pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do you enter Photo Contests?  (Read 4287 times)

JetCityImage

« on: September 29, 2013, 10:44 »
I thought about it today until I saw that they can use my photograph at any time and as many times as they want without compensation.

Thanks - Jonathan

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 14:11 »
I thought about it today until I saw that they can use my photograph at any time and as many times as they want without compensation.

Thanks - Jonathan

Well of course that depends on the contest terms.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 14:51 »
it makes sense only if want to claim to be an "award winning photographer".

you'll not get rich or earn much, but you will get some exposure and therefore some assignments, hopefully from decent publishers.

said that, i just can't see the logic they apply to pick up the winners.
i mean even in serious competitions like Sony awards, Travel Photographer of the year, etc

i would never apply if they ask money, and apart rare cases all the best ones are usually free.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 14:54 »
another thing i wonder, how do you deal if you win and then forget about joining other contests ?
people will read your web site and see "Winner 1st prize mega super duper photographer of the universe 2003".

will they wonder that you were good in 2003 and suspicious you haven't won anything else in the last 10 yrs ?

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:22 »
I've won awards at photo contests and local art shows. I just say "award winning" in bios without detail. Nobody has ever questioned me further than that. I suspect that nobody much cares what you say in this regard.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11 »
+1
I've won awards at photo contests and local art shows. I just say "award winning" in bios without detail. Nobody has ever questioned me further than that. I suspect that nobody much cares what you say in this regard.

i think it all depends on which award we're talking about.

if you're the photographer of the year or you're a finalist at the world press awards it's quite different from winning your local mom & pop photo contest.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:57 »
+2

Thanks - Jonathan

Part of the problem (and I suspect part of the whole reason for contests) is that if the terms of the contest allow the contest organizer to use images for free, they can use all of the images submitted. So, even if you don't win, they can use your images. Nothing gained for you, they get access to a slew of great images.

So generally, no I don't enter contests.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 14:32 »
I used to enter international underwater photo competitions but when I won I couldn't afford to take the exotic trips!!

XPTO

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 14:50 »
When I was interested all contest terms were abusive, so no I never participated.

From time to time I take a look at a contest that may interest me just to discover that the terms are getting worse. I even saw terms allowing the organizers to use the images for commercial purposes!

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 18:01 »
+1
Every day. I always hope that my image of a mundane, but hopefully useful, subject will out-sell the thousands of others submitted by other 'contestants'.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 19:47 »

Thanks - Jonathan

Part of the problem (and I suspect part of the whole reason for contests) is that if the terms of the contest allow the contest organizer to use images for free, they can use all of the images submitted. So, even if you don't win, they can use your images. Nothing gained for you, they get access to a slew of great images.

So generally, no I don't enter contests.

Yes, what a great ploy for those people to freely and usually in an unlimited manner use your photo(s). Even tho you retain copyright, they can use it in perpetuity.

Fogetaboutit

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 21:38 »
Most large photo contests such as Outdoor magazine want full control of your photo, without any remuneration to you if they sell it to a third party. That is what facebook and other social media outlets are doing

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 00:49 »
It's the selling to a third party that stopped me.  I entered a newspaper one a few times (won once, top ten a bunch), and then I read the conditions more closely.  Publishing the photo for free I don't mind, but when the rights to the photo are completely transferable to absolutely anyone (and this is a paper owned by Murdoch's group so it really could go anywhere) well that's another matter.  I was a bit sad to stop, as winning or placing always made my mum really proud and happy, but it's just not worth the risk.

JetCityImage

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49 »
Most large photo contests such as Outdoor magazine want full control of your photo, without any remuneration to you if they sell it to a third party. That is what facebook and other social media outlets are doing

I always downsize the picture to 720 and set the quality to 6 or 7 if they are going on Facebook.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26 »
No

If they are charging for an entry, it's not a contest it's a scam.

Only one I considered was state humane society where the entry fee was a donation and it raised money for a good cause. It then said, no photoshop, must be as shot, natural image. OK so they lost $10 on me. No big loss.

People who keep giving things away, or enter these to be discovered, or post on FB and Pinterest and the rest, so they can be seen, are dreaming of fame by discovery. Really? A famous artist just fell off the turnip truck and someone happened to see them on the side of the road.

Or being seen on Facebook will get you notoriety?

It's the work and the creative images that cause the attention. Not the free DLs, contests, or the free exposure.

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 22:07 »
No, they are usually just trolling for cheap images to use.  I also don't give free photos to the local news website even though they ask for them every night.