; I'm still at 245.

I have no images that are part of designs (that I know of; I think someone said that they show up differently in sales reports).

I located the image in my portfolio and it was deleted a week or so back. How does a deleted image get a sale? Is it that one of the foolish buyers who used my substandard rubbish wanted to make a change and thus had to pay again? Canva's terms say that you can make corrections within 24 hours and not pay for a new license, but after that you have to pay again.

Something about this selling of deleted images seems wrong to me. If Canva doesn't want to offer it for sale, then that's something I have to live with. However I don't think they should be able to have it both ways and continue to offer it to prior customers of that image.

If customers saw that the image wasn't available, they'd complain to Canva about it and possibly this insane policy of removing worthwhile, usable, quality stock would change. As it is, the customer feels no pain, so there's no feedback to Canva about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of their policies.

Except from contributors, who they feel free to ignore.

I forget their terms and conditions, but I'll have a look to see what it takes to get images off their site - really gone so they can't be sold to prior buyers of the image.

Every image that a designer has played with and saved, sold or not, will remain on Canva until hell freezes over and then some.  The designer can open up the saved design and buy it or edit it or delete it at any time, they have control of your image even it they never purchased it in the first place.   You can only remove/deactiveate images which have not been saved by a designer, but you can't identify these and Canva will not tell you.   I asked Lee to remove these images for me earlier in this thread, which he agreed to,  but it didn't happen unless it was the last batch of rejected images.   It's all in the terms and conditions and it is all in this thread.  I wanted out, but that can't happen so I just wrote off the images in my head content to carry on selling my images in increasing numbers. That was until the last deletions of course.

marthamarks

« Reply #806 on: August 08, 2015, 21:58 »
+7
Every image that a designer has played with and saved, sold or not, will remain on Canva until hell freezes over and then some.  The designer can open up the saved design and buy it or edit it or delete it at any time, they have control of your image even it they never purchased it in the first place.   You can only remove/deactiveate images which have not been saved by a designer, but you can't identify these and Canva will not tell you.   I asked Lee to remove these images for me earlier in this thread, which he agreed to,  but it didn't happen unless it was the last batch of rejected images.   It's all in the terms and conditions and it is all in this thread.  I wanted out, but that can't happen so I just wrote off the images in my head content to carry on selling my images in increasing numbers. That was until the last deletions of course.

This is a complete deal-breaker. So glad I never stuck my big toe into Canva's murky waters.

« Reply #807 on: August 09, 2015, 23:48 »
+1
Selling deleted images is weird but at least you are getting paid for them.  If they were still selling them and you were not getting paid then that is a major problem, but as long as they are paying you for sales of deleted images then I don't see it as a major issue. 

The main problem now is a lack of communication about why images are being deleted and what exactly they are looking for so we can avoid sending them those types of images in the first place.  I assume for new images they will be deleted at review time, hopefully with some sort of descriptive indication of the reason for rejection.  That also would be nice for "soft" rejections - it's hard to fix the problem when you have no idea what it may be.  I've had a few of those but can't discern the reason for why they were rejected so no chance to revise and resubmit.

« Reply #808 on: August 10, 2015, 01:16 »
+1
 :) What if you close your account with Canva...and a designer saved your image? and a year later, they decide to hit buy?

Well, is not only on canva that images get stuck on buyers' layouts....It seems to happen on these systems where the customer can save a design for later ... One example of this is Zazz le.

You can delete a product but if a buyer bought once, they can reorder forever... There is also an area where layouts get "saved" ...If you as a buyer began to customize a layout and decide not to buy, it will stay saved there until you delete.  I got a sale from a deleted design...That's my understanding.

objowl

« Reply #809 on: August 10, 2015, 20:24 »
Selling deleted images is weird but at least you are getting paid for them.  If they were still selling them and you were not getting paid then that is a major problem, but as long as they are paying you for sales of deleted images then I don't see it as a major issue. 

The main problem now is a lack of communication about why images are being deleted and what exactly they are looking for so we can avoid sending them those types of images in the first place.  I assume for new images they will be deleted at review time, hopefully with some sort of descriptive indication of the reason for rejection.  That also would be nice for "soft" rejections - it's hard to fix the problem when you have no idea what it may be.  I've had a few of those but can't discern the reason for why they were rejected so no chance to revise and resubmit.

I have just had another sale 17 days at least since it was deleted.  Will I ever get paid for it?  That's very doubtful given that my balance is about 12 dollars, I would need to sell over 300 more images to make payout, otherwise I can pay 2 dollars to cash out.  That means my last 6 sales will go to Canva for the privilage of getting my money out.

« Reply #810 on: August 11, 2015, 08:15 »
+2
That's too bad, but at least the earnings from deleted images are getting credited to your account.  Not getting to payout is separate from whether deleted images are selling - getting credit for sales of deleted images could help you get to payout.

Charging for cashing out at less than the threshold is standard at many agencies - at least they allow you to do it.

« Reply #811 on: August 11, 2015, 08:28 »
+2
Here's part of a note I got from Lee last June.  While we may not be happy about it, at least it tries to explain what's going on with the image deletions.

"And just so you know, the quantity sold doesnt influence our decisions.  Some people buy even the worst images.  The cleanup is designed to have them using great images despite their inability to tell the difference.  Unlike normal stock agencies, we bear a lot of the brunt of bad designs made with our images."

As I mentioned, we may not be happy about this or agree with the way they went about it, but as people have said, it's their company and they are free to run it in a manner that seems right to them.

Lame excuse. It's their fault for not having a proper business plan, which should explain in detail what types of images or quality level they're looking for. They shouldn't have been accepting all those 'worst' images in the first place (and then complain: "oh, the ingestion is HUGE, it's gonna take a while").

« Reply #812 on: August 11, 2015, 13:29 »
+6
They are evolving over time as any good business does.  It is not reasonable to expect that they could have foreseen every possible wrinkle while making up their original business plan four years ago.  I don't like having previously accepted images deleted either but sales are increasing every month so they are doing far more things right than wrong.

« Reply #813 on: August 12, 2015, 21:21 »
+1
Interesting.  I have an image in a "for-sale" layout, I guess, and my sales chart marks those sales as coming from that layout.
https://www.canva.com/media/MABW1Fi6PLA

« Reply #814 on: August 13, 2015, 04:30 »
Interesting.  I have an image in a "for-sale" layout, I guess, and my sales chart marks those sales as coming from that layout.
https://www.canva.com/media/MABW1Fi6PLA
I have got three of my images in their "for-sale" layouts, which probably is part of the reason I get BME almost every month(even in July) and that Canva is my very best earner today. Way ahead of my second earner Shutterstock.

I thought Adobe taking over Fotolia could be good for my kind of portfolio because I do well at Canva, but while I get sales on Canva every day, even in the weekends, I have not got a single sale on Fotolia all summer. Not one!

« Reply #815 on: August 13, 2015, 07:46 »
Maybe a stupid question - but how do you know if you've got an image in a 'for-sale' layout?

« Reply #816 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01 »
+1
Maybe a stupid question - but how do you know if you've got an image in a 'for-sale' layout?
On the list of sales it says you got a sale of "your image id" via "Canva layout id".

« Reply #817 on: August 13, 2015, 08:02 »
On the list of sales it says you got a sale of "your image id" via "Canva layout id".

Thank you.

« Reply #818 on: August 28, 2015, 19:11 »
has anyone had new uploads processed lately?

« Reply #819 on: August 28, 2015, 19:25 »
Aha.

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #820 on: August 28, 2015, 20:28 »
has anyone had new uploads processed lately?

I've sent in two batches over the past week.  Both batches approved within 24 hours (with a few rejections of course  :'(  ) and a few have already begun to sell.

« Reply #821 on: August 28, 2015, 22:25 »
+2
I've submitted quite a few over the past couple of weeks.  They were in the processing folder on the ftp site for a while and then disappeared - no reviews or anything and no sign of them in my portfolio.  I need to ask what happened before trying to submit any more.

« Reply #822 on: August 29, 2015, 04:41 »
I've submitted quite a few over the past couple of weeks.  They were in the processing folder on the ftp site for a while and then disappeared - no reviews or anything and no sign of them in my portfolio.  I need to ask what happened before trying to submit any more.
hmm guess it is not just me ... I have stuff in the processing folder from the 14th.

BD

« Reply #823 on: August 30, 2015, 12:57 »
Does anyone know if they are done deleting images? I thought they were going to send out an email with an explanation, but I have not received one.

« Reply #824 on: August 30, 2015, 13:36 »
+4
Does anyone know if they are done deleting images? I thought they were going to send out an email with an explanation, but I have not received one.

In reply to a support ticket I sent, Lee said there'd be an explanation of new requirements and standards in the next newsletter. That was months ago and I haven't received anything either.

My portfolio size has been steady for several weeks, but the last time I thought they were done they went on a new culling spree. I'm not uploading at the moment - until we get some new guidelines - as they have deleted many of the images that were selling well at Canva and are proven bestsellers elsewhere; I have no clue, literally, as to what they want. Even if I compare what they kept vs. what they culled I can't see any pattern or logic.

YMMV