pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How much does it cost?  (Read 9418 times)

« on: August 27, 2013, 15:07 »

Hi!

A short question, if you have time.

How much does it host to purchase a domain name and the hosting for let's say an year?

Thank you very much.  ;)

ShazamImages

• ShazamImages.com
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 15:13 »
How much does it host to purchase a domain name and the hosting for let's say an year?

It all depends on the hosting company.

I am with GoDaddy.  Domain costs about $12-15/yr.  Web hosting costs about $36/yr.  This is for shared hosting.  Dedicated hosting costs much more.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 15:28 »

Great! Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:10 »
so it cost like $50 a year for a domain and hosting server for a symbiostock site? any other kind of cost will generate?

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:17 »
If you decide to purchase any of the paid plug ins - donations to the designers - tax on all the images you sell :D

ShazamImages

• ShazamImages.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:26 »
so it cost like $50 a year for a domain and hosting server for a symbiostock site? any other kind of cost will generate?

The $36/yr for web hosting was a GoDaddy special.  The normal price is $84/yr.  I see they now have a special for $48/yr.  That is for the bottom-of-the-line plan.  You can always purchase a bigger plan that has more features (more disk space, additional email addresses, etc).

You can also purchase additional services for domains (such as privacy, certified domains, protected registration, premium listing, etc), which will increase the cost.

In regards to Symbiostock, you can also purchase additional themes (such as Amanda's CleanTheme), plugins (Leo has a few and their are 1000s available from WordPress), etc.

It's all up to you.  But so far, I have spent about $60 for the year.  I don't plan on putting much more into it until I see how sales go.

Ron

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:35 »
+4
The free symbiostock site I have cost me about 150 dollars including hosting, and with the paid plugin it will cost me another 75 dollar. I also purchased other plugins for 30 dollars.

You will also pay PayPal 3.4% + 35 cent per transaction.

Bascially to set up a pro SYS site it will cost you 250 dollar in the first year, and every year there after only your hosting costs. The free version will cost you nothing except for your hosting cost and plugins you might want to buy.

So far I made 60 dollar on Symbiostock in two months since going live.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:32 »
for web hosting, what is the cheapest option? if only a few k jpg images, does it has a free option?

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36 »
for web hosting, what is the cheapest option? if only a few k jpg images, does it has a free option?

Free is not good, you are very unlikely to get the options you need to run Wordpress and Symbiostock, it will be full of adverts and they will spam you to death

Many of us use Justhost or Bluehost.    With Justhost you will probably need to edit your php.ini but that is not difficult

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 14:57 »

I looked on BlueHost offers and I see the minimum per month is 29.99 $. Is it correct? I mean is VPS Web Hosting what I should choose as a minimum from Bluehost, right?

Thanks.

p.s.: if I sound dumb, it's because I really am when it's about websites!  ::)

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 15:00 »

I looked on BlueHost offers and I see the minimum per month is 29.99 $. Is it correct? I mean is VPS Web Hosting what I should choose as a minimum from Bluehost, right?

Thanks.

p.s.: if I sound dumb, it's because I really am when it's about websites!  ::)

No, you can choose the cheapest available package. They have this back to school sale right now where you can get your hosting for $3.95 a month. It has all you need.

Ron

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 15:00 »
Back to School Sale! $6.99/mo.  $3.95/mo.*

Ron

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 15:02 »
Here is my pack

Web Hosting   $6.95/month
Domain Privacy Protection   $10.99/year   
Domain Name Registration   $14.99/year   
Site Backup Pro   $19.99/year   
SiteLock Domain Security   $19.99/year   

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 15:16 »
Thanks! I saw the offer but I didn't realize it's what I need.  :o

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 08:45 »
Justhost is currently 2.00 a month for a 48month period

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 08:53 »
I've been VERY pleased with WebHostingHub.com. Only had an issue getting ImageMagick installed but once that was done they rock. They have very high ratings and virtually 0 downtime, live chat for help and finally inexpensive. I'm a very happy customer.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 17:54 »
The free symbiostock site I have cost me about 150 dollars including hosting, and with the paid plugin it will cost me another 75 dollar. I also purchased other plugins for 30 dollars.

You will also pay PayPal 3.4% + 35 cent per transaction.

Bascially to set up a pro SYS site it will cost you 250 dollar in the first year, and every year there after only your hosting costs. The free version will cost you nothing except for your hosting cost and plugins you might want to buy.

So far I made 60 dollar on Symbiostock in two months since going live.

At certain stage, it might be prudent to add the cost of backup ($100 annually for cloud backup option as reported by some members)

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 14:57 »

Hi!

Thank you very much.  ;)

There is a cheap solution available from http://safehavenhosting.net/index.php/content-hosting/sweden/dedicated-servers. WordPress (Symbiostock) photographer websites with e-commerce, everything included, hosted on your own dedicated server are available for roughly $150/yr or shared hosting for just $29/yr (plus your domain cost, can be as little as $2.99/yr). These are very low-energy offers, and power savings are passed on to hosting customers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 15:05 by stuttershock »

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 13:55 »

Hi!

Thank you very much.  ;)

Hi all!

I know this thread is old, but for any new readers stumbling on this, I wanted to update the numbers as things have changed a bit in the last 6 years. From any of the major players (think Godaddy or 101domain.com) you're looking at anywhere from $75 to $300 a year depending on a wide variety of variables including website storage, bandwith, and subdomains. What you'll need depends largely on the kind of site you intend to host (anything from a blog/personal site up to a massive enterprise). The cost for domain names also varies a lot depending on the desired extension. For example, I just purchased a .ai domain for my tech startup and the cost is $160 for two years. I purchased mine through https://www.101domain.com/ai.htm. When you type in your requested domain it will tell you the cost and cycle length for all available domain extensions. Hope this helps!

Pacey

Uncle Pete

• Great Place by a Great Lake - My Home Port
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 08:36 »
+2

Hi!

Thank you very much.  ;)

Hi all!

I know this thread is old, but for any new readers stumbling on this, I wanted to update the numbers as things have changed a bit in the last 6 years. From any of the major players (think Godaddy or 101domain.com) you're looking at anywhere from $75 to $300 a year depending on a wide variety of variables including website storage, bandwith, and subdomains. What you'll need depends largely on the kind of site you intend to host (anything from a blog/personal site up to a massive enterprise). The cost for domain names also varies a lot depending on the desired extension. For example, I just purchased a .ai domain for my tech startup and the cost is $160 for two years. I purchased mine through https://www.101domain.com/ai.htm. When you type in your requested domain it will tell you the cost and cycle length for all available domain extensions. Hope this helps!

Pacey

If you "purchase" your own domain name (because actually you just register the name) it is usually for two years, and that's about $10. If you actually purchase a parked domain name, then it costs more. I've made up all my own domain names, so I pay for hosting and registration, no paying someone who just buys and sells names. https://www.gate.com/domain-names/pricing.html

for example http://www.Motorsport-Monitor.com is shared hosting with four of my other websites, and costs about $14.95 every two years. The hosting is around $100 a year. That's if I pay annual, otherwise it's $9.95 a month for a "business" plan. https://www.gate.com/website-hosting/business-hosting-plan.html

I'd say, and this is all depending on traffic, hopefully that's good news, because traffic means sales.   8)

Starting out, $110 a year. That's storage, hosting and domain name. 2019 prices, virtually the same as I've paid for the last ten years.